marky
@teksavvy.com

marky to Anon

Anon

to Anon

Re: Rogers UNLIMITED Internet for $10 or $30

52 + 30 = $82 for 25/2 which is better than 28/1
or $62 with a bundle

rogers routinely give 50% for a year to existing customers that are considering switching
JMJimmy
join:2008-07-23

JMJimmy

said by marky :

or $62 with a bundle

rogers routinely give 50% for a year to existing customers that are considering switching

You missed the fine print: Modem Rental or Purchase required on top of that. Also, 50% savings only applies for a bundle and it's only for 6 months not a year (where the $82 comes from, $124 after that).

Also, you're stuck with Roger's draconian acceptable use policy »www.rogers.com/cms/pdf/e ··· _Eng.pdf which gives a nice vague excuse for Rogers to terminate your "unlimited" plan if they think you're using too much.

Montreal DSL
join:2011-02-02
Montreal-DSL

Montreal DSL

Videotron jumped in also:
»www.videotron.com/secur/ ··· nternet#

neuromancer1
join:2007-01-22
York, ON

neuromancer1 to marky

to marky
said by marky :

or $62 with a bundle

said by JMJimmy:

said by marky :

or $62 with a bundle

You missed the fine print: Modem Rental or Purchase required on top of that. Also, 50% savings only applies for a bundle and it's only for 6 months not a year (where the $82 comes from, $124 after that).

Also, you're stuck with Roger's draconian acceptable use policy »www.rogers.com/cms/pdf/e ··· _Eng.pdf which gives a nice vague excuse for Rogers to terminate your "unlimited" plan if they think you're using too much.

Wow, who is stupid enough pay these prices extra 1.5 MB of upload for double the cost of TSI. This all really funny actually I thought Bhell/Robbers both told the CTRC that unlimited useage was killing the internet and is evil.

King Sull
Premium Member
join:2012-03-26
Etobicoke, ON

King Sull to marky

Premium Member

to marky
Remember why we all left in the first place? Wasn't price, it was throttling, bandwidth, and shitty business practices.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium Member
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON

Tx

Premium Member

said by King Sull:

Remember why we all left in the first place? Wasn't price, it was throttling, bandwidth, and shitty business practices.

Unfortunately for most people direct connection to technical support with immediate action no 48 hour tickets is worth the premium. My wife has it setup in her office upstairs (curtesy of her work for work) and throttling hasn't been an issue for the last year, bandwidth of 260 gigs works for this household too.

My day to day usage is on our DSL line here, but netflix, her work crap and heavy downloads are done off of the Rogers line. No outage, no congestion nothing in 3 years. West mississauga.

Now shitty business practices i absolutely agree and that alone is worthy of their demise, but fortunately for them, Rogers is a solid service, just expensive. I keep the TSI DSL to support them and added bandwidth for my own day to day needs, so having both adds redundancy in the house and more bandwidth in a way.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

1 edit

TypeS to neuromancer1

to neuromancer1
said by neuromancer1:

Wow, who is stupid enough pay these prices extra 1.5 MB of upload for double the cost of TSI. This all really funny actually I thought Bhell/Robbers both told the CTRC that unlimited useage was killing the internet and is evil

I don't believe it is stupid to stick with Rogers. For some, it's simply just because they can afford it comfortably.

For others it's more about the marginally better reliability and stability of the internet connection. A family friend moved and inquired about why my bill for cable internet is so much cheaper than theirs. After a discussion of weighing the pros and cons, I told her to stay with Rogers. As much as I love the service I've gotten from TekSavvy, I avoid recomending it to people who I know will pester me every time it's done and eventually blame me for the recommendation.

My original reason for moving to TekSavvy from Rogers was the $25 to $50 increase in over usage caps. I was OK with pay $99 for 12/1 with defacto unlimited usage. I was not going to be OK paying $125. Otherwise I would've stayed with Rogers knowing I was paying for a service I could get cheaper. The Achilles heel of every TPIA is having to forward tickets to the incumbents for any physical work. This increases the time to resolution. Some can live with it, some cannot. I myself took a look at the Rogers bundles now with the news of unlimited to see if it's more reasonable now (I'm in a family of 4, my mother loves to spend time the phone when VOIP goes down, she's not happy), but alas, the prices look good until you see after 6months the go up by 50+%.

Btw, regarding modems (another poster), you have buy you're own modems with Cable or DSL services from TekSavvy, the point is moot. Rending the modem can be a better option for some. If you purchase you're own retail modem, if it goes defective (seems to be a very low rate on that), you have to contact the manufacturer and pay for shipping to RMA it back be out 1-2 weeks without internet (unless you buy another modem). If you buy from the ISP, the time to get a replacement for a defective modem can be much shorter. If you rent, you can most likely walk into a Rogers Plus store and get a replacement the same day.

There's pros and cons to choosing any ISP, you pick the one that best suits your needs.
abcjak
join:2012-12-18

abcjak

said by TypeS:

I don't believe it is stupid to stick with Rogers. For some, it's simply just because they can afford it comfortably.

My original reason for moving to TekSavvy from Rogers was the $25 to $50 increase in over usage caps. I was OK with pay $99 for 12/1 with defacto unlimited usage. I was going to be OK paying $125.

The Achilles heel of every TPIA is having to forward tickets to the incumbents for any physical work. This increases the time to resolution.

If you purchase you're own retail modem, if it goes defective (seems to be a very low rate on that), you have to contact the manufacturer and pay for shipping to RMA it back be out 1-2 weeks without internet (unless you buy another modem). If you buy from the ISP, the time to get a replacement for a defective modem can be much shorter. If you rent, you can most likely walk into a Rogers Plus store and get a replacement the same day.

Your point were exactly my reasoning for changing too. I was okay with paying the overages until it went to $75. At that point, i knew my cable connection was absolutely stable, being in the same location for the lastfew years has proven that to me. This wasn't alwasy the case though, my connection was very very bad when i first got here and rogers came out quite a few times until i finally got my own new line running out to the pole. Also, in the time i've been with rogers at 2 locations, i've burned/lost 3 modems. I had no problem paying the small rental and got same-day replacements. I dread the day I have problems and wonder if it's the modem because i will likely need to buy another one just to find out. Now that' i've dealt with tsi "customer support" (quotes of sarcasm), and knowing i will NOT get immediate support or service calls, i know the difference after the switch but i also went into this with that understanding. I only recommend a reseller to people who have had absolutely no issues for some time, and i tell them to go with the same type of service (cable/dsl) or they could be in for some crying.
sourtimes
join:2012-12-16
York, ON

1 recommendation

sourtimes

Are you drunk ?

Did you not notice this comes with the same caveat that all too good to be Rogers true offers do ? First 6 months...and then they give it to you dry with no reach around.

lol.. this is just their counter to Bell offering something similar.

Do. not. want.

Wake me up when they are offering full blown unlimited with good speeds for $60 and I'll pay attention.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by sourtimes:

Are you drunk ?

Did you not notice this comes with the same caveat that all too good to be Rogers true offers do ? First 6 months...and then they give it to you dry with no reach around.

lol.. this is just their counter to Bell offering something similar.

Do. not. want.

Wake me up when they are offering full blown unlimited with good speeds for $60 and I'll pay attention.

They will reel in the fools.