uniqs
share rss forum feed

Oleg
Premium
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL
kudos:2

[FireFox] FF vs. Other browsers

It could be just me, but in my opinion i think FF is faster than any other browser up there, and it has more extensions. Maybe, because i were using FF when version 0.9 came out. I were using Netscape before FF was released.

What do you all think?

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL

Huh?

But I also have used Firefox since it first came out, and I am still sticking with it.

Tim

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi
Reviews:
·Power-Net Intern..
reply to Oleg

To see if a browser is faster than another they must be set up as close alike as possible. I used each browser as my main browser for at least two weeks to be sure that I was familiar with it enough to have them all set equally. I tried this with Fx, IE9. Pale moon64, waterfox, and Chrome. It seemed to me that I would need a stopwatch to see how much difference there was.

That said I am back to Fx.
--
Whoever said that ignorance is bliss wasn't refering to a person with a computer at his fingertips!

Cure Disease with your computer

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
kudos:1
reply to Oleg

It's a tossup between FF and SwIron for me as they're both pretty close.

I also use Opera and K-Meleon as 2nd browsers although ,I'm not as impressed with them as I once was.
--
Sarcasm is the body’s natural defense against stupidity.

JustBurnt

@rr.com
reply to Oleg

I have not used anything other than FF enough for such a long time I can't give an opinion on how well others work, I use IE at work but very limited, I never really liked it.

I too used Netscape until AOL purchased it and basically killed it.

I always thought it strange AOL purchased it when they required you to you to use IE with their Internet service(there were ways around that though).

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8

1 recommendation

reply to rfhar

said by rfhar:

To see if a browser is faster than another they must be set up as close alike as possible. I used each browser as my main browser for at least two weeks to be sure that I was familiar with it enough to have them all set equally. I tried this with Fx, IE9. Pale moon64, waterfox, and Chrome. It seemed to me that I would need a stopwatch to see how much difference there was.

There won't be much difference on any reasonably fast modern computer, but I still have one old dinosaur of a machine that I use quite a lot where it does make a difference.

I've been using Chrome for a year or more on three computers and it's sometimes frustratingly slow on the old one. Plus, I've had other issues with it. Firefox was possibly even slower, but I had not updated it since version 3.x.x and it was in rough shape, with outdated plugins, etc. So last night I cleaned up the whole thing, went from 3.x.x to 12 to 19 (it was so old that it migrated in two stages).

And I have to say I'm absolutely delighted. It's much faster than anything else and has all the features I liked about Chrome and none of the drawbacks. I'm back to Firefox now as my standard browser. Chrome started out looking pretty hot but I really think Google has dropped the ball with this thing.
--
I go and lie down where the wood drake rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds. I come into the peace of wild things who do not tax their lives with forethought of grief. For a time I rest in the grace of the world, and I am free.

ninn

join:2008-01-26

1 edit

2 recommendations

reply to Oleg

i used Netscape, IE before i switched to Firefox in about early 2010
ever since i stay with Firefox cause i like the add-0ns
i have 26 of them to tailor my needs
i love Firefox
--
Intel P4 3GHz, 4GB RAM, Win XP Pro (sp3), IE8, FireFox 19.0.1 Symantec Antivirus, Malwarebytes' Anti-malware pro 1.70.0.11000

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines
Reviews:
·PLDT
·Comcast

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Oleg

Here we go again.....

I do not care about nano second speed differences or what other other browsers can do or can't do.

I use Firefox because I like it. It's that simple. That. and I have 85 extensions, 5 plugins, 1 Stylish user style and 2 Greasemonkey scripts in use.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

capdjq
Premium
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

1 recommendation

reply to Oleg

I keep Chrome as my back up browser. But I cannot get used to one long general use bar. Plus I find the Options tool confusing (maybe I'm not used to it).
Generally I think everyone likes the Browser they are familiar with and, are willing to overlook its shortcomings.

Vamp
5c077
Premium
join:2003-01-28
MD
reply to Oleg

I don't use Firefox for the speed as I don't really see any significant difference (although Firefox seem to stall far less than Chrome for me). I mostly use Firefox just because of the way it feels and renders pages, I can never really get use to other browsers, they just don't feel right since I have used Firefox for so many years that it's what I'm use to. Open source and a good community and build tracking is also a plus.

--
75/35 FIOS || MSN Msgr: scott001^gmail_com

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Oleg

said by Oleg:

It could be just me, but in my opinion i think FF is faster than any other browser up there, and it has more extensions.

Opera and chromium both seem faster than firefox, though I haven't timed them. However, the difference in speed is too little to matter. I'm still preferring firefox for most of my browsing. I am using rekonq (on linux) for some, mostly because it integrates well with akregator (rss reader).
--
AT&T Uverse; Buffalo WHR-300HP router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.3 RC2; firefox 19.0

Racerbob
Premium
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY

Chrome is faster and so is Internet Explorer. They both start up faster also. If Chrome had a better bookmark manager and a side panel that I could keep open showing my bookmarks, I would definitely use it more often. However, Firefox is like an old friend. It took me a long time to convert to Firefox from IE, but once I saw all of the features and extensions available and set up Firefox so that it was comfortable, the move was a lot easier.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to Oleg

IE10 is pretty fast. Faster than Firefox.

evoxllx

join:2007-06-07
Winter Park, FL
reply to Oleg

said by Oleg:

It could be just me, but in my opinion i think FF is faster than any other browser up there, and it has more extensions. Maybe, because i were using FF when version 0.9 came out. I were using Netscape before FF was released.

What do you all think?

Depends what you mean by "fast". Chrome does certain things faster than any browser, so Firefox definitely isn't the fastest in regards to everything.

Few cases where Chrome will always win:

- Large file downloads from servers with >=50ms RTT.
- HTTPS connections that can take advantage of Chrome's TLS False Start.

Probably not a big deal for most people, I personally prefer Firefox.

evoxllx

Winter Park, FL
reply to Oleg

duplicate post

evoxllx

Winter Park, FL
reply to Oleg

duplicate post

Racerbob
Premium
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
reply to Oleg

Just installed CoolNovo. Nice ! And yes, it is Faster than FF also. I am not just imagining the websites loading faster. And there is a bookmark side panel that Chrome is missing. So far I am very impressed.

YukonHawk

join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY
reply to Oleg

I am on FF Beta 20.0 and it works great. As a secondary broswer I use Maxthon. It's pretty good too but look a lot like Chrome,

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to evoxllx

said by evoxllx:

Few cases where Chrome will always win:

- Large file downloads from servers with >=50ms RTT.

Why do you say that? I get EXACTLY the same download speed for a large file on all browsers. I either get 425KB/Sec if filtering through the Proxomitron or 2.5MB/sec on a direct connection (except a little slower -2.3MB/Sec) during prime usage hours. This is on Windows 8. Being in Hawaii most RTT is greater than 50ms unless I am downloading from a server in Hawaii. I don't know why Proxo is slowing the downloads so drastically as this does NOT happen on my other computer with XP Pro and doesn't happen on Vista Ultimate which I have on a virtual machine.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson