All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Hagar
join:2004-10-31
Sunnyvale, CA

Hagar

Thinking of dumping AT&T for Comcast (broadband only)

I did a search but did not find what I was looking for. Comcast web pages are worse then I remember.
I used to have Comcast TV but I canceled many years ago.
I want to try Comcast internet. My area has a Blast plus 6 month deal with TV.

1) If I take the Blast plus (6 month promo price) am I locked in a contract or can I cancel at any time without ETF?
2) Can I downgrade after 6 month to lower speed? If yes will down grade get me in a contract?
3) The Blast plus has a TV part and they will give me a DVR box, can I return it immediately since I have no interest in TV?
4) I want to get my own modem is Comcast internet a self install (I do have outlet in my house) or will I have a house call?
ExoticFish
join:2008-08-31
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish

Residential customers do not have to sign contracts.

You can upgrade or downgrade your speed package at any time.
Blast Plus is cable and TV. If you do not want TV then you do not want that package.

Do you have an drop from Comcast's tap to your home ? If not then a tech must come out to hook up your line.

Hagar
Sunnyvale, CA

Hagar

No contract no ETF that is good.

I get Blast Plus for $45 for 6 month. It is attractive even if I ignore the TV part.
SauceMaster
join:2004-08-01
Kokomo, IN

2 edits

SauceMaster

said by Hagar:

No contract no ETF that is good.

I get Blast Plus for $45 for 6 month. It is attractive even if I ignore the TV part.

It is a decent deal. Blast Speed Package is more than 45 a month alone. I did get mine for 1 year though for 39.99 , final bill with taxes was 41.99 I believe and I own my modem. If It was 6 months I would have to think real hard. Honestly I don't watch enough tv to merit having cable. If it is essentially free cable then why not I figured.

I guess there is pro's and con's cause you can add about 15-20 a month on just for internet only once the promo pricing expires.

I think performance speeds which are 15/2 here are around 52.99 dollars a month , Blast is another 10ish dollars for internet only I think it is 62.95 here with no tv. Also if you rent the modem from Comcast it is another 7.00 per month.
ExoticFish
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish to Hagar

to Hagar
You should be able to get a Blast promo for $29.99 a month, without TV.

Hagar
Sunnyvale, CA

Hagar

I would be very happy if I could get that.

I think that Comcast has too high market share in my area for them to give that good deal.
ExoticFish
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish

Won't know until you call sales for service.
St0ry
join:2004-02-16
USA

St0ry to Hagar

to Hagar
I'm also thinking of switching from Uverse to Comcast, hope you don't mind me jumping in with a few questions of my own.

-Has Comcast been enforcing caps? The main reason I stuck it out with Uverse all this time is they don't enforce caps. I'd probably go through about 1TB a month.

-Once the promo pricing ends, how easy is it to call them up and convince them to get you on another promo?
ExoticFish
Zebulon, NC

1 edit

ExoticFish

Caps are currently suspended for most areas but they will be implemented again. If you're using 1TB a month you will have to get a business account, which costs more and requires a contract.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

1 edit

NormanS to Hagar

MVM

to Hagar
I hate the AT&T and Comcast web sites when trying to scout prices; way too confusing. Nevertheless, this appears to be what I can get in San Jose, California:

Comcast Xfinity Internet only.

Comcast Xfinity Double Play.

FWIW, my bill for DSL is $19.97 for 17669/892 (modem sync), or:
[att=1]
Sonic.net "Fusion" service; nominally $39.95 for both telephone and Internet. But they also collect $10.98 in BS phone fees and $6.50 for modem rent.

I believe the Comcast price for Internet and voice would be similar.

Oh, yeah! I forgot two features neither AT&T, nor Comcast offers; at least not on residential accounts:
DNS [%My_Domain%].net                      1.95 1.95 
Fusion IP address space 173.228.nn.nn/32 - 0.00 0.00

The static IP address comes with the ability to set rDNS.

PeeWee
Premium Member
join:2001-10-21
Madera, CA

PeeWee to Hagar

Premium Member

to Hagar
Thinking of dumping AT&T for Comcast (broadband only)

That's a no brainer!