spc
Search similar:

uniqs
hopsalong
join:2003-02-17
Westerville, OH

hopsalong

Question about connecting printer fax to 2Wire 3801

I have a 2Wire 3801HGV-B. There is a wire plugged from the data port into my wall, (I think it's an RJ45). On the back of the 2Wire are 2 additional ports marked "Phone Lines." One is designated as "Phone lines 1&2" and the other is "Auxiliary line." I just got a new bundled printer that includes a fax. My question is, can I run the phone line from the printer to one of these 2 "phone lines"? If I can, which one do I connect it to, i.e., the auxiliary line or the phone line. Also, will doing so cause any interference with my AT&T Uverse tv and/or internet access?

wayjac
MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy

wayjac

MVM

said by hopsalong:

I have a 2Wire 3801HGV-B.
On the back of the 2Wire are 2 additional ports marked "Phone Lines." One is designated as "Phone lines 1&2" and the other is "Auxiliary line." My question is, can I run the phone line from the printer to one of these 2 "phone lines"?

The ports marked Phone Lines.
Are not traditional pots phone lines they are for uverse voip phone service.

Are you being billed for uverse voip phone service?
hopsalong
Westerville, OH

hopsalong

I do not have VOIP...only U-verse tv and internet. My landline is AT&T, but not VOIP.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

said by hopsalong:

I do not have VOIP...only U-verse tv and internet. My landline is AT&T, but not VOIP.

You cannot use the ports marked phone lines on the back of the 3801.
You will need to connect your fax machine to your filtered landline.
hopsalong
Westerville, OH

hopsalong

Thanks for the feedback. I haven't installed a new line in many years so I will have to figure out how to do that without stringing wires across my room.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

It's very likley you won't need to install a new line.
If the installer used cat 5 cable for the dsl wire pair it has multiple spare wire pairs that can be used to connect the fax machine to the landline correctly.
hopsalong
Westerville, OH

hopsalong

Thanks again for your help. It'll have to wait a few weeks before I can get to it, but this is really helpful. I really appreciate it!

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

Anytime.......