how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TheSMJ

join:2009-08-19
Farmington, MI
reply to TheSMJ

Re: Sanding/refinishing oak floor a DIY job?

Click for full size
Click for full size
Finally got some pics up of what I'm talking about.

In front of both the master bathroom (first pic) and entrance to the bedroom (second pic) you can see how the wood is much darker than the area to the immediate left/right of the doorway. The discoloration is much darker than how it looks in the pics, but you can still get the idea of what I'm talking about. It looks as though the stain was worn off and the wood was dirtied from lots of foot traffic.

I also noticed some gaps a little wider than the thickness of a dime between a couple of the boards as well, but they'll be covered by a bed so I'm not too worried about it.

Will this require refinishing, or can all of this be cleaned off somehow?

There are also small holes in the floor from where the carpet tack strips were nailed in, and a couple of ~1/4" holes drilled by a cable TV installer when he ran the coax up from the family room ceiling below (I'm guessing because doing a good job and going through the walls would have taken longer than 2 minutes). I'd like to think I could use wood putty to fill the holes, but I doubt they'd look right after staining. I'm not that worried about the holes, but if there was a way I could fill them in without replacing the boards I'd love to hear it.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada

Could fill the 1/4" holes with hard-wood dowel - I think that much putty would be far too obvious, myself.

The tack-strips, either putty, or just leave them. I'd be tempted to do the later... Trying to fill and match, could easily make them MORE visible, rather then less.

As for the discolouration - I'm going to say (and I'm a phone guy by trade, not a flooring guy, so take it with the appropriate grain of salt) - that the dirt and staining is pretty ground into the finish, and sanding/refinishing is the way to go. The boards look to be in good shape, it's just the finish that's wore out.

Try a good cleaner (murphy's oil soap) and some elbow grease, but if that doesn't do it, you're probably looking at a strip and re-finish.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
reply to TheSMJ

These floors are not *that* bad. Personally, I'd just do it with the sanders I have. I'd fill the holes with wood fillers.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
reply to TheSMJ

said by TheSMJ:

In front of both the master bathroom (first pic) and entrance to the bedroom (second pic) you can see how the wood is much darker than the area to the immediate left/right of the doorway. The discoloration is much darker than how it looks in the pics, but you can still get the idea of what I'm talking about...
There are also small holes in the floor from where the carpet tack strips were nailed in, and a couple of ~1/4" holes drilled by a cable TV installer when he ran the coax up from the family room ceiling below (I'm guessing because doing a good job and going through the walls would have taken longer than 2 minutes). I'd like to think I could use wood putty to fill the holes, but I doubt they'd look right after staining. I'm not that worried about the holes, but if there was a way I could fill them in without replacing the boards I'd love to hear it.

You need to try to determine what finish is currently on the floor. My guess is either varnish or oil and wax. The darkening can probably be lightened or removed using wood bleach (oxalic acid). I use it on floor stains often. It may take several coats overnight or over days. finish up with a neutralizing rinse with baking soda. Personally I would not worry about the carpet strip holes. They are not noticeable once the room is furnished. To fix the drilled holes, you need to use plugs, do not use dowels. If you use a dowel, then there is end grain exposed. With a plug, the grain is the same as the floor.

»www.mcfeelys.com/product/FH-3203···ad-Plugs

TheSMJ

join:2009-08-19
Farmington, MI

How can I find out what finish was used on the floor?

I could try to ask the previous owner, but I doubt she would know/remember.

Should I try to use something like Murphy's Oil to try and clean it, or should I find out what type of finish the floor has first?