spc
Search similar:

uniqs
faze
join:2011-01-10
Reisterstown, MD

faze

Insanely slow wifi in one area of my house

In my living room, directly underneath a wifi bridge (20 feet from the router upstairs) my wifi is VERY slow. To the point where it takes an hour+ to copy a 750MB file from a laptop to a PC upstairs. Upstairs PC's on wifi get 40mbit down and 55mbit up on my FIOS connection. All machines are on Wireless-N. PC's in this slow area always have full signal to the router but the network speeds are just horrid. Half the time when I'm copying files to the PC that sits down there, it times out and I lose connection to it. What can I do to fix this?

Onedollar
join:2001-08-27
Pomona, CA

Onedollar

Buy a new house?

Would recommend run some wireless statistics analyzers to see if there are transmit receive failures. Most likely caused by interference.

Other things you can do is setup another access point, but would require you to run a cable. Change channels etc..
faze
Reisterstown, MD

faze

Well I'm the only AP on this channel, channel 8 but somehow it's still crap.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to faze

Premium Member

to faze
This is a wireless network issue , nothing to do with FIOS. DSLR has a forum of this you may want to check out for ideas
faze
Reisterstown, MD

faze

I realize that, couldn't find a wifi forum on here, though.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to faze

Premium Member

to faze
Here you go

»Wireless Networking
hubrisnxs
join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA

hubrisnxs

buy extra ap's to cover hard to reach areas or go with a moca adapter (preference)

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to faze

MVM

to faze
said by faze:

Well I'm the only AP on this channel, channel 8 but somehow it's still crap.

Channel 8 is not a good choice. Channel 8 overlaps both 6 and 11. See »Wireless Networking Forum FAQ »What channel should I choose for my wireless network?

Channels 1, 6 and 11 are the only channels that don;t overlap.
faze
Reisterstown, MD

faze

If the channel were the issue, I'd be having issues all over. Not just one room.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

Depends where the interference is coming from, you could have a neighbor on either channel 6 - 11 and that room is closest, it could be your material the house floor is made of and about 100 other things.

Best solution is add a AP using a MOCA bridge .. if these terms don't seem familiar, head over to the wireless networking forum where that's all they talk about
bt06437
join:2001-12-03
Carrollton, TX

bt06437 to faze

to faze
if you swap one pc for another & see if the problem moves or stays, that may help.
Any appliances next to a problem pc that can powered off, unplugged ?
faze
Reisterstown, MD

faze

Any PC in the living room has crap throughput.
knarf829
join:2007-06-02

knarf829 to faze

to faze
If you're getting full signal strength and still having problems, adding an access point is not going to help you. An access point is to provide stronger signal.

It is almost certainly interference on the channel you're using from a neighboring network or appliance.
faze
Reisterstown, MD

faze

I have tried every single channel...
faze

faze

I guess they moved the initial thread. One of these can be closed.

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

No_Strings

»VERY slow wifi in one area of my house