Ultramundane
Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
LALALALALALA

coxta to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz

Re: [Rant] Driving in Montreal

I've been to Montreal multiple times, and I agree it is a scary place to drive. I live in Los Angeles and yes we have bad drivers - lots of immigrants with no licenses, but Montreal is a terribly risky place from my perspective.

One thing of note is there is a no right turn on red law and although I miss being able to perform that maneuver when I visit Montreal, I agree that no turn on red is a good thing. I can't imagine what would happen if that was allowed.

One thing that may have influenced the bad driving is the terrible and ridiculous street planning. How can you develop any driving skill with such a grand scale moronic design?

OverrRyde
join:2007-04-10
Waterdown, ON

OverrRyde

said by coxta:

I've been to Montreal multiple times, and I agree it is a scary place to drive. I live in Los Angeles and yes we have bad drivers - lots of immigrants with no licenses, but Montreal is a terribly risky place from my perspective.

One thing of note is there is a no right turn on red law and although I miss being able to perform that maneuver when I visit Montreal, I agree that no turn on red is a good thing. I can't imagine what would happen if that was allowed.

One thing that may have influenced the bad driving is the terrible and ridiculous street planning. How can you develop any driving skill with such a grand scale moronic design?

This is interesting, is it a matter of perspective?

I learned to drive in Montreal and now i live in GTA but moved to Toronto first and my frist impression was how horrible the drivers were here compared to "back home".

Now regarding the street planning, again, perspective? I remember when i moved to Toronto, going East didnt mean you would end up going East. You probably end up facing North/West for whatever reason. Montreal on the other hand, taking any of the major roads (small too, aamof) such as St. Laurent, St. Denis, Sherbrooke, etc - if you're going East, you're going East. I clearly remember driving on some of the street in Toronto and it was like a rollercoaster ride, having no idea i ended up where i did!