share rss forum feed

chrismcpole

@rogers.com

1 edit
reply to technocar2

Re: Unlimited Internet option on Rogers for a limited time

said by technocar2:

said by Dreamwiser3:

Also speaking of higher upload, I find it very disturbing how rogers has simply set it to a max of 10mbps just to be on par with bell.

Firber 15/25/50 are all 10 Mb up. Rogers express is 2, extreme is 3 and extreme plus is 4. Not 10.

Viper359
Premium
join:2006-09-17
Scarborough, ON

He is referring to ultimate, which is 10!

Trentelshark

join:2002-12-11
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to yyzlhr

said by yyzlhr:

Don't bother, it's a system enforced rule. If you don't have internet, TV and Home phone, the system will not allow you to have unlimited internet for the extra $10.

Apparently it isn't and I didn't even have to go so far as retentions. I called in, was calm, patient and reasonable and within 10 minutes on the phone was provided with the deal for $10 (no home phone) and a couple other discounts in the process and still no Home Phone .

chrismcpole

@rogers.com
reply to Viper359

ultimate who? how many people are insane enough to pay for it, 1-2% of the total client base? the only bell's offer that is comparable is the fiber 175 - 175 up and 175 down. Unlimited for 10 will not save rogers. if they don't increase upload speeds for money-making tiers such as express and extreme - they will see the floodgate open. and yes I have express

vincom

join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Anveo
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to bt

my house hold of 5 use between 300-500gb/mnth w/6mb dsl
paying now $37+tx 6mb dsl, $30+tx pots
will cancel both of the above and use voip from freephoneline, we hardly ever use the damn phone anyways w/ 5 cellphones in the house.

just signed up w/rogers, $66 +tx express 25/2 w/unlimited usage, free modem rental/free install, its the only service i have/getting from rogers
6mnth promo deal, can call to cancel from 1week to 5month to see if they will continue/better the offer
if not, by then aggregate should be fully done i then can goto to an indie like start or tsi,

Viper359
Premium
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to chrismcpole

I have ultimate, but I don't pay full price. I pay $49.99 plus tax, per month. I get 50% off, plus free modem. I don't have a single service that I pay Rogers anywhere near full price for.

Maybe for you, upload is an issue, but I doubt for the vast majority it is. If it comes down to speed, and I have to choose, I will take download over upload anyday.

Considering Bell's best offering right now for my area is 25/10, with 100 gigs of usage to my current 75/2 and 250 gigs, I am not even remotely thinking about switching to them. Add into that, at peak times in my house, internet bandwidth can easily hit 20-30Mbps, constantly for several hours. No thanks, my network cannot take a 1/3rd of the speed.

I seriously doubt your floodgates comment. If upload was that important, it would have already happened, and lets be honest, the vast majority of broadband users are clueless to how the internet works, or why. The just expect it to deliver their youtube cat videos quickly.

Tuffcalc

join:2012-08-04
reply to chrismcpole

said by chrismcpole :

ultimate who? how many people are insane enough to pay for it, 1-2% of the total client base? the only bell's offer that is comparable is the fiber 175 - 175 up and 175 down. Unlimited for 10 will not save rogers. if they don't increase upload speeds for money-making tiers such as express and extreme - they will see the floodgate open. and yes I have express

I'm insane enough to pay for ultimate... I'm one of the many where the fastest Bell speeds I can get is 5MBdown/1MBdown. Pretty useless.

Regular charges
Dec 09 - Jan 08 Usage Charge(1415GB@$0.50/GB) $707.50
Savings: $100 Maximum Usage Charge Adj $-607.50
Jan 09 - Feb 08 Hi-Speed Ultimate $122.99
Savings: 25% Off Internet 24 Mths $-30.75
Enhanced Home Gateway Rental $7.00
Savings: 25% Off Internet 24 Mths $-1.75

Tuffcalc

join:2012-08-04

How are you all getting no modem rental fee and no contract? I signed up for ultimate about 3 months ago and the best I could do was 25% off on a 2-year contract. I have no other services with rogers at this location.

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2
reply to Viper359

said by Viper359:

I seriously doubt your floodgates comment. If upload was that important, it would have already happened, and lets be honest, the vast majority of broadband users are clueless to how the internet works, or why. The just expect it to deliver their youtube cat videos quickly.

Well, with the migration to Cloud Storage and working from a home office, upload speed would be a critical cost/time factor to facilitate this growing trend.

Rogers lopsided asymetrical speeds are a hindrance/annoyance to anyone who uploads and contributes to the web on a regular basis.

chrismcpole

@rogers.com
reply to Viper359

With 50% discount ultimate will be 61 + tax... so either you're getting some other discounts or your math is a bit off Besides, rogers no longer does contracts, so your 2 year commitment will have to be renewed with 30% off max (no contract). And 50% discount is no longer in the system. And that is very bad. No longer leveraging them with commitment -- sucks. They can't lock you in, but you cant push them that much anymore.

As of upload - yes DL is important, but 10 up is really the lowest that should be offered by any provider.

Viper359
Premium
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to elitefx

I agree with you on that, put it is as you said, a growing trend, which I am sure Rogers will eventually increase. Look how long it took them to give 10Mbps up. At my old address, so close to two years ago, I was in the beta group for 7Mbps. I call it a beta, but that is lose, as most people in my old area never knew they had it, unless they found out about it by accident using a speed test site. I do know that they were messing around with stuff back then. On two occasions we received calls from techs wanting to replace a modem on one, and check (ended up replacing a coax line) our residence on another. these were out of the blue calls, no issues reported to Rogers etc. Other neighbours reported the same sort of thing.

Viper359
Premium
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to chrismcpole

I am on the 75/2 which is $99.99, minus 50%, plus a $7.00 charge then a $7.00 credit for my modem. My math is fine, but thanks

Further, I am not on any two year commitment, and never have been. I have also received the 50% for many years, without issue, even when others have told me there is no code in the system. YMMV

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to RogersElise

There is a growing realization amongst business that cloud computing is a very risky business with data distributed all over the place for security, integrity and data protection. Leaks of data become more feasible from hacking and integrity from network and storage failures.

Cloud computing may be an idea that may (and I hope it will) find its rightful death.

Satya

join:2011-09-11
Mississauga, ON
reply to Viper359

how did u get this deal?

Viper359
Premium
Scarborough, ON
reply to sbrook

I agree, maybe I just don't know enough about it, but I don't trust the cloud for my personal files. Heck, I don't trust most of these online sites with my personal info. Seems every week a major company is reporting a hack.

Satya

Mississauga, ON

if i call in as a new user viper can i negotiate a deal like that? or is it something when you said i am going to cancel?

Viper359
Premium
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms

I get it because yes, at one point I was going to cancel, and have a long history of real issues and complete and total screw ups with Rogers. For example, getting a massive telephone bill from them, when I never had their service at the time.

A new user, I doubt very much will get it, nor anyone just calling because they saw some guy on the net who gets 50% off.

Satya

Mississauga, ON

i am interested in ultimate..but i want to call in as a new customer and get some kind of deal..122 + 30 + modem fee is too much for unlimited...if i can even get it down to 130-135 dollars max for unlimited i would take a deal like that..and wud sign up with them..but i guess as a new customer i don't stand a chance?

Viper359
Premium
Scarborough, ON

You can always read the thread over at redflagdeals. they have a new customer / retentions thread, that lists what sort of deals a new customer could get. I would link to it, but, not sure if that would be against DSLR policy.

iFly55

join:2010-01-19
canada
reply to Satya

@Satya

if you were to get home phone + cable tv, Rogers will offer 70% internet
--
All hail Conservative Overlords!

goldenegg

join:2013-02-27
reply to RogersElise

Has anyone successfully adding the $10 unlimited special to the old 75Mbps Ultimate plan? That's what I'm currently on and Rogers keeps telling me that it's not possible to add it.

Beermage

@rogers.com

said by goldenegg:

Has anyone successfully adding the $10 unlimited special to the old 75Mbps Ultimate plan? That's what I'm currently on and Rogers keeps telling me that it's not possible to add it.

Not possible. They are not adding anything, it's an entirely new package. In other words they're not adding a $10 or $30 add-on to your current package.

The only Unlimited Ultimate package currently available is the 150/10 package for $152.99/month pre discount/taxes. The Hitron modem ($8/month) is needed to get this package.

goldenegg

Why is it $152.99? The base 150/10 package is $122.99, so it should only be $132.99 with unlimited (I have cable, internet and phone).

caca

join:2012-11-19
Kitchener, ON
reply to RogersElise

they won`t do it for $10 on that tier they will only do it for $30 if you want to only pay $10 you have to drop to slower speed

goldenegg

It doesn't say that anywhere on their site though. It says "Now you can add unlimited internet to any package too!" and lists two options: $10 with cable/internet/phone bundle or $30 for the service alone.

They even call out that their internet speeds are up to 150Mbps, implying the deal applies to that tier as well.

»www.rogers.com/web/content/unlim···-_-slot2

iFly55

join:2010-01-19
canada

@goldenegg

it's false advertisement, technocar2 already contacted the office of the president: »Re: Unlimited Internet option on Rogers for a limited time
--
All hail Conservative Overlords!

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2
reply to goldenegg

said by goldenegg:

It doesn't say that anywhere on their site though. It says "Now you can add unlimited internet to any package too!" and lists two options: $10 with cable/internet/phone bundle or $30 for the service alone.

They even call out that their internet speeds are up to 150Mbps, implying the deal applies to that tier as well.

»www.rogers.com/web/content/unlim···-_-slot2

Yea, It's about time somebody filed a complaint with the Advertising Standards Council. Maybe they'll slap Rogers with another 10 million $$$ fine for lying their ass off AGAIN. Look good on the thieves.

said by asc:

1. Accuracy and Clarity

In assessing the truthfulness and accuracy of a message, advertising claim or representation under Clause 1 of the Code the concern is not with the intent of the sender or precise legality of the presentation. Rather the focus is on the message, claim or representation as received or perceived, i.e. the general impression conveyed by the advertisement.

(a) Advertisements must not contain inaccurate, deceptive or otherwise misleading claims, statements, illustrations or representations, either direct or implied, with regard to any identified or identifiable product(s) or service(s).

(b) Advertisements must not omit relevant information in a manner that, in the result, is deceptive.

(c) All pertinent details of an advertised offer must be clearly and understandably stated.

(d) Disclaimers and asterisked or footnoted information must not contradict more prominent aspects of the message and should be located and presented in such a manner as to be clearly visible and/or audible.

(e) Both in principle and practice, all advertising claims and representations must be supportable. If the support on which an advertised claim or representation depends is test or survey data, such data must be reasonably competent and reliable, reflecting accepted principles of research design and execution that characterize the current state of the art. At the same time, however, such research should be economically and technically feasible, with due recognition of the various costs of doing business.

(f) The advertiser must be clearly identified in an advocacy advertisement.

»www.adstandards.com/en/standards···accuracy

goldenegg

said by elitefx:

Yea, It's about time somebody filed a complaint with the Advertising Standards Council. Maybe they'll slap Rogers with another 10 million $$$ fine for lying their ass off AGAIN. Look good on the thieves.

Doing so now.

goldenegg

I just got told by Rogers that their advertisement for the unlimited promotion will be changed soon to reflect that it does not apply to the Ultimate package. When saying that I would move my services to Bell, since I can get their 175Mb/s service at the same price with unlimited, they didn't even try to stop me. Looks like I'm going to Bell.

Satya

Mississauga, ON

not even for 30 dollars per month? as standalone?