All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
phay994
join:2013-02-15

phay994

Payphone Locks

I got an old Centurion style payphone off the internet and i'd like to be able to get it as close to original as possible. I was able to find a "lower housing" lock online already which fits and works well, but I've been unable to find an "Upper housing" lock and key.

The phone did come with an upper lock, but no key.

I was hoping someone here would be knowledgeable on Bell Payphones and either know where to find a lock/key, or even a picture of the key that would normally be used and I'll try and maybe make one.

Since this style of phone doesn't appear to be in use anymore, I suspected it was OK to ask around.

Thanks,
Pat

Glen1
These Are The Good Ol' Days.
MVM
join:2002-05-24
GTA Canada

2 edits

Glen1

MVM

These phones are still in use where the new Millenium payphone cannot be installed so the locks would most likely not be available. I believe it is a "10H" lock (from 233 set days) if I am not mistaken...in this part of Ontario, I believe there was also a "10-G" lock. I also have a Centurion. I don't have the lock only the T bar to open it. They are still used where "hydro" is not available or where it doesn't pay much.
Glen1

Glen1 to phay994

MVM

to phay994
I found one on Ebay that has already been sold but it gives you an idea what to look for: »www.ebay.com/itm/Western ··· 08039425
phay994

phay994

Thanks Glan1.

Here it shows that the upper is keyed to a NE-22QD3 type lock?

»www.classicrotaryphones. ··· msg93386

I was hoping someone here would know someone that actually works or worked on these old things and had a key to take a picture of.

Thanks,
P

Glen1
MVM
GTA Canada

Glen1 to phay994

MVM

to phay994
I remember it as a 22QD-1 lock and key...I will investigate further as I still have contacts in the payphone department.
phay994

phay994

If there's anyway I could get a picture of one, or even meet up with someone in GTA to unlock this phone that would be great.

Love to keep the lock just so I can pull it apart too. (Love locks).

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

1 edit

LazMan to phay994

Premium Member

to phay994
I believe it should be a 22-QD3 for the upper...

»www.ebay.ca/itm/Northern ··· 0wt_1203

This is a visual of the lock... IIRC they were a common keying to the company/region - there may be a suffix after the qd3 (NE22-qd3-L34, for example) - that gives the specific key... May be a tough find.

EDIT:

»www.oldphoneworks.com/

Another place to try - they do a lot of older stuff - a Centurion maybe newer then they typically do, but they do carry some coin parts and locks - worth an email, at least...
phay994

phay994

Thanks Lazman,

Yes, it appears so.

Unfortunately, they don't seem to have what I'm looking for.

Glen1
MVM
GTA Canada

Glen1 to phay994

MVM

to phay994
I found a 22QD1 lock today but there isn't a key because the keys around "this neck of the woods" are all carefully accounted for...do you want a picture of the lock?
phay994

phay994

Sure.

The lock I have is in the phone. Think someone would mind popping it for me?