share rss forum feed

chachazz
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:9
Reviews:
·TELUS

[WIN7] Windows 7 RTM(no SP 1)End Support April 9, 2013

Windows 7 SP1 was released almost two years ago.

As a result of that release, Windows 7 RTM (with no service pack) will no longer be supported as of April 9th, 2013, following the standard Windows support lifecycle specifying that support ends 24 months after the release of a new service pack.

Rest assured that Windows 7 will continue to be fully supported for a long time, with mainstream support continuing until January 13, 2015, and extended support continuing until January 14, 2020. With that said, let’s answer some questions.

More details: »blogs.windows.com/windows/b/spri···ner.aspx

Windows lifecycle fact sheet(End of sales/End of support): »windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind···ifecycle

chachazz
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:9

Reminder!

msmisfit

join:2004-09-13
Lawrenceville, GA
kudos:2

What does this mean? How do I know what is on this laptop?

I ask these stupid questions, because having moved from XP to Win7 last year and still can't easily find anything I need, I hoped someone here could tell me exactly where/how to find this info on my laptop. TIA... for any help.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11

1 recommendation

Start -> Right click on "Computer" -> left click "Properties". If you have SP1 installed you will see it listed in the above example image.

msmisfit

Lawrenceville, GA

Thank you! I had never found "Properties" so hard to find before.

So, I have Service Pack 1 installed... is that what I need? What does RTM stand for? TIA... again.

CCat
We're all quite mad here
Premium,MVM
join:2005-12-06
Wonderland
kudos:18

1 recommendation

Release To Manufacturing

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN

1 recommendation

reply to msmisfit

said by msmisfit:

Thank you! I had never found "Properties" so hard to find before.

So, I have Service Pack 1 installed... is that what I need? What does RTM stand for? TIA... again.

You're welcome. That's what you need. So you are supported until 2015, after that you have extended support until 2020.
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

msmisfit

Lawrenceville, GA

Thanks CCat and Dustyn!

I know I shouldn't ask this here, but having found Properties I saw that my laptop has been assigned the description WORKGROUP and it's for home use only. I don't know how that got assigned and wonder if it can be changed? I looked at the change options and didn't see it mentioned. :/

If you don't answer I understand, because it's really not important. Thanks again for saving me having to spend so much time looking for System properties. [Being combined with Security threw me.]

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN

You can change the WORKGROUP name if you like by going to System Properties as directed before, then clicking "Change settings", then "Change".

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN
reply to msmisfit

You are quite welcome.

msmisfit

Lawrenceville, GA
reply to Dustyn

I need my glasses changed I guess! I READ THAT... and did not see workgroup on the second line! I feel so stupid!

Thanks again... I really appreciate all the help! I'm not sure I'm ever going to learn where everything is... in this O/S.