share rss forum feed

mimirswell

join:2013-02-15

3 edits

[DSL] Persistent Latency issues

Click for full size
Click for full size
NID
Problem: I have intermittent latency issues on a daily basis (multiple times). This occurs most often during 6-11pm EST but that may be correlated to it being the highest usage time for my household rather than a relation to the actual time as the problem has exhibited itself at other times.

The intermittent latency issue manifests as continuous, often for 10+ minutes, high latency (300ms-2000+ms). Previously, this also resulted in persistent disconnects during the high latency; however, recent visits by AT&T DSL techs resolved the disconnect issue when they installed a filter at the NID and separated the RJ-11 jack my modem connected with so it is the only jack receiving the green/white cat5 data wires. Since then, the disconnects are gone but the latency is still an issue. This latency has existed for well over a year.

I have purchased shielded cat-6a cabling and shielded phone cabling to eliminate possible interference from my house as well as separated the modem from other devices and while that lowered the attenuation dB by ~1.5, it has not affected the latency issue.

The AT&T DSL tech believes that the issue emanates from AT&T as this is a frequently cited issue in the area. I have attached a history of my modem stats from this month showing stats before and after various ATT technicians attempts to resolve the problem.

I should also note I am on my 4th modem. Two of the previous modems were 2wire modems that eventually died and I'm currently using my own D-Link modem as the ATT DSL Tier 1 technician could not confirm my warranty information and send me a new modem. Though I do use a router (three different ones over the period of this problem), the issue occurs even when no router is present. I'm using the latest firmware on the modem and router.

lostinms
Moo

join:2001-11-29
Grenada, MS

I have the same issue and it is one of att routers. Just not sure which one. I just about make gaming unbearable.

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
reply to mimirswell

you need to install a dsl splitter inside your NID to separate voice from data and branch off from there...

data line going directly to your modem....

voice line going to your telephone jacks...

start from there...

mimirswell

There is a splitter/filter at the NID (its the grey box at the bottom). Also, the only place the green/white wires of the cat5 cable go is the jack that the modem is connected to, they are not linked to any other jack. Is this not sufficient?

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4

said by mimirswell:

There is a splitter/filter at the NID (its the grey box at the bottom). Also, the only place the green/white wires of the cat5 cable go is the jack that the modem is connected to, they are not linked to any other jack. Is this not sufficient?

you really need to mount that dsl splitter and clean up the wiring...

I couldn't tell which wires went to and from the splitter...

Have you tried using a Motorola 3347 modem? 2Wires and or any other modems ATT sell are crap....only ones worth keeping or using is the 3347.

Can you post a pic of the jack where your modem connects to?

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
reply to mimirswell

said by mimirswell:

I should also note I am on my 4th modem. Two of the previous modems were 2wire modems that eventually died and I'm currently using my own D-Link modem as the ATT DSL Tier 1 technician could not confirm my warranty information and send me a new modem.

The date of manufacture is contained in the serial number of most 2 wire modems.
The first and second digits are the week of manufacture.
The third and fourth digits are the year of manufacture.

mimirswell

Thanks for you for the information. In this case, the current modem is working better than the 2-wire modem did so unless there is a good reason to use the 2-wire I'm not aware of, I'll probably just forego replacing it.