uniqs

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to Octavean

to Octavean

Re: Tablet Discussions

said by Octavean:

.The point I am trying to make here is that just because something doesn't look like a traditional computer doesn't mean that it isn't. PC tablets (x86 / x64) are IMO traditional computers,....

I agree with computers, but disagree with "traditional". To me, that's a desktop, tower or SFF with a separate monitor, keyboard, and mouse. One can definitely make the Surface look more or less as a traditional PC by plugging in an external monitor and attaching a kb/mouse via a USB hub, but even then, traditional is a bit of a stretch.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

I think I understand what you are getting at but the deciding factor there seems more based on the form factor.

For example, if you have two Chromebooks side by side with one using a Exynos 5 Dual Core Cortex-A15 SoC and the other using a Intel Celeron 847 1.1GHz,.....you might not be able to tell the difference by just looking but if you look closely enough you may see that the platforms are different. I just think its a mistake to only consider the form.

If you can shrink an old 486 DX processor based system down to the size of a watch that you can put on your wrist nothing has changed save for its size so why regard it differently,.....?

ARM is a completely different architecture,....and that is the meat of it IMO.