how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

faze

join:2011-01-10
Reisterstown, MD

VERY slow wifi in one area of my house

In my living room, directly underneath a wifi bridge (20 feet from the router upstairs) my wifi is VERY slow. To the point where it takes an hour+ to copy a 750MB file from a laptop to a PC upstairs. Upstairs PC's on wifi get 40mbit down and 55mbit up on my FIOS connection. All machines are on Wireless-N. PC's in this slow area always have full signal to the router but the network speeds are just horrid. Half the time when I'm copying files to the PC that sits down there, it times out and I lose connection to it. What can I do to fix this?

Hopefully that makes sense...

jimbopalmer
Tsar of all the Rushers

join:2008-06-02
Greenwood, MS
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

This is very much how 'omnidirectional' antennas work. They send the vast majority of the signal perpendicular to the antenna. This is usually a horizontal 'donut' when the antenna points up

»www.wlanantennas.com/images/2439···tion.gif

If you have dual antennas, you may wish to slope them down some or lay one horizontal.

The real solution is one Wireless Access Point per floor.

Sorry
--
I tried to remain child-like, all I achieved was childish.

faze

Reisterstown, MD

Upstairs router has one antenna. Bridge right above this wifi adapter has no antennas.

So what would I do here?

jimbopalmer
Tsar of all the Rushers

Greenwood, MS
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

2 edits

said by jimbopalmer:

The real solution is one Wireless Access Point per floor.

Sorry

said by faze:

So what would I do here?

I would run a network cable down from the router upstairs to the new Wireless Access Point for this floor, personally.

Perhaps one closet upstairs is over a closet downstairs.

If that is not a choice, you could add a WAP upstairs that has antennas you could 'aim' to cover downstairs, assuming 2.4 Ghz:
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···-704-049

For 5 ghz it goes way up: »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···33156290

Either way, same SSID as the router and bridge, but different channel.

--

faze

Reisterstown, MD

I rent so I can run a network cable between floors.

3/5 stars, you sure that's a reliable product? The last TP-Link wifi device I had overheated. It was a wifi adapter.

jimbopalmer
Tsar of all the Rushers

Greenwood, MS
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

I use a lot of the cheaper TL-WA701ND (one antenna) and the now discontinued TL-WA500G as Wireless Bridges. They are dead reliable for me.

(they keep wanting copiers where there is no wired connection, TP-Link works fine for that. So far they have never tried to install a copier on a floor with no network jack anywhere, so I have not needed the multiple antenna version)
--

faze

Reisterstown, MD

What about buying a wireless bridge and putting it downstairs, directly under the router upstairs? Would that help? I mean I guess it depends...

faze

Reisterstown, MD
reply to faze

So in the other (dupe) thread it was said that channel 1, 6 and 11 are the best. So those channels have average to poor clarity. How will switching to them fix my issue?

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
reply to faze

Have you looked at ethernet powerline adapters or a wifi powerline adapter.

faze

Reisterstown, MD

I'm in a townhome, and I've heard in living situations like mine those are not secure.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

said by faze:

I've heard in living situations like mine those are not secure.

Ok.......powerline adapters are not a option for you.

faze

Reisterstown, MD

For the sole reason that I don't know how the homes are wired.

Have to figure out this wireless issue, somehow.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

said by faze:

I rent so I can run a network cable between floors.

The ideal solution is a network cable.......With some ingenuity it can be done inconspicuously.

faze

Reisterstown, MD

When renting one cannot alter the property.

faze

Reisterstown, MD

Other suggestions?

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:5
reply to faze

»www.antenna-theory.com/basics/ra···ern.html

faze

Reisterstown, MD

So... I'm not a wireless guy so I don't understand that.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:5

Being directly above is not good...the signal strength is very low there.

faze

Reisterstown, MD

So why is the kitchen (directly under the router) fine but the living room is crap (directly below and over a room)?

Expand your moderator at work

faze

Reisterstown, MD

1 edit
reply to faze

Re: VERY slow wifi in one area of my house

Any other help on this? I can't stream media or copy files to this PC anymore, everything just times out. Really starting to irritate me.

Channel 8 got me decent download speeds but channel 1, 6 and 11 have horrible clarity near me. 7-10 networks per channel. Channels 8 and 9 are empty generally. But they overlap.

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6

If the 2.4GHz band is that crowded, your options are limited. Moving to 5GHz means all of your endpoint devices have to be compatible.

I have one customer using a repeater like this one with good results: »www.amazon.com/Uspeed-Wireless-N···8&sr=1-3

Easy to set up. Inexpensive. Cuts your maximum theoretical bandwidth in half, but I think you'd be pretty happy with 50mbps or more.

faze

Reisterstown, MD

1 edit

I dunno if I need a repeater... If the issue is interference between floors, won't that just repeat the same fuzzy signal? Speed elsewhere in the house is fine. Just the living room is like a black hole.

What about homeplugs? Are they securable at all?

No_Strings
The OC

I thought you ruled out homeplug a number of posts ago. »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HomePlug#Security

The problem is interference from many other sources.and the radiation pattern of the primary source. You mention a dead spot directly below the bridge. It's common for an omnidirectional antenna to have a hole in the pattern as mentioned earlier. Not sure why the bridge is being used. I assume because of the spectrum congestion and poor coverage by the Verizon router.

A repeater would be placed part way between the source and the target area. It will pick up your signal and rebroadcast it to provide coverage.

Another way to go is to ditch the VZ router's wireless and add a good small business grade access point. You should be able to easily cover a small two-story townhouse with wireless.

faze

Reisterstown, MD

I do have a WRT54G lying around...

No_Strings
The OC

Probably won't buy you much given your description of the environment but it wouldn't cost anything to try it.

faze

Reisterstown, MD

So the repeater will help with a more "full" signal? Also the WRT54G has more than one antenna which could help...

No_Strings
The OC

A repeater extends the usable range of the signal.

The WRT54G probably only transmits on one antenna. Its only value would be if its wireless capabilities (the combination of the radio and the antenna design) are better than the VZ Actiontech.

Try it and see.

faze

Reisterstown, MD

So you're saying that the repeater you linked on Amazon a bit ago should (even though I have 100% signal through the house) speed up the dead zone area?

No_Strings
The OC

I missed the part where you said you had 100% signal. I thought you had a dead spot.

No, the repeater won't help. I'm out of ideas other than running wires. With 7-10 other wireless networks on each channel, WiFi is going to be problematic.