how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bbiab

join:2004-05-26
reply to TSI Marc

Re: Major CRTC decision next week. - CBB

Marc, is the objective to make all tiers unlimited exclusively. That is, is their an accurate costing structure that makes it possible to consider offering unlimited only? Or is that not on ever for various reasons?

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by bbiab:

Marc, is the objective to make all tiers unlimited exclusively. That is, is their an accurate costing structure that makes it possible to consider offering unlimited only? Or is that not on ever for various reasons?

I dont think that's the idea... TekSavvy was never all unlimited, in fact they always had a limit, only until transit got cheaper and they got more customers they were able to offer unlimited on the cheaper cogent bandwidth.
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28
reply to King Sull

I've got a BB Z10 on the way.. Anxious for the Q10. Had a BB bold up until about 4 months ago.. When the iPhone 5 came out. Held off as long as I could.. My bold kept going on the fritz.. I'll be happy to come back home though.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

bbiab

reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

said by bbiab:

I dont think that's the idea... TekSavvy was never all unlimited, in fact they always had a limit, only until transit got cheaper and they got more customers they were able to offer unlimited on the cheaper cogent bandwidth.

But as I understand it, being on CBB essentially creates the possibilty to do proper pricing. So I wonder if it should all be unlimited, if costed properly.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to HiVolt

Hum. No... We've always had unlimited.. But then in 2007 Bell cancelled all their unlimited packages and forced many heavy users to us.. At that time we did that whole cogent routing thing for unlimited and did peer1 routing with a 200 gig cap.

But, you know not everybody needs or wants unlimited.. So we will always have unlimited.. The same as we always have. That another reason we didn't launch Cogeco right away.. We didn't want to put something out there that wasn't unlimited.

So today the idea is to give options to people.. I kind of like the three tiers of usage for any given speed.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by TSI Marc:

Hum. No... We've always had unlimited.. But then in 2007 Bell cancelled all their unlimited packages and forced many heavy users to us.. At that time we did that whole cogent routing thing for unlimited and did peer1 routing with a 200 gig cap.

But, you know not everybody needs or wants unlimited.. So we will always have unlimited.. The same as we always have. That another reason we didn't launch Cogeco right away.. We didn't want to put something out there that wasn't unlimited.

So today the idea is to give options to people.. I kind of like the three tiers of usage for any given speed.

Really you had unlimited before that? I thought there were times when TSI had 100gb limit and no unlimited...
--

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

No, we always had unlimited. I think all we had was unlimited at first.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

bbiab

reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

Thank you for this assessment. I was just thinking it was ideal to go simpler if costing is done properly.

slidebite

join:2012-12-07
Lethbridge, AB

1 edit
reply to TSI Marc

I agree. Even though my monthly usage is almost certainly under 100GB, I will happily pay the premium for peace of mind if nothing else.

That and I loathe Telus. :d

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to bbiab

It is less simple for sure though... I suppose if it became obvious that it was just complicated for no reason... We'd adjust accordingly...
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to slidebite

At the end of the day, the idea is to offer options that you guys want and we adjust according to that. And not the other way around where we offer you what we want and try to force you into a compromise.. Of course the money of it needs to add up but that's figured out after we agree on what ppl are looking for...
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

PlatooN

join:2007-02-13
Kitchener, ON
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

Heh I remember those days. Though I think at the time it was 100GB for peer1 and unlimited for cogent. I remember r0cky endlessly answering users in here using the analogy of it's a different "onramp" to the internet.

Fun to think that my TSI cap has gone from 100 to 200 to 300 over time, without me ever having to do anything.

LOVE this company

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

Ah cool. my memory just wasnt clear... it was a while ago now hehe...

I first remember when i joined TSI, was when you guys offered the $10 unlimited logins, early in 2007. I wanted to try out the network before i switched from Bhell... Glad I did when they started their caps & throttling shenanigans... MLPPP was a real bonus for those throttled years...
--

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to PlatooN

You know, it might well have been 100 and 200 came after. Trying to remember why. Oh, I remember.. It's when we started charging a different rate for unlimited... Initially it was all unlimited.. One price... Then you had two option.. Unlimited cogent or 100gig peer1, then it became 200gig and unlimited for $10 more. Ironic that the incumbents chose $10 now that I think of it. It's like full circle!
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to PlatooN

said by PlatooN:

Fun to think that my TSI cap has gone from 100 to 200 to 300 over time, without me ever having to do anything.

LOVE this company

And Bell's caps have gone down (as higher tiers have come in to play)
--

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

ya bells caps are a joke, and should be rated in ETA at max speed until usage cap reached ie 1-hr 1hr 20 mins 55mins etc.. P:)
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

Cloneman

join:2002-08-29
Montreal
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe

said by morisato:

ya bells caps are a joke, and should be rated in ETA at max speed until usage cap reached ie 1-hr 1hr 20 mins 55mins etc.. P:)

What do you expect from regulations that allow advertising of data at 5cents per kilobyte instead of 50,000$ per gigabyte :P

levesque739

join:2008-05-13
Laval, QC
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

From 2006... i see a 100gb limit, but no unlimited.

»goo.gl/nvRiA

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

yeah I see that. fast forward to the next one and its there.

now I'm curious. will try to dig up old files to see.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Johnster

join:2011-05-24
reply to levesque739

I've read through this entire thread, and find it very interesting for one main reason; I'm about to cancel with Bell and I'm leaning towards signing up with TekSavvy, is there anything about this pending decision which would make it advisable for me to wait until it comes out to make my decision? I really dont need unlimited, and if prices drop I'm sure I can take advantage of it as TSI is month to month. The only think I can think of is if the decision is favourable to companies like TSI, then perhaps Bell will make me a sweeter offer to stay. Am I wrong?

Cheers

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by Johnster:

I've read through this entire thread, and find it very interesting for one main reason; I'm about to cancel with Bell and I'm leaning towards signing up with TekSavvy, is there anything about this pending decision which would make it advisable for me to wait until it comes out to make my decision? I really dont need unlimited, and if prices drop I'm sure I can take advantage of it as TSI is month to month. The only think I can think of is if the decision is favourable to companies like TSI, then perhaps Bell will make me a sweeter offer to stay. Am I wrong?

Cheers

The only way Bell makes it "sweeter" is by deep discounts when bundled with two other services. Otherwise they give small or no discounts at all after an introductory deal expires.
--

Johnster

said by HiVolt:

said by Johnster:

Cheers

The only way Bell makes it "sweeter" is by deep discounts when bundled with two other services. Otherwise they give small or no discounts at all after an introductory deal expires.

I've been with Bell for about 18 years, and every stinking year I have to make the same stinking phone call begging for them to cut me a deal. In the end the deal they are offering is pretty much exactly what TSI is offering (with the exception of the ridiculous rental modem which I'm not allowed to purchase) and I wouldn't have to make the annual phone call. I'm sick of making the call, my only hesitation is fear of losing my internet connectivity during the switchover period. I work from home and that would be disastrous.

It's a shame that TSI can't also offer me a phone line, then I could drop Bell altogether.

plojo

join:2008-01-21
Longueuil, QC

»teksavvy.com/en/residential/phone/home-phone ?

bparanoid5

join:2009-07-17
reply to TSI Marc

Looks like you picked a bad week to quit amphetamines.

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to AkFubar

said by AkFubar:

said by creed3020:

Thursdays are good days for CRTC decisions. It leaves us all of Friday to discuss!

and hopefully *gloat*

Oh most definitely! This thread will go from the current 7 pages to many, many more!

LOL @ Marc. Turns from alcohol to Legos. Makes me miss mine which are up in the attic ready for when the kids are of age.

Johnster

reply to bparanoid5

said by bparanoid5:

Looks like you picked a bad week to quit amphetamines.

And sniffing glue...

Johnster

reply to plojo

I called and asked about that, they told me they cannot offer me phone service right now as there is some sort of dispute with Bell.

Poser

join:2002-07-28
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Johnster

said by Johnster:

Cheers

Bell has already made their move with the $10/$30 unlimited add-ons. I doubt you will see anything else come from their camp.

Johnster

Bell has already made their move with the $10/$30 unlimited add-ons. I doubt you will see anything else come from their camp.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

slidebite

join:2012-12-07
Lethbridge, AB
reply to TSI Marc

I tried to get phone service with Teksavvy too so I can tell Telus to stuff it, but alas they don't offer it in my city out west yet.