uniqs
share rss forum feed

thinkpad

join:2000-07-26
Stamford, CT
Reviews:
·NETPLEX
·Optimum Online

[OOL] Why have speeds been all over the place lately?

I'm in Stamford, CT., and for the last 3 weeks to a month my speeds have been fluctuating wildly. Has anyone else in the area been seeing the same thing? Are they messing with the routing of traffic again? Or does this have to do with the Netflix CDN deal?

Any info would be welcome.

Thank you

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:1

I'm going to make some predictions:

"Are they messing with the routing of traffic again?
Or does this have to do with the Netflix CDN deal?"

Probably not & definitely not.

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net

I've had some "weird" stuff relating to speeds too (Fairfield, CT).

There were days when I was downloading a service pack from Microsoft only to see the file max out at ~700KB/s - same for ISOs from TechNet. Some days it was worse than that. Tried Apple for their 1GB DMG "Printer Drivers" too.... hehe.

I was sure it was my router and was flashing different firmware and then got to the point plugging directly to the modem and got the same (from Microsoft).

Then probably like 3-4 days ago it just went back to normal speeds everywhere, dunno..

thinkpad

Stamford, CT

1 edit
reply to thinkpad

To me it seem that they are definitely messing with the routing, I'm now not getting over 400Kb/s at 10:39pm, not on the ftp test or Youtube.

root

join:2002-12-11

said by thinkpad:

They are definitely messing with the routing, I'm now not getting over 400Kb/s at 10:39pm, not on the ftp test or Youtube.

Do you have proof of such bold statements?

thinkpad

Stamford, CT

I do not, it is just a personal observation.

Edit: ShockTech, I've edited the post you quoted to better show that I was making a personal observation and not a statement

thinkpad

Stamford, CT
reply to SHoTTa35

How long did the weird speed stuff last for you before it went back to normal? A week, a few weeks, a month, etc.?

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net

Few weeks i'd say, about 2-3 but I didn't pay attention much thinking it could have been just a minor hiccup.

thinkpad

Stamford, CT

Ok, thanks. Hope it's not as long, but it's good to have some sort-of time frame

yepyepyep

@optonline.net
reply to thinkpad

ye, that has been happening to me also.. its really random and it only happens at around 8pm est.. i live in Bkyln, NY