Premium Member

Stop shortcut from being created McAfee Enterprise 8.8

Click for full size
Version of McAfee that I'm running

Shortcut in Question

Click for full size
What the shortcut opens
Click for full size
Why give me a 2nd when it is already here?
Hopefully what I have is a simple question, with a simple answer.

I've just moved to Windows 8 Pro x64, and I'm running McAfee Virus Scan Enterprise 8.8 with Patch 3.

On every reboot, the shortcut that I'm showing above will be placed into the following directory: C:\Users\Brian A. Plencner\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

I don't need that extra shortcut, as one already exists (see above pictures).

Is there a way to get McAfee to stop replacing that shortcut on every boot? I don't want it in my local start menu, as one is already in place on the "global" one in the ProgramData folder.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered.

--Brian

therube
join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

therube

See if it isn't coming from C:/Documents and Settings/All Users/.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

Good suggestion, but this is Windows 8. There is no "Documents and settings" folder.

However, I did go looking at C:\Users\Public, and there are no shortcuts there.

--Brian
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459 to plencnerb

Premium Member

to plencnerb
Geeze I hate VirusScan Enterprise so much, I'm glad my current employer dropped it in 2010.

Have you tried disabling the real-time access protection first and then deleting it? I wonder if it sees that as some kind of a threat to the program files and restores it.

plencnerb
Premium Member
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

said by SpHeRe31459:

Geeze I hate VirusScan Enterprise so much, I'm glad my current employer dropped it in 2010.

Have you tried disabling the real-time access protection first and then deleting it? I wonder if it sees that as some kind of a threat to the program files and restores it.

I would think if that was the case, it would keep coming back with every delete. But, I can remove it, and leave the system up for hours, and it does not come back. It only returns on boot if its not there.

However, I'll give anything a try. I'll reboot, let it put the shortcut back, and then stop the real-time access scanner, and then delete it. Then, do another reboot and see what happens.

--Brian
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

said by plencnerb:

I would think if that was the case, it would keep coming back with every delete.

Agreed. It's just the only thing I can think of that would keep enforcing it. I suppose it could also be some annoying VSE policy that your company made that is set to recreate any missing program shortcuts.
Of course I also wouldn't put it past the obnoxious VSE agent service to keep re-creating it just because McAfee thinks its a good idea.

plencnerb
Premium Member
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

Well, I went ahead and did a reboot, and let it create the shortcut.

I then stopped both "Access Protection" and "On-Access Scanner", and deleted the shortcut.

Started both back up, and did another reboot.

This appears to have fixed it. McAfee still wants to create it, but then 5 to 15 seconds later, it is removed.

I've rebooted a few more times, and it is the same behavior.

So, it looks for now to be resolved.

--Brian