Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DanteX

join:2010-09-09
kudos:1
reply to er um

Re: All This UBB , Usage based BS was such a waste

Bell, Rogers, Videotron, shaw and telus should have Second tier access as they have proven they can not play nice. Priority should be given to those ISPS who will not abuse the privilege.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to DanteX

Re: All This UBB , Usage based BS was such a wa coulste

said by DanteX:

See thats where I disagree if a company is offering services to its customers they should be just as important as shareholders and not disposable. I mean after all its in a companies best interest to keep its customers please even the so called 10 percenters who use near or above Bandwidth caps.

You have to give them a reason to act for you though. It's not nice I know, but its how it works If the company's revenue and profits drop, shareholders start selling to send the message they have lost confidence. Disgruntled customers complained on forums yet remaining customers paying them month after month sends the message that you're still willing to pay. When they know for sure you're not willing to pay, thats when they will accommodate. Hence a whole department dedicated to retentions. Of Course a threat of cancellation here or there won't force a business like Rogers to change, thousands switching to other providers (voting with their wallets) would send a clear message to them.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to LastDon

Re: All This UBB , Usage based BS was such a waste

When you have 2 million customers, disgruntled customers are less than churn (those who leave because of moving etc). That means that a few customers leaving is not something they worry about, but they want to stop a mass exodus hence retentions. After all, when retentions gives somebody a deal and they report it here, a disgruntled customer here says "I wonder if I can get that instead of going to " So, they've kept a few customers.

DanteX

reply to LastDon

I have just been looking at ISP services in the UK and found you can get 76Mbps down and unlimited usage for 26GBP try to get that here and your looking at close to 100 dollars or more and a limited cap.

How is it Canada is like one of the only developed countries with such lackluster services with sky high prices.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to alienzzz

said by alienzzz:

This doesn't change the fact that even before the buyouts there were no overlapping territories between providers.

Rogers does have a license to operate in Halton Region simultaneously with Cogeco. They've just never acted on the license by building their own duplicate network.

They also had one for Aurora back when Aurora cable was around, but Rogers just ended up buying the entire company instead.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa

1 recommendation

reply to DanteX

Actually, try getting that in the UK ... it may be offered, but few can actually get it.

And the US isn't a lot better than Canada any more

DanteX

reply to LastDon

Canada Per capita has the highest internet usage among Developed countries yet it lacks speed usage and affordability . We really need Google fiber to set up shop in Canada 70 dollars a month for upto 1Gbit up and down with no cap.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to sbrook

said by sbrook:

And the US isn't a lot better than Canada any more

Other than a few significant exceptions, they never really were better as a whole than Canada at all.

last_mile

@cogeco.net
reply to LastDon

So if all incumbents have access to every last mile of copper/fiber, who is going to pay to maintain them?

Who is going to pay some guy in a van for 20 hours while he splices fiber back together that a tractor trailer tore down?

Every ISP will look and say "sorry that's not ours" and back away from it, guaranteed.

Who will pay to maintain all the taps/splitters/battery backup systems, node splits, infrastructure upgrades?

If I have 0(zero) customers on that node for my ISP , why should I have to pay for something to be upgraded or fixed that I am not utlizing?

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10

The point was that the last mile would be nationalized, and all ISPs who wanted access to it, would pay in for said access, upgrades, and repairs.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

desRow

join:2011-05-23
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

Not much we can do about their retal offerings... Earlier this year bell started totally undercutting us on business DSL. Their retail was lower than our costs.

I'm totally with you. My blood just boils when I think of all the shit we've been put through.

I ordered TGV30 from tekksavvy but I had to cancel because of the CRTC announcement. I hope you guys stay the cheaper place for my situation (which was unlimited with 3mb upload) but I doubt it =/ Your customer support was awesome ;(

Jinzo

join:2011-06-14
Burlington, ON
reply to LastDon

The Last mile should be held by a city or a new company which just maintanes the last mile connection. This would allow third party TV/Internet/phone companies to hook into the nodes for the actual service. The customer would need to pay an intial hook up and monthly maintance fee for the last mile. You either create a new company, or have the city look after this infrastuture.

The incumbents hold all the cards because of the last mile. If you remove this from the table prices should drop. The only flaw here is can a company be profitable managing the last mile by itself. I would curious if this is where most of the costs are generated while providing phone, and Internet.

last_mile

@cogeco.net

Sure,

But all the MSO's are going to go around first and rip every piece of wire out that does not have an active customer on it I bet, as why would they just give it away, and if not, who is going to pay for that wire, municipalities? I'm sure that wouldn't cause a tax raise at all..

Someone would need to buyout the last mile from all the companies, and then run that on their own, so someone needs to dig deep to pay, and not use taxpayers money..why should I pay more because they decided to go that route (if it happened)..

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
reply to Gone

said by Gone:

said by alienzzz:

This doesn't change the fact that even before the buyouts there were no overlapping territories between providers.

Rogers does have a license to operate in Halton Region simultaneously with Cogeco. They've just never acted on the license by building their own duplicate network.

They also had one for Aurora back when Aurora cable was around, but Rogers just ended up buying the entire company instead.

But they know the fiscal futility of overbuilding, so they won't do it.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
reply to last_mile

said by last_mile :

Sure,

But all the MSO's are going to go around first and rip every piece of wire out that does not have an active customer on it I bet, as why would they just give it away, and if not, who is going to pay for that wire, municipalities? I'm sure that wouldn't cause a tax raise at all..

Someone would need to buyout the last mile from all the companies, and then run that on their own, so someone needs to dig deep to pay, and not use taxpayers money..why should I pay more because they decided to go that route (if it happened)..

The railways do that with abandoned lines to avoid the prospect of competition.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to MaynardKrebs

said by MaynardKrebs:

But they know the fiscal futility of overbuilding, so they won't do it.

If there was any one single location in Canada where it would make sense to overbuild, it would be for Rogers to do it in Halton.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to last_mile

said by last_mile :

Sure,

I believe the general consensus thus far has been that nationalizing current last mile infrastructure is terrible route to go. The bigger issue wouldn't be taxes but how it would be managed.

The idea of a new last mile infrastructure would be that any ISP wanting access to it from the get go would need to participate in sharing initial costs of rolling out and then share costs of maintaining it. Don't share the costs, don't get access.

MFido

join:2012-10-19
kudos:2
reply to last_mile

said by last_mile :

Sure,

This happened in UK without additional costs for consumers, see BT case when they kept the backbones and all the infrastructure and they sell all the capacity to resellers

DanteX

reply to TypeS

Think of it as insurance on infrastructure you have waiting to use when the time comes.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to MFido

said by MFido:

This happened in UK without additional costs for consumers, see BT case when they kept the backbones and all the infrastructure and they sell all the capacity to resellers

Sort of ... except that they sell a lot of that capacity to themselves under assorted names like "One Cloud"

DanteX

What kind of scheme are they trying to pull with that one? Are they trying to give the illusion of completion?

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa

Of course

Dreamwiser3

join:2009-12-18
Hamilton, ON
reply to LastDon

What competition. Who wants that but us common people. Fvcking Bastards.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa

It's time to raise another stink with the minister of industry about the continued inadequacies of the CRTC.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia

said by sbrook:

It's time to raise another stink with the minister of industry about the continued inadequacies of the CRTC.

Are you kidding me? Christian Paradis is considered the Invisible minister. Not a peep from this guy about anything.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa

Gotta start somewhere!

LastDon

join:2002-08-13
reply to LastDon

there is competition is Canada?... only competition is who sends out the KY jelly to the customers first!

reality is. they knew what was coming..(the big boys) and want to tie customers into contracts but getting multiple services and stay with them

UGH this industry!

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia

I'm about as cynical as they come and I don't think they were tipped off. This is business. 101. There is decision coming down the will affect your business. If it went your way, you've signed up a batch of customers, for more revenue at little cost to you.

If it went against you, you've still signed up those folks.

Now in the case of Robbers and VTL, do you stay pat and lose customers to your major competitors, and maybe not just Internet or do you match their deal?

Look when Bell imposed those drastic caps, Rogers held off for how long? signing up disenfranchised Bell customers.

No this is plain good business.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

SDSarnia

@start.ca

Will the CRTC get with the times and force big business to offer reasonable internet speeds and usage ? Do they not get wth is going on out there in terms of how people get movies and games ? You download legit stuff and watched streamed content (HD content) and you can hit 100 GB in a day easily.

Honestly I am so freaking tired of commerce, big business, patriotism, and so on.

There really needs to be a huge revolt in this world NWO style. People should all be allowed to have the basics plus enjoy some fun things without having to earn all this. You heard me right.

I do believe all people should serve some purpose to earn what is given them by having some sort of job in society to contribute to the greater good but it should not be done as it is where it is to just line companies and individuals pockets. The world is full of greed and evil and more. If commerce works then why does it seem people these days are more and more stressed and more and more unhappy ? Companies are also now buying our politicians and they are in turn selling us out.

DanteX

reply to LastDon

The Big guys flat out Lied when they were pushing for UBB . They claimed UBB was needed because of too much congestion and that heavy users were degrading the networks capcity. Now these very same people most notably Bell and rogers who were pro UBB are now selling Unlimited Bandwidth and apparently the need for UBB has magically disappeared .

These guys need to be chained shackled and brought before the peoples tribunal of Canada to answer for their crimes against our country.