Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:26
reply to mlord

Re: All This UBB , Usage based BS was such a waste

said by mlord:

said by TSI Marc:

Well, there's only one place it can go... Down. The question is by how much.

But since the decision was made before the recent re-introductions of "unlimited internet" from B/R, the decision itself probably doesn't take that evidence into account. Time to file another complaint/appeal/whatever, pronto!

Maybe.. It would be really difficult I'd say. I really hope the CRTC gets it right this time around. It's like 5 years in the making...
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to LastDon

said by LastDon:

CRTC became useless to believe those lies.

Actually, I think we can all learn a very valuable lesson from this.

The CRTC is - I hate to say this - important. That is, when they're doing their job. The CRTC under KvF let the incumbents literally do whatever the fuck they wanted and rubber stamped everything.

The CRTC under JPB has been a completely different animal. Bell buying Astral? No! Rogers requesting arbitrary simsubs? No! The CRTC has even taken an active role in consumer protection for cell phone subscribers. They're now requiring full costing for tariff applications. The list goes on and on and on.

So really guys, as much as we all bitched about the CRTC, they have turned into our... friends... in this whole issue (I think I threw up a bit in my mouth saying that).

If the CRTC was still the same captured regulatory body that it was under KvF, *none* of what is going on now would be going on.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

We're sure due that's for sure...

I'll reserve my judgement for next week. I really do want to believe it too though.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

1 recommendation

said by TSI Marc:

I'll reserve my judgement for next week. I really do want to believe it too though.

I have a friend who follows the CRTC closely, but on the broadcasting side of things. He said the change in their attitude since JPB has come to the chair has been stunning and such a polar shift that it's like nothing he has ever seen.

I'm not ready to start singing their praises just yet, but so far they have been moving in a direction that makes me quite optimistic about what things will be like in the future.

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to Gone

said by Gone:

So really guys, as much as we all bitched about the CRTC, they have turned into our... friends... in this whole issue (I think I threw up a bit in my mouth saying that).

I threw up a little bit in your mouth too after reading that.

But yeah, there have been changes. But after 5 years of total insanity I still don't trust them. They would have to replace every commissioner for me. Keep in mind the commissioners were out of whack with reality as well. Not just KvF.

Sorry for barfing in your mouth...

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to Gone

Nice. That's reassuring to hear.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

andyb
Premium
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario
kudos:1
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

You mean if its enough to make the higher DSL speeds attractive?

No I want cable but you dont serve here and bell only offers "upto" 15mb here.Not paying 100 install fee for upto 15mb.I'm waiting for Agg TPIA with good rates

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

said by andyb:

said by TSI Marc:

No I want cable but you dont serve here and bell only offers "upto" 15mb here.Not paying 100 install fee for upto 15mb.I'm waiting for Agg TPIA with good rates

Ah. I see what you mean. The rest of the footprint we should have very soon.. Hang in there dude.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

Not much we can do about their retal offerings... Earlier this year bell started totally undercutting us on business DSL. Their retail was lower than our costs.

I'm totally with you. My blood just boils when I think of all the shit we've been put through.

That's predatory pricing, regulatory issues aside, that's illegal Air Canada has been bitchslapped a few times because of that.

Send this to your lawyers

Section 78(1)(i) of the Competition Act prohibits companies from the selling products at unreasonably low prices which is either designed to facilitate, or has the effect of, eliminating competition or a competitor.

Now if that doesn't sound like what Bell is doing, tell me what is?
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

That does sound like a bitchslap waitin' to happen.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

mazhurg
Premium
join:2004-05-02
Portage La Prairie, MB
reply to LastDon

Unfortunately, it has to be proven. The incumbents are master at smoke and mirrors.

LastDon

join:2002-08-13
London, ON

said by mazhurg:

Unfortunately, it has to be proven. The incumbents are master at smoke and mirrors.

congestion was never proven ###### that is all that was proven.

with these things it seems nothing has to be proven, just a slight advertising or thought will be enough to get the ball rolling.

Cloneman

join:2002-08-29
Montreal
kudos:3
reply to LastDon

The new unlimited plans from Bell, Rogers and Videotron say 1 thing loud and clear:

You can have unlimited, our network can handle it, just give us "our cut" (Basic TV package is basically forced on)

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
reply to LastDon

So we know that bell got word first, got scared shitless at their plummeting numbers for gas, hense offering unlimited.

Also sounds like the people at rogers got their information late, and scrambled to match bells unlimited. Rogers told videotron, and that's why they've introduced unlimited..

All in all, it sound like the CRTC caught the deliberate padding by the incumbents. The question is, how systemic was it, and will the CRTC make these numbers retroactive to punish incumbents.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
reply to LastDon

said by LastDon:

said by mazhurg:

with these things it seems nothing has to be proven, just a slight advertising or thought will be enough to get the ball rolling.

They managed to prove congestion... Only took 1 speed increase with no network investment for a year on rogers.

Also might I add that rogers changed their format for their financial statements. You cannot tell how much of cables ' additions' are customer equipment, network upgrades, our costs for new service areas as of this latest quarter. I was bashing them hard on their 14 million upgrades in a single quarter, vs shaws 100 million+.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

mazhurg
Premium
join:2004-05-02
Portage La Prairie, MB
Reviews:
·MTS
reply to Cloneman

said by Cloneman:

The new unlimited plans from Bell, Rogers and Videotron say 1 thing loud and clear:

You can have unlimited, our network can handle it, just give us "our cut" (Basic TV package is basically forced on)

Over yonder this way, MTS always had the tv service as a requirement for more than 12/1. 80$ for the TV, and 60$ for the net.

At least it's unlimited.

Dunlop

join:2011-07-13
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to resa1983

said by resa1983:

So we know that bell got word first, got scared shitless at their plummeting numbers for gas, hense offering unlimited.

Pretty much what I said the first day they offered it. After being with Teksavvy and then ElectonicBox and then being forced to Bell internet for FibeTV I am still happy regardless.

I'll always root for the iisp, but at least I dont have to f-ing worry about caps...

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to andyb

said by andyb:

and bell only offers "upto" 15mb here.

Pfft, luxury! I wish I could get 15Mbit DSL. The best I can do here is 6 and that is the best that I see us getting for the foreseeable future.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to mazhurg

said by mazhurg:

The funny part is there is no smoke and mirrors here.
If Marc pays $x for a business DSL and Bell is selling for $x-y, which is less then Marc pays Bell under the tariff, that's predatory pricing.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

MaynardKrebs
Premium
join:2009-06-17

1 recommendation

reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

Not much we can do about their retal offerings... Earlier this year bell started totally undercutting us on business DSL. Their retail was lower than our costs.

I'm totally with you. My blood just boils when I think of all the shit we've been put through.

CNOC sues the government for $9B, buys own fleet of F-35's to deal with incumbents.

LastDon

join:2002-08-13
London, ON
reply to resa1983

said by resa1983:

said by LastDon:

said by mazhurg:

They managed to prove congestion... Only took 1 speed increase with no network investment for a year on rogers.

Also might I add that rogers changed their format for their financial statements. You cannot tell how much of cables ' additions' are customer equipment, network upgrades, our costs for new service areas as of this latest quarter. I was bashing them hard on their 14 million upgrades in a single quarter, vs shaws 100 million+.

Well, my comment was mostly directed at bell with their fake congestion.. don't you remember the frank and gordon commercials that it is never slow on dsl.. well basically those commercials have made appeared again in new formats saying why dsl is better than cable..

Rogers congestion is them over selling nodes or whatever and cramming so many people in one terminal.. Rogers self induces congestion like man made medicine! flip a switch and we have congestion, flip it off and we are perfect.

I wish I spoke better english, and had better writing skills, I would write a few letters to the CRTC myself..

Their methods of offering unlimited though are such a bitch slap to customers, that if they want to pay 10$ they are somewhat forcing them to get more services with them, if not pay 30$.

Reality is, the groups that were involved with the UBB, and CBB or whatever have to write in something as they are at a disadvantage, since bells argument was that " our competitors shouldn't offer Unlimited because Teksavvy's customers are causing congestion and they are straining our customers "

You guys remember those comments!

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:22
reply to LastDon

I'm hoping that the CBB costs enable TekSavvy to launch 50/10 DSL at a decent price... If the price is right I might upgrade to it.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:6
reply to dillyhammer

said by dillyhammer:

Here we go man.

The shit is about to hit the fan.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:6
reply to resa1983

said by resa1983:

So we know that bell got word first, got scared shitless at their plummeting numbers for GAS, hense offering unlimited.

Also sounds like the people at rogers got their information late, and scrambled to match bells unlimited. Rogers told videotron, and that's why they've introduced unlimited..

All in all, it sound like the CRTC caught the deliberate padding by the incumbents. The question is, how systemic was it, and will the CRTC make these numbers retroactive to punish incumbents ?

I can hardly wait to attend the public spanking of these 3 bad children - AND, remember the worst one of all in CBB abuse - GOUGEco.

A Retro-Spanking would even be better.

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !

cog_biz_user
i ruin threads apparently

join:2011-04-19
Hamilton, ON

said by Davesnothere:

I can hardly wait to attend the public spanking of these 3 bad children - AND, remember the worst one of all in CBB abuse - GOUGEco.

at least cogeco doesn't call you up 2 years after you closed you account to tell you that you didn't pay a bill from 3 years ago, and that the interest alone will cost you $800. *coughs* bell *coughs*
--
Myth: It's only fair to pay for quality first-run movies.
Fact: Most movies shown on cable get two stars or less
and are repeated ad nauseum.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:22
reply to Davesnothere

said by Davesnothere:

A Retro-Spanking would even be better.

That would certainly send the right message.

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

I'd rather cable be made much more attractive and Rogers stops screwing you around.

I just cancelled DSL since I was stuck with sub 5 meg speed and Bell doesn't seem to care about this area much - no available remote and no plans for one according to my sources. Even though way back in the 90's this area where I live was one of the first DSL areas.

Also Rogers just did major upgrades and I am getting full 75/2 service. So if you guys fix the pricing, offer 75/2+ tiers and work out the reliability then I will definitely switch back.

Just had to vent my frustrations here..

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium,MVM
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

1 recommendation

reply to rocca

said by rocca:

That would certainly send the right message.

We have 2 companies. They own 2 major sports teams. They own the buildings the teams play in. They own the stations broadcasting most of the games. They own the distribution of the stations to most peoples' homes. They own the majority of services transmitting the games not otherwise distributed to homes.

The CRTC has spent the last two decades fucking up this country's telecom sector. FUBAR. It's the worst case scenario for media concentration ever in the history of North America, the very epitome of what they and IC are supposed to protect us from.

There is only one message.

»www.k-y.com/

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Cogeco UBB, No Modem Required - »[Niagara] 40gb of "usage" while the modem is unplugged

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in

They have and the no government is going to touch it.
In the name of "editorial rights", they'll get crucified in the the media outlets own by these two.

One only has to read the rhetoric over the SUN in their quest for a must carry license. CRTC bad, nanny state, rights being violated.. and so forth. That's for the right to rape Canadians for a few cents/month for their BS news station. Imagine what would happen if the goverment/crtc tried to break them up?
--

En Enfer
This account has been compromised

join:2003-07-25
Montreal, QC
reply to LastDon

Since Bhell failed to drive its competitors (wholesale) out of business with UBB, you can bet they'll continue to harm them with legal stuff, increasing their expenses in experts and lawyer fees to fight their rights to stay in business by selling products at abordable and competitive prices. Since those added expenses aren't cheap, wholesale providers will have to increase the price of their products to recoup their losses.

One thing that Bhell counts on is the slowness of the CRTC and the many grey areas they can exploit.

While pricing matters are being studied, Bhell can publish promotions, like some permanent 33$ reduction on their Fibe 50/50 if you subscribe to 3 of their services, but the 83$ remains their retail price, but this profile is not yet available to wholesale, and they promote unlimited usage for 10$ extra, so they have plenty of time to steal customers from wholesale.

Gawd, I hate those lying bastards.
--
Tell your children over dinner, "Due to the economy, we are going to have to let one of you go."