uniqs
share rss forum feed

faze

join:2011-01-10
Reisterstown, MD

1 edit
reply to faze

Re: VERY slow wifi in one area of my house

Any other help on this? I can't stream media or copy files to this PC anymore, everything just times out. Really starting to irritate me.

Channel 8 got me decent download speeds but channel 1, 6 and 11 have horrible clarity near me. 7-10 networks per channel. Channels 8 and 9 are empty generally. But they overlap.

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6

If the 2.4GHz band is that crowded, your options are limited. Moving to 5GHz means all of your endpoint devices have to be compatible.

I have one customer using a repeater like this one with good results: »www.amazon.com/Uspeed-Wireless-N···8&sr=1-3

Easy to set up. Inexpensive. Cuts your maximum theoretical bandwidth in half, but I think you'd be pretty happy with 50mbps or more.

faze

Reisterstown, MD

1 edit

I dunno if I need a repeater... If the issue is interference between floors, won't that just repeat the same fuzzy signal? Speed elsewhere in the house is fine. Just the living room is like a black hole.

What about homeplugs? Are they securable at all?

No_Strings
The OC

I thought you ruled out homeplug a number of posts ago. »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HomePlug#Security

The problem is interference from many other sources.and the radiation pattern of the primary source. You mention a dead spot directly below the bridge. It's common for an omnidirectional antenna to have a hole in the pattern as mentioned earlier. Not sure why the bridge is being used. I assume because of the spectrum congestion and poor coverage by the Verizon router.

A repeater would be placed part way between the source and the target area. It will pick up your signal and rebroadcast it to provide coverage.

Another way to go is to ditch the VZ router's wireless and add a good small business grade access point. You should be able to easily cover a small two-story townhouse with wireless.

faze

Reisterstown, MD

I do have a WRT54G lying around...

No_Strings
The OC

Probably won't buy you much given your description of the environment but it wouldn't cost anything to try it.

faze

Reisterstown, MD

So the repeater will help with a more "full" signal? Also the WRT54G has more than one antenna which could help...

No_Strings
The OC

A repeater extends the usable range of the signal.

The WRT54G probably only transmits on one antenna. Its only value would be if its wireless capabilities (the combination of the radio and the antenna design) are better than the VZ Actiontech.

Try it and see.

faze

Reisterstown, MD

So you're saying that the repeater you linked on Amazon a bit ago should (even though I have 100% signal through the house) speed up the dead zone area?

No_Strings
The OC

I missed the part where you said you had 100% signal. I thought you had a dead spot.

No, the repeater won't help. I'm out of ideas other than running wires. With 7-10 other wireless networks on each channel, WiFi is going to be problematic.

faze

Reisterstown, MD

Oh, yeah I have 100% signal everywhere, except the basement obviously.

Yeah I guess it's just noisey. Anything I can do about that or no? It's just weird that speed is only an issue in one spot. Nowhere else.

faze

Reisterstown, MD

Oh this makes it even more complicated...

Speed test on the PC in the living room gets 7bmit down and 18mbit up. Nowhere near the bandwidth I'm getting for file copies that goes between nothing (timing out) and 3mb/s.

So frustrating! lol

faze

Reisterstown, MD

I turned off compatibility mode on the router, so it's only on N.

Didn't help speeds in the living room as far as speedtest.net is concerned, but I'm at 15% of a 1gb file and it hasn't timed out yet.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
kudos:3
reply to faze

With the number of networks around you, there are very few options to resolve your problem. You either need to switch to something with less interference, or move the units that need to communicate closer together.

I would start with simultaneous dual-band routers or access points. Put one on each floor, in the center of the area that needs covered, about a foot below the ceiling. Any networked device that does not move should be wired, if at all possible. The next best option is power-line and then 5ghz wireless. A 2.4ghz 'repeater' will just add to your problems, unless it is a dual-radio unit.

faze

Reisterstown, MD

I am thinking about powerline but I'm not sure how secure that is in a townhome. They're brand new houses but ya never know... The people on either side of me aren't really the brightest crayons in the box but I would rather be safe.

I switched to pure 802.11n and I copied a 1 gig file in about 15 mins. Just now finished as I typed this up. Speeds were around 1mb/s average.

So maybe have an AP downstairs (not in the living room)?

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
kudos:3

Power-line is secure, and most units have a utility that will let you change the network password to keep others from connecting. It is difficult to get a signal past the power meter, and almost impossible to get it past the transformer. I wouldn't worry about the neighbors connecting to your power-line network.

The AP should be placed in the center of the area that needs covered (not the center of the house). It may help to move your AP to the first floor. I can see a lot of wireless networks with my laptop when upstairs in the bedroom, but not very many when downstairs. The transmission rate from the AP is affected by how many wireless networks it can see.

My house is two stories. I have three AP's placed on the first floor. One is on the outer south wall, just west of center, one on the outer north wall just east of center, and one in the center on the outer east wall. I have a fourth AP in the shop on the other side of the back yard (about 150 feet away). I have good coverage and seamless roaming all through the house, down the driveway, in the back yard, and around the shop.

faze

Reisterstown, MD

Thanks for the info.

Was just worried about the townhomes being looped together somehow as far as homeplugs are concerned.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:16
reply to faze

Did you happen to read this line from the link John Galt provided?

quote:
along the z-axis, which would correspond to the radiation directly overhead the antenna, there is very little power transmitted. In the x-y plane (perpendicular to the z-axis), the radiation is maximum.
As a rule, it should follow that directly below the antenna should
be very weak, you might be getting some reflection or something.

If it hasn't already been suggested, get a laptop with inssider / netstumbler and record the signal strengths in various locations.

My 00000010bits.

Regards

faze

Reisterstown, MD

So the end result of this issue is my SNR is like 30ish and my signal quality is 45-50% between floors. I'm just going to run CAT5 between floors.

But the question of streaming media from the downstairs media server to upstairs comes back into question. Since I'm wiring the floors together, (switch upstairs/downstairs) how do I speed up streaming media and stop lag? The switch that downstairs will plug into upstairs is also a wireless bridge, I guess that'll help for upstairs?

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:4
reply to faze

Even after reading this thread I dont have a solid comprehension of ....
a. layour of your living spaces
b. what equipments you have
c. what functionality you would like to have and where.

In describing C, do not mention the equipment in b. this will force you not to focus on solution but on requirements and then perhaps we can be of better assistance.

For single antenna not adjustable why not tilt the router 90 deg
--
Ain't nuthin but the blues! "Albert Collins".
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment

faze

Reisterstown, MD

Layout is pretty simple. Two story townhome.

I have an Actiontec router upstairs. Wireless downstairs sucks a fatty.

I would like the wireless issues downstairs to go away. Signal quality is in the 40% range.

faze

Reisterstown, MD

I also put a second wireless bridge downstairs in the center of the floor, didn't help signal quality much. Still around 53%. I increased TX power from the default of 20 to 40. Antenna gain is 0. Maybe increase that?

faze

Reisterstown, MD

Click for full size
Click for full size
I've attached two images of my wireless situation, note the excessive amount of wireless networks and all of the overlap that is seen. Maybe wireless just isn't a solution where I live? My network is 'ftknox.'

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

Move ftknox to Ch. 3...

faze

Reisterstown, MD

There's a buttload of other AP's on that channel. No risk of interference in that respect?

Sorry for the stupid questions, still learning wireless.

Changed to channel 3, still overlapping like 7 AP's.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp

Don't worry about the count, worry about the relative signal levels.

faze

Reisterstown, MD

1 edit

Still not helping my transfer rates. Still getting like 300kb/s copying files between floors. Argh!

Either way I have CAT5e coming from Monoprice in a couple days. So that will get a switch in the living room wired to my office which connects to another GigE switch and a wireless bridge, which connects to the wireless router. So transfer rates between wired machines will obviously increase but streaming media from the wired machines to laptops will still suck. Unless there's a way around it since I'm wiring the floors together?

Also, I loaded DD-WRT on my Fonera 2100 and noticed that the signal quality upstairs is in the 40% range when the AP and router can see each other! No other wireless devices up here other than cell phones. Wonder what's causing that issue? Download speeds upstairs on speedtest.net are high, 45mbit down and 55mbit up.

Oh, and switching to channel 3 made my speedtest.net results (somehow only download) get cut down by about 50%.

Edit: Wait, the router does have two antennas. That might change things...

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp
reply to faze

This might be helpful:

»www.ubnt.com/airview

»streakwave.com/Itemdesc.asp?ic=Airview2

There are many things out there that your app cannot see...like wireless cameras and such. This device will see them.
--
No amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. You can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him. Well, you can try to...

faze

Reisterstown, MD

Looks like I have to buy it unfortunately. Not really wanting to do that right now.

No wireless cameras or anything like that, and I believe there is concrete or some other partitioning between the townhomes I live in so it's gotta be something in the house, or whatever is between the floors.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp

Your neighbors might have one...a 2.4 GHz cam or such.