uniqs
share rss forum feed

VioletVenom
Lets go Gators
Premium
join:2002-01-02
Gainesville, FL

Washing Machine advice request.

Earlier this week our old Kenmore decided to stop draining water. Some googling later suggested the lid safety switch or the controller. The safety switch was indeed broken. I bypassed the switch and ran it through a cycle again. The water drains but now it doesn't go through the spin cycle.

I'm over this washing machine. As old as it is I'm not sure I wish to invest $100+ into it and I'm thinking new washer. Does anyone have any advice what to look for in a new washer? My thoughts are definitely top loading, around the $500-600 range. Seems like the big box stores are having some sales for Presidents Day. Any advice I'd much appreciate.

Bloominite
Premium
join:2004-04-17

1 recommendation

Check you local Habitat for Humanity's ReStore. They often have brand new but discontinued appliances that have been donated by the manufacturer and sell for less than half what a comparable new piece sells for. They come with no warranty but the price makes that worthwhile. I've purchased 2 fridges and a washer/dryer combo at my local ReStore. Saved a ton of money and Haven't had a problem.
»www.habitat.org/restores

fluffybunny

@teksavvy.com
reply to VioletVenom
top loader with true hot water cycle (built in heater), non-HE, sanitize cycle.
heres some i am looking at :
»www.whirlpool.com/-[WTW8800YC]-1···W8800YC/
»www.lg.com/us/washers/lg-WT5101H···d-washer
»www.samsung.com/us/appliances/wa···AA-specs

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma
reply to VioletVenom
I almost always buy my appliances from a scratch and dent place. Check around. Your local appliance stores may have a scratch and dent section, or you might have a place that specializes in them.

You get a new appliance with a full warranty. I saved $800 on my refrigerator and the "scratch' was fixed by me for under $10.
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

VioletVenom
Lets go Gators
Premium
join:2002-01-02
Gainesville, FL
reply to VioletVenom
Great advice so far, thanks everyone for replying! Not like I'm looking forward to spending money on an unexpected expense, but this gives me some direction. Much thanks!

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to Bloominite
said by Bloominite:

Check you local Habitat for Humanity's ReStore. They often have brand new but discontinued appliances that have been donated by the manufacturer and sell for less than half what a comparable new piece sells for. They come with no warranty but the price makes that worthwhile. I've purchased 2 fridges and a washer/dryer combo at my local ReStore. Saved a ton of money and Haven't had a problem.
»www.habitat.org/restores

Amazing, I had no idea this existed, thanks! There's one not too far away from me, in Brighton. May be time to take a weekend drive...

BillRoland
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL
kudos:3
reply to VioletVenom
My folks got a Whirlpool top loader (Cabrio, I think was the model line) that is also an HE washer about a year and a half ago. My mom loves it, swears the clothes are as clean as the old one that used half of Gulf of Mexico on each wash cycle.

Fir_Na_Tine
Giggity Giggity
Premium
join:2001-01-03
Sout Joisy

1 recommendation

reply to VioletVenom
Sears has outlet stores which you can net decent deals. Also search your area for a local mom & pop appliance store, they might just be able to beat the big box stores. Theres a few around me, one fixes old stuff.

Also check the paper or craigslist for used stuff or estate sales. Usually some good cheap stuff there. FYI I had a old dryer that my brother gave me. He got it from a guy who was putting it at the curb. He said it worked great but just beat to hell and the wife hated it. It had duck tape and dents. But guess what, it worked great for me for 10+years, best dryer I had. My new on sucks ass with all the digital crap and is already giving me problems and its only a few years old. They don't make them like they used to thats for sure.

Good luck.
--
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·Hollis Hosting
·G4 Communications
reply to VioletVenom
We have purchased major appliances from big box and mom and pop appliance stores and on occasion gotten a good deal on a closeout. If possible we like to patronize local businesses.

Something else you may want to check out is local energy credits. When we purchased a Bosch front load washer and dryer several years ago the rebates from both state programs and manufacture were pretty substantial.

Our preference front load washer as they are more energy efficient and use less water. Good deal for us as we are on a well/septic system and use an electric dryer.

/tom

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to VioletVenom
We got a Kenmore HE top loader last year. Works pretty well, and our water consumption has dropped by 2,000 gallons per month. I got the extended warranty.

chamberc
Premium
join:2008-08-05
Irving, TX

1 recommendation

reply to VioletVenom
Love our Samsung.

ncbill
Premium
join:2007-01-23
Winston Salem, NC
reply to VioletVenom
top-loader to avoid the "stinky boot" issue

our HE top-loading LG is high-rated.

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
said by ncbill:

Leave the door open when done washing for the day and let it air out and no more smell. Ours was 6 years old and no smell....Until it was flooded with sewer water.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma
said by itguy05:

Leave the door open when done washing for the day and let it air out and no more smell. Ours was 6 years old and no smell....Until it was flooded with sewer water.

Exactly. My LG front-loader is 6 years old and that is what we do. No smell at all.
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

toby
Troy Mcclure

join:2001-11-13
Portland, OR
reply to VioletVenom
Top loader? When I moved to the US, I thought I'd was living in the Wonder Years.

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
reply to itguy05
said by ncbill:

Yup had an HE machine in last place I lived, left the door open to dry after use and ran the "clean cycle" every couple months.

The HE machine in my new place automatically advises you to run a "clean cycle" every now and again, but I leave the door open to dry after use anyway.

Never had a stinky machine so far... and compared to the top loader you really see the difference on the water bill.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

1 recommendation

HE top loaders are just as efficient as front loaders with regards to water usage.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
said by Bob4:

HE top loaders are just as efficient as front loaders with regards to water usage.

Not true -- front loading machines are both more energy-efficient and water-efficient than HE top loaders.

We've had front loaders both personally and in the rental properties we own for over 15 years now and have never had any odor problems with any of them.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to itguy05
said by itguy05:

Leave the door open when done washing for the day and let it air out and no more smell.

We don't even leave the door open usually. With 5 of us including 3 boys, a daily wash is the norm. Ditto for the dishwasher.

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
said by cdru:

We don't even leave the door open usually. With 5 of us including 3 boys, a daily wash is the norm. Ditto for the dishwasher.

That's probably the best thing as the constant flow will not let mold and stink grow.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to VioletVenom
I had a whirlpool calypso and loved it!
Now I have duets, nice but not as nice.
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

dcurrey
Premium
join:2004-06-29
Reviews:
·Cincinnati Bell
·ViaTalk
·Time Warner Cable
reply to VioletVenom
Love the our Samsung front loaders also. No smell but we also do a load of laundry almost every day. We do leave the door open between loads.

Once a month I use that Tide Washing machine cleaner »www.tide.com/en-US/product/tide-···ner.jspx with the sanitize cycle wipe the boot and drain and clean filter. It amazing how much crap builds up in that filter.

bkjohnson
Premium
join:2002-05-22
Birmingham, AL
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to VioletVenom
I had to replace my washer in 2010. I surprised myself by buying a Maytag HE front loader rather than a top loader, largely because of the experience of a person who had the machine I bought. I have been very happy with the machine. I do not run many loads, and leave the door open when the machine is not in use. The smell problems that I was warned might occur with a front loader simply have not happened. I pretty much have stopped using the recommended affresh cycle. Water usage is noticeably down. Dryer time is also reduced because of the more powerful spin cycle, and, I suppose, less water per load to start with. Cycle times are longer, but this machine cleans much, much better than the machine it replaced (older high end Maytag), especially on the white cycle. No more skid mark problems. There was a reasonably priced extended warranty available when I bought it, and due to the high price of repairing solid state controls if need be I added it, although I do not usually buy extended warranties I did, however refuse to buy the pedestal. So far that has not been a problem - it has the same door height as my older dryer.