share rss forum feed

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
reply to Dreamwiser3

Re: Unlimited Internet option on Rogers for a limited time

said by Dreamwiser3:

Well the answer is easy really. People will switch to them plans and by the end of the year they will remove it from everyone or boost rates through the roof.

Rate increases will happen for sure, but removing the unlimited option does not help Rogers. Rogers no longer does contracts on residential, so people will just leave if they just remove the unlimited option. It's not like they're able to tie people down with this promotion.

technocar2

join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON
kudos:2
reply to RogersElise
said by Dreamwiser3:

Well the answer is easy really. People will switch to them plans and by the end of the year they will remove it from everyone or boost rates through the roof.

Lets get a few things straight here, rogers got this unlimited promotion for only one reason and one reason only and that's BELL's unlimited offer. You think rogers was just going stand around there watching bell dis rogers tiny caps on TV ads (yes bell did have TV ads on this and they were clearly directed at rogers), cable cos don't particularly like getting beat by telcos and rogers is no exception here. As long as bell keeps unlimited on their retail, rogers will too; its not a coincidence that all this time rogers always had larger caps than bell, more generous discounts than bell, lower overall prices than bell, were quick to bring upstream bonding when bell started higher upload and the list goes on! My opinion is that unlimited on rogers is here to stay as long as bell keeps it for their retail. This march 31 deadline will probably be extended if bell does not remove its offer; rogers will never ever offer worst services than bell, we already know that.

Also speaking of higher upload, I find it very disturbing how rogers has simply set it to a max of 10mbps just to be on par with bell. My own experience has shown that 20mbps upload is VERY achievable on rogers this very moment without any further upgrades, even during peak hours (contradictory to what others said during upgrade era last year) but rogers won't increase its upload speed further until bell increases their upload.

Point is that as long as bell has unlimited, rogers will too; rogers will either beat bell or be on par with bell, but never will rogers be worst then bell!

So this idea that rogers will slam the door on the people that got the unlimited deal has absolutely no evidence to support it, all the evidence is against this very idea because bell has shown zero indication of removing its unlimited offer thus roger cannot remove it for their retail.

Now if bell did give some indication that they will remove the unlimited then one could argue that rogers will do the same, but its very unlikely now because GAS rates for bell were cut it half and so indies will offer even lower priced unlimited DSL and thus bell has to keep unlimited and therefore rogers will too. You see all this is interconnected.

JAC70

join:2008-10-20
canada
I believe there was an article that suggested the only reason Bell & Rogers offered unlimited to begin with was a misguided fear of the recent CRTC decision. Now that it's over with, unlimited will be unavailable to add after the limited time period and I don't think we'll ever see it again. I'd also exppect to see it cancelled under the guise of being a "special promotion" in a year or so.

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
I wouldn't be quick to dismiss the unlimited offer. Since Bell's wholesale rate is now the lowest they may feel the pressure to keep their unlimited tier which would also force Rogers to keep their equivalent unlimited tier.

Xstar_Lumini

join:2008-12-14
Canada
reply to hjlow
said by hjlow:

thanks Rogers. At least I don't have to switch to Bell now

You are a sucker, this is a sucker's deal.... how about this, I'll give you a coca-cola pop for half the price if you spend $300 bucks in food at my restaurant.

technocar2

Brampton, ON
said by Xstar_Lumini:

You are a sucker, this is a sucker's deal....

How...????

No contract, you can cancel anytime, fast and reliable connection, something the the indies can never achieve. Just look at the current youtube issues with TSI, been over a month now and its still not resolved whilst on rogers I can stream easily over 100mbps on youtube during peak time, that says a lot about the indies' reliability. Please...there is no better option other than rogers if you want the best internet experience, they have definitely gotten their act together in the internet department and it shows: no throttling, fast download speed, absolutely zero local node congestion, higher upload speed, increased transit capacity and now unlimited. Sorry... I don't see how that's a sucker's deal?

Indies might have cheaper prices but they are not even remotely close to as reliable as rogers at the moment!

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
I'm currently with Rogers too, but I have to say that I have plenty of issues with the reliability of Youtube. Some videos take forever to load. It's not a lot of videos, but it does happen. Really it all comes down to whether their cache servers have the video or not.

I'm going to be switching to Teksavvy very shortly because I'm tired of Rogers finding more ways to get money out of me. I'm on the old Ultimate plan, so to get unlimited my bill will go up by $50/mo or I have to downgrade.

I figure if I'm being forced to downgrade I'll just switch to Teksavvy, get unlimited for about $40 cheaper than Rogers and support a company that's trying to give people options at the same time.

Try to remember that Rogers and Bell will always try to find ways to nickel and dime you.
--
Tom

cpsycho

join:2008-06-03
HarperLand
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to technocar2
said by technocar2:

Indies might have cheaper prices but they are not even remotely close to as reliable as rogers at the moment!

That was a good laugh, nearly spit out my coffee. Reliability means present, future and the past. The only reliable aspect of an incumbent is the ability to screw you over.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
And why is the indie supposedly not as reliable as Rogers? Because Rogers disconnects the indie's customers, provides no route for indie customers after node splits, provides bad routing after node splits, disables DHCP allocations after node splits and other activities to change IP addresses. Because Rogers was as slow as molasses in January at installing POI link capacity upgrades when ordered.

Basically, most of an indie's "unreliability" is due to Rogers.

technocar2

Brampton, ON
said by sbrook:

And why is the indie supposedly not as reliable as Rogers? Because Rogers disconnects the indie's customers, provides no route for indie customers after node splits, provides bad routing after node splits, disables DHCP allocations after node splits and other activities to change IP addresses. Because Rogers was as slow as molasses in January at installing POI link capacity upgrades when ordered.

I agree with you 100% there but where are the Indies in all this, do they not have the balls to take legal action against rogers for this, seems indies just sit on their a$$ while rogers screws them over.

Comes a point where one has to decide is it worth sticking with the indies or go back to the big boys, I tried Teksavvy for 1 year and switched back after one year, call it what you will, rogers is just more reliable at the moment. Nothing you say will change that.

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to RogersElise
I'll have to take this deal. dsl is only 3MB here and no 3rd party's cable offers unlimited in my area. So being as I pay 87 for business 10/2 I'll go express see if I can get a discount and pay the extra 30 for around the same cost. I hope tek is in my area sometime this year and they will keep their cable unlimited ters.

Sucks but WTF can you do.

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
reply to technocar2
said by technocar2:

said by sbrook:

I agree with you 100% there but where are the Indies in all this, do they not have the balls to take legal action against rogers for this, seems indies just sit on their a$$ while rogers screws them over.

You can't really take legal action against a Government regulated service. They could ask the CRTC to mandate SLA and related agreements but I'm fairly sure Rogers would then use that as an excuse to raise rates even further.

technocar2

Brampton, ON
said by mlerner:

You can't really take legal action against a Government regulated service.

What are we...a third world country?? That seems absurd! How can you know that without even trying?
Anyways, I'm asking for legal action against rogers for blunt unfair treatment of TPIA customers! You're telling me CNOC can't sue rogers?

Regardless, no one is even asking for a SLA, all they should go after is equal priority and treatment on all issues, be it node split, DHCP allocation etc and penalization for failing to meet a deadline such POI link upgrades. Right now TPIA relies on the mercy of rogers and that's where the problem lies and rogers takes full advantage of it.

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
The agreement would be on-tariff which would be Government regulated so yes, it's Federal jurisdiction.

Rogers can do it to their own customers as well..

Viper359
Premium
join:2006-09-17
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to technocar2
said by technocar2:

said by Xstar_Lumini:

You are a sucker, this is a sucker's deal....

How...????

whilst on rogers I can stream easily over 100mbps on youtube during peak time

Umm, how many Youtube videos are you streaming at once? Because I know of NO youtube video that streams at 100Mbps. That would be over 3 times that average blu ray rip bandwidth requirement. Which, on most rips is below 25Mbps, with peaks into the 35-40 Mbps. The average is what, under 4 Mbps for HD youtube videos. So I figure, for you to stream easily over 100 Mbps, you would have to be watching over 25 streams at once, at 5Mbps each.

technocar2

Brampton, ON
reply to RogersElise
If you right click and select video info, it shows what your video download speed is in kbps, for me its usually over 100000 kbps. I've posted screenshots in other threads, look around!

Viper359
Premium
Scarborough, ON

2 edits
Well something was messed up. Youtube doesn't stream at 100Mbps. Download something, maybe, but streaming at that, no. Since the vast majority of people don't have those speeds, and like I said, blu ray maxes out, 3D at 60Mpbs.

technocar2

Brampton, ON

3 edits
said by Viper359:

Well something was messed up. Youtube doesn't stream at 100Mbps. Download something, maybe, but streaming at that, no. Since the vast majority of people don't have those speeds, and like I said, blu ray maxes out, 3D at 60Mpbs.

Nothing was messed up!

I think you are confusing the terms "bit-rate" and "streaming", they are two different things. Bit-rate is what video is playing at for example ~33Mbps for blu-ray 1080p or ~10mbps for youtube 1080p, but streaming is when you download while you watch the earlier part of whats already downloaded. So the streaming speed (or the download speed) will be higher (100mbps) but the bit-rate for that video will still be what it was meant to be (10mbps). Even though youtube videos don't have bit-rates of 100mbps that does not mean you can't stream the video at super fast speeds.

Here is an example, the following video has a bit-rate of probably about 7mbps but as you can see I downloaded the entire video in about 30 seconds. Why?..because it streamed at ~150mbps to my computer but I can still only watch it at 7mbps bit-rate; it just means that I don't have to sit there waiting for the video to "buffer" because I streamed/downloaded a 32 minute video in just 30 seconds.

Viper359
Premium
Scarborough, ON
You are right. Insert massive face palm here. See what happens when you work midnights and try to sound all so smart when you first wake up.

technocar2

Brampton, ON
said by Viper359:

See what happens when you work midnights and try to sound all so smart when you first wake up.

lol...

chrismcpole

@rogers.com

1 edit
reply to technocar2
said by technocar2:

said by Dreamwiser3:

Also speaking of higher upload, I find it very disturbing how rogers has simply set it to a max of 10mbps just to be on par with bell.

Firber 15/25/50 are all 10 Mb up. Rogers express is 2, extreme is 3 and extreme plus is 4. Not 10.

Viper359
Premium
Scarborough, ON
He is referring to ultimate, which is 10!

Trentelshark

join:2002-12-11
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to yyzlhr
said by yyzlhr:

Don't bother, it's a system enforced rule. If you don't have internet, TV and Home phone, the system will not allow you to have unlimited internet for the extra $10.

Apparently it isn't and I didn't even have to go so far as retentions. I called in, was calm, patient and reasonable and within 10 minutes on the phone was provided with the deal for $10 (no home phone) and a couple other discounts in the process and still no Home Phone .

chrismcpole

@rogers.com
reply to Viper359
ultimate who? how many people are insane enough to pay for it, 1-2% of the total client base? the only bell's offer that is comparable is the fiber 175 - 175 up and 175 down. Unlimited for 10 will not save rogers. if they don't increase upload speeds for money-making tiers such as express and extreme - they will see the floodgate open. and yes I have express

vincom

join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Anveo
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to bt
my house hold of 5 use between 300-500gb/mnth w/6mb dsl
paying now $37+tx 6mb dsl, $30+tx pots
will cancel both of the above and use voip from freephoneline, we hardly ever use the damn phone anyways w/ 5 cellphones in the house.

just signed up w/rogers, $66 +tx express 25/2 w/unlimited usage, free modem rental/free install, its the only service i have/getting from rogers
6mnth promo deal, can call to cancel from 1week to 5month to see if they will continue/better the offer
if not, by then aggregate should be fully done i then can goto to an indie like start or tsi,

Viper359
Premium
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to chrismcpole
I have ultimate, but I don't pay full price. I pay $49.99 plus tax, per month. I get 50% off, plus free modem. I don't have a single service that I pay Rogers anywhere near full price for.

Maybe for you, upload is an issue, but I doubt for the vast majority it is. If it comes down to speed, and I have to choose, I will take download over upload anyday.

Considering Bell's best offering right now for my area is 25/10, with 100 gigs of usage to my current 75/2 and 250 gigs, I am not even remotely thinking about switching to them. Add into that, at peak times in my house, internet bandwidth can easily hit 20-30Mbps, constantly for several hours. No thanks, my network cannot take a 1/3rd of the speed.

I seriously doubt your floodgates comment. If upload was that important, it would have already happened, and lets be honest, the vast majority of broadband users are clueless to how the internet works, or why. The just expect it to deliver their youtube cat videos quickly.

Tuffcalc

join:2012-08-04
reply to chrismcpole
said by chrismcpole :

ultimate who? how many people are insane enough to pay for it, 1-2% of the total client base? the only bell's offer that is comparable is the fiber 175 - 175 up and 175 down. Unlimited for 10 will not save rogers. if they don't increase upload speeds for money-making tiers such as express and extreme - they will see the floodgate open. and yes I have express

I'm insane enough to pay for ultimate... I'm one of the many where the fastest Bell speeds I can get is 5MBdown/1MBdown. Pretty useless.

Regular charges
Dec 09 - Jan 08 Usage Charge(1415GB@$0.50/GB) $707.50
Savings: $100 Maximum Usage Charge Adj $-607.50
Jan 09 - Feb 08 Hi-Speed Ultimate $122.99
Savings: 25% Off Internet 24 Mths $-30.75
Enhanced Home Gateway Rental $7.00
Savings: 25% Off Internet 24 Mths $-1.75

Tuffcalc

join:2012-08-04
How are you all getting no modem rental fee and no contract? I signed up for ultimate about 3 months ago and the best I could do was 25% off on a 2-year contract. I have no other services with rogers at this location.

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
reply to Viper359
said by Viper359:

I seriously doubt your floodgates comment. If upload was that important, it would have already happened, and lets be honest, the vast majority of broadband users are clueless to how the internet works, or why. The just expect it to deliver their youtube cat videos quickly.

Well, with the migration to Cloud Storage and working from a home office, upload speed would be a critical cost/time factor to facilitate this growing trend.

Rogers lopsided asymetrical speeds are a hindrance/annoyance to anyone who uploads and contributes to the web on a regular basis.

chrismcpole

@rogers.com
reply to Viper359
With 50% discount ultimate will be 61 + tax... so either you're getting some other discounts or your math is a bit off Besides, rogers no longer does contracts, so your 2 year commitment will have to be renewed with 30% off max (no contract). And 50% discount is no longer in the system. And that is very bad. No longer leveraging them with commitment -- sucks. They can't lock you in, but you cant push them that much anymore.

As of upload - yes DL is important, but 10 up is really the lowest that should be offered by any provider.