Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

F2P mech game Hawken in public beta

»www.playhawken.com/#home

I love this game. Everything that turned me off from Mech Warrior is better here--your mech doesn't overheat and shut down after 2 salvos, controls are responsive, and there is a neat jump jet assisted "dodge" mechanic.

Matches are quicker and allow respawning, so you get more of an arcade, COD-style pace to the action.

It is F2P, but the only thing paying does is speed up the pace at which you can buy extra platforms or buy cosmetic stuff--you still have to level each mech up through XP you can only get in game.

I have played maybe half a dozen matches, and am getting ready to unlock my first mech.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

shinjuru
Premium,Mod
join:2000-10-29
West Coast
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet

1 recommendation

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size

shinjuru
Premium,Mod
join:2000-10-29
West Coast
reply to Krisnatharok

I've always liked the look of a tighter cityscape for Mech Warrior type games. Looks good.

kcrupp

join:2002-02-11
Allen Park, MI

2 edits
reply to Krisnatharok

After reading your write up I went ahead and downloaded the game. I didn't spend much time playing yet but the game looks frigging AWESOME. Way better controls than the old MechWarrior series. I look forward to putting some time into this game.

metrodust
Hey Thats Mine

join:1999-12-10
Seattle, WA
reply to Krisnatharok

This game is a blast! I'm playing it right now

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
reply to Krisnatharok

Played this. This game felt like a first person shooter with a player that had armor on. It didn't feel like an actual mech game.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

fnord76
Elder God
Premium
join:2002-05-14
Troy, IL
kudos:2

I concur with Arch. It was OK but didn't have the Mech feel.

Phantasee

join:2009-08-27
Hammond, LA

Maybe the mechs are so advanced they feel like humans. I bet they even have girl mechs.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to Archivis

said by Archivis:

Played this. This game felt like a first person shooter with a player that had armor on. It didn't feel like an actual mech game.

I like both Hawken and MWO for different reasons. It's like saying COD isn't realistic. That's the point.

Hawken is the COD of mech games, MWO is BF3, or even a Clancy Rainbow 6 of mech games.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

TheThing

join:2012-08-10
kudos:1
reply to Krisnatharok

I've heard nothing but great things about this game, including from mmohut.com and mmobomb.com... the free to play sites

going to have clone myself, so i can play it

i'll make time this weekend to try it out

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5

Both Hawken and MWO are great games.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
reply to TheThing

I don't think Hawken is a bad game. Don't get me wrong. I just think that it's not a competitor to MWO. I guess they both use mechs, but Hawken is more like moving, where MWO is more like piloting.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

Gundy
Premium
join:2002-10-29
reply to Krisnatharok

This game deserves some more attention. I downloaded both MWO and Hawken the other night just to try some F2P mech games with my roommates. We couldn't get into MWO at all, to slow and the over heating / premade mechanic made it a pain in the ass to play. 5 minute matches followed by 3 minute lobby times were just ridiculous.

Then comes Hawken, this game is CRAZY intense. Its got a different feel for sure, almost like Quake but with mechs - and a much more steam punk / gritty art style. The ability to upgrade your mech's and buy new ones is pretty legit and its holding our attention WAY better than MWO. That said, they are both different games so I'm not going to do to much bashing. But if anyone is looking for some people to team up with on Hawken, drop me a line. My buddies and I are hooked pretty hardcore. The argument of it doesn't have a mech feeling boggles my mind when the ambient sounds are literally giant metal feet stomping the ground. Accompanied by a cockpit its just a faster paced no-BS version of MWO.

Can't wait for the new map and mech they have scheduled for the beginning of March.
--
| Im not really a ego maniac im just really good at what I do... |

Energystream
Premium
join:2010-04-16
Ridgewood, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Krisnatharok

Hawken is mechanized body armor
MWO is Mechs

Hawken is a more close quarter comabt, more fast paced action. The range in mech types is tighter since most combat occurs like a real fps, with line of sight firing/covering.

MWO battles occur over almost the whole battlefield with long range support, scouts, and brawlers. There is a much wider range mechs to fill these rolls.

Each has its own style, are very different games, and they really can't be compared.

If there were a BF3 style game for a mechwarrior universe it would include infantry, mech infantry, tanks, support vehicles, aircraft and the variety of mechs in MWO. Where "respawn" would be dropships. That would be a sick game, but balancing that would be difficult, and it would have to have teams on each side that would be greater than 64.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth

They're already working on that, Energy. There are supposed to be maps three times as large as the newest map that came out. There's supposed to be other military that will come in like tanks, etc, but they said that players will not be able to pilot them.

I think you're going to see larger than 8v8 on the horizon with 12v12 up next.
--