spc
uniqs
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4

Re: CVT transmission

Just to follow up on this... The guy's car failed Wednesday morning. He got it towed to the dealer Wednesday afternoon.

The dealer got a replacement transmission very quickly and installed it on Thursday. They also did the work for an exhaust manifold recall, the 105k mile service, and washed the car, all by close of business on Thursday. Very good service from the Nissan dealer. The new transmission has a 12,000 mile warranty, so that will last him 6 months.

From what I see about CVT transmissions, I would never get a car with one unless I was sure I'd sell/trade the car before the transmission warranty ran out.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD

sk1939

Premium Member

I have three cars with CVTs, we shall see how they last.

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
(Software) pfSense
ARRIS SB6121

shdesigns to Bob4

Premium Member

to Bob4
said by Bob4:

From what I see about CVT transmissions, I would never get a car with one unless I was sure I'd sell/trade the car before the transmission warranty ran out.

Same here, but then all may vehicles have manual transmissions.

I think part is that it is a Nisson. I knew a few people who have had Nisson trannys go bad with less than 100k miles.

Any decent auto or manual transmission should go 200k miles or more with proper maintenance. I know owners of Toyotas with 250k miles on original transmission. Same for older GM, Ford.

I was irritated my Cherokee 5-speed manual died at only 220k miles. It was a known "metal fatigue" issue and just needed the upgraded 4-5 gear hub installed.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

said by shdesigns:

said by Bob4:

Same here, but then all may vehicles have manual transmissions.

I think part is that it is a Nisson. I knew a few people who have had Nisson trannys go bad with less than 100k miles.

Any decent auto or manual transmission should go 200k miles or more with proper maintenance. I know owners of Toyotas with 250k miles on original transmission. Same for older GM, Ford.

I was irritated my Cherokee 5-speed manual died at only 220k miles. It was a known "metal fatigue" issue and just needed the upgraded 4-5 gear hub installed.

Perhaps, but even then remember that his coworkers Nissan was a 2009 with 110,000 miles. That is at least 27,500 miles a year, if not more, and is double the average person (12-15k). That is a lot of strain and wear and tear to put on a car. Even if my car's transmission does die at 110k miles, at the current rate of 8k miles a year, it will be at least 13 years before I hit that.