spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Rickkins

join:2004-04-05
Mtl, Canada

Why do Quebec cable customers have to wait...??

If I understand correctly, 'we' are already on aggregated. So what seems to be the holdup..?? We want higher speeds....

To quote Mr. Morrison: "We want the world, and we want it now"

MFido

join:2012-10-19
kudos:2
Wait for the CRTC decisions on the costs the IISP are paying ... And it is not only QC cable customers, but ALL customers, both cable and DSL, all provinces

Rickkins

Mtl, Canada
Didn't they just do that...???

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
said by Rickkins:

Didn't they just do that...???

Nope. Still waiting on that one.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to Rickkins
There are two different issues here. One is the aggregated versus POI pricing schemes (which doesn't impact Quebec) and the other is the CBB pricing levels (which does).
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

Rickkins

Mtl, Canada
reply to Rickkins
Hey, just keeping the dream alive....(by being a squeaky wheel)

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to Rickkins
As others have said, CBB (19k$/Gbps) is the problem with Videotron-TPIA.

Someone who frequently uses the internet at a 30Mbps during peak hours almost every day can potentially cost his/her ISP as much as $600/month. When subscribers only pay ~$50/month, ISPs have to make sure this does not happen and the simplest way to achieve that is to simply refrain from offering unlimited on the higher speeds and not offering the highest speeds at all in the first place.

---

It isn't because they cannot, it is simply that it is not economically viable with current wholesale rates and tariff structure.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
reply to Rickkins
Speaking of CBB, does anyone have any idea if this is supposed to be answered any time soon, or are we to wait for the end of the year?

Rickkins

Mtl, Canada
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to InvalidError
said by InvalidError:

Someone who frequently uses the internet at a 30Mbps during peak hours almost every day can potentially cost his/her ISP as much as $600/month.

Seems unlikely.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5

1 edit
said by Rickkins:

Seems unlikely.

Worst-case scenarios do not have to be 'likely', they only need to be possible.

If someone is watching HD Netflix at 8Mbps from 6PM to midnight almost every day then there is a significant possibility this customer is costing his Videotron-TPIA ISP ~$160/month.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Rickkins
95th percentile on a monthly basis means the highest speed outside of the top 36 hours per month (not the 180 hours InvalidError implies).

Watching Netflix at 8 Mbps for 72 minutes per day puts you over that limit, and automatically costs your ISP for the full 8 Mbps; for Videotron, that's $152.

Example: there are 87 episodes of Fringe on Netflix (they don't have Season 5), at (let's say) 42 minutes each. They're available in SuperHD, which does 7-8 Mbps for the whole stream.

Say you want to watch through Fringe. 2 episodes per day (84 minutes) means it takes you 44 days to finish. That's more than a month, so even watching a measly two episodes per day cost your ISP far more than you pay each month.
--

Crowbar1

join:2009-06-23
Toronto , ON
reply to Rickkins
said by Rickkins:

To quote Mr. Morrison: "We want the world, and we want it now"

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_the_M···27s_Over

Rickkins

Mtl, Canada
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Rickkins
Well, I do hope they come up with something soon, as Videotron has just announced that unlimited is coming to their residential internet plans.

»www.videotron.com/secur/resident···nternet#

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to ekster
said by ekster:

Speaking of CBB, does anyone have any idea if this is supposed to be answered any time soon, or are we to wait for the end of the year?

"Speculation" was Feb the latest.

I do believe the CRTC state late 2012 or early 2013.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Rickkins
Does anybody else find it a bit questionable that all three ISPs (Bell, Rogers, Videotron) all virtually simultaneously announced identical unlimited add-ons for their residential internet service, with exactly the same pricing scheme?
--

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33
All withing the last 2 week as well. I wonder if this wouldn't have anything to do with the CBB? But that's just my personal speculation on the subject. I have no idea what will happen & when it will.

Martin

drjp81

join:2006-01-09
canada
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

Does anybody else find it a bit questionable that all three ISPs (Bell, Rogers, Videotron) all virtually simultaneously announced identical unlimited add-ons for their residential internet service, with exactly the same pricing scheme?

Absolutely. Though laws prohibit cartels and artificial monopolies, we should have no illusion that lawmkers and enforcers choose to look the other way when it happens. Just like with the prices of gasoline.

I do believe that's why they (the big 3) are often referred as an Oligopoly. (monopoly on oil).

Good call.
--
Cheers!

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Rickkins
I'm hoping. The incumbents probably already have a pretty good idea about what pricepoints the CBB ruling is going to set, and it does seem likely that these $10/$30 plans from all of them are them proactively securing themselves against any potential customer losses because of that. As in, if they introduced these unlimited plans reactively, and wholesalers dropped pricing a whole bunch, there might be a lot of switchers. But if they proactively introduce unlimited, by the time wholesalers drop unlimited pricing there will already be that option in place as a stopgap.
--

grunze510

join:2009-02-14
Cote Saint-Luc, QC
kudos:1
I had to check Videotron's website because I thought you assumed or made a typo. I never expected Videotron to offer unlimited (of any sort) since they removed that option from 10/1 in 2007, but there it is. I guess either Robelltron knows what's coming, or like you said, they're just offering this to steal customers early, just incase.

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33
It also leaves to wonder, why Telus took the opposite side in applying caps?

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to TSI Martin
said by TSI Martin:

I wonder if this wouldn't have anything to do with the CBB?

My line of thinking as well. Keep in mind in some (or many) cases decisions are made months before the release.

Plus we know, Per Blais, that this decision was to be completed end of 2012 to the beginning of 2013.

So yeah. It's done. Been translated and proofed. Checked with lawyers. The 3 know the decision.

Battle field being prep'd.

The question now is... Will TSI's prices drop enough for people to laugh at the 10 to 30$ add-on?

ns1225

join:2010-12-30
Montreal, QC
reply to Guspaz
It appears to me that Bell came up with the idea first and created a whole marketing plan around it with ads on their website and the new Fibe TV vs. Cable TV ads that aired during the super bowl. My theory was that this is preemptive move covering off any CBB ruling. It appears that the cable co's were caught off guard with this move since none of them reacted immediately, unlike in the mobile business when they react within 2 days.