how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Perma

join:2011-12-20
reply to TSI Marc

Re: Major CRTC decision next week. - CBB

Will this decision determine if start.ca can offer unlimited bandwidth?

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

said by Perma:

Will this decision determine if start.ca can offer unlimited bandwidth?

According to rocca's posts, yes the decision will affect the ability of Start can offer unlimited and higher data caps. I believe he has mentioned they are atm eating costs on the higher tiers.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

not only will it enable them to start offering unlimited if the new pricing is good, but he's mentioned it will allow them to likely offer the fastest speeds on Rogers network.

The Mongoose

join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON
reply to InvalidError

said by InvalidError:

said by The Mongoose:

Retroactive! HUGE CASH REBATES TO ALL CABLE CUSTOMERS

More like retroactive recovering profits ISPs have cut themselves short of from setting their retail rates with some degree of speculation about the CBB outcome to avoid massive churn rate in the meantime.

So unless the CRTC cuts surprisingly deeply into CBB rate, I do not expect much headroom for a retail refund. It is still possible that retail rates will increase if the final rates turn out to be higher than what ISPs guessed they might be when they set their interim rates.

I was making the same point. Hence the allcaps and the demand for $0.57.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
reply to geokilla

said by geokilla:

What? Who? There's Rogers and Bell...

Videotron. TSI.

Mike

mikee

join:2012-12-21
Gloucester, ON
reply to jmck

wow, 150/10 would be awesome at a decent price. hopefully it all works out

Dones

join:2008-02-14
Toronto, ON
reply to TSI Marc

So let's say the prices are in teks favour, can we see the new speeds in less than two-three months?

Perma

They still need to get on aggregated before they offer the higher upload speeds.

NBomb

join:2007-01-23
Etobicoke, ON

There are speeds they couldn't offer because it wouldn't be economical under the old (current) scheme.

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to TSI Marc

Few things;

1) Doesn't anyone else feel like the big 3 already know the outcome somehow? And they know it will not be in their favour and so as a result have ALL released "unlimited" packages within the past 2 weeks....Very interesting timing...

2) Will TSI be posting new potential plans within 30 days or so of the ruling? Hopefully they can share what they can offer and for how much BEFORE the full network wide switch to aggreg (so before they can actually offer it I guess).

3) Could this not immediately affect current plans in terms of caps at least, but keeping the current speeds? Ex: 300GB going to 500GB and unlimited being cheaper, but all at the current speeds on non-aggreg?

4) Any guesses on the day next week? My money is on next Thursday
--
www.613websites.com Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting

mikee

join:2012-12-21
Gloucester, ON

Hopefully its on monday so its not another repeat of the last descision. :'(

Dones

join:2008-02-14
Toronto, ON

said by mikee:

Hopefully its on monday so its not another repeat of the last descision. :'(

Monday is family day

chrisl83

join:2011-06-21
Almonte, ON

I'm more excited to see what happens with start then anything. Even if TSI gets better rogers rates, I'm not expecting anything special happening with them.

The Mongoose

Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

said by chrisl83:

I'm more excited to see what happens with start then anything. Even if TSI gets better rogers rates, I'm not expecting anything special happening with them.

Obviously Start gets the edge until everyone else goes aggregated...but once everyone's on equal footing I imagine we could see any of TSI, Start, Distributel, Acanac, etc offering quite interesting plans.

The Mongoose

Toronto, ON
reply to d4m1r

said by d4m1r:

Few things;

1) Doesn't anyone else feel like the big 3 already know the outcome somehow? And they know it will not be in their favour and so as a result have ALL released "unlimited" packages within the past 2 weeks....Very interesting timing...

2) Will TSI be posting new potential plans within 30 days or so of the ruling? Hopefully they can share what they can offer and for how much BEFORE the full network wide switch to aggreg (so before they can actually offer it I guess).

3) Could this not immediately affect current plans in terms of caps at least, but keeping the current speeds? Ex: 300GB going to 500GB and unlimited being cheaper, but all at the current speeds on non-aggreg?

4) Any guesses on the day next week? My money is on next Thursday

My guesses (and they are all guesses):

1) I don't think they know the exact outcome, but I think they do expect the tariffs to drop and are reacting accordingly.

2) I seriously doubt they're going to release the plans until they're ready to go to agg...though this could be relatively quick if they decide to open up for subscriptions in all the areas currently not served by a Tek POI.

3) I don't see how. The old tariffs will still apply to non-agg, won't they? Not sure why this would affect non-agg at all...the sooner we get switched, the better.

4) I'll say Friday.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to d4m1r

said by d4m1r:

1) Doesn't anyone else feel like the big 3 already know the outcome somehow?

The methods the CRTC is supposed to follow when setting rates are in the CRTC's costing rules which are available to the public and the CRTC relies on the incumbents' data to calculate rates using those rules. Incumbents can do the CRTC's costing exercise themselves with the numbers they provided the CRTC and already have a pretty accurate estimation of what the CRTC will say before decisions come out.

As for the CRTC's decision not being in the incumbent's favor, I doubt it. The CRTC's decision will still be in the incumbent's favor since they have to guarantee a fair return on investment, they will simply be less favorable - enough so to tell incumbents that they have failed to kill wholesale high-caps/unlimited service.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to The Mongoose

said by The Mongoose:

3) I don't see how. The old tariffs will still apply to non-agg, won't they? Not sure why this would affect non-agg at all...the sooner we get switched, the better.

Ya, I don't understand this either. The non-agg pricing has never changed, as far as I can tell (though I'm sure true cost per customer has gone up with faster speeds, Streaming, and etc.).
--
electronicsguru.ca

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
reply to InvalidError

said by InvalidError:

said by d4m1r:

1) Doesn't anyone else feel like the big 3 already know the outcome somehow?

The methods the CRTC is supposed to follow when setting rates are in the CRTC's costing rules which are available to the public and the CRTC relies on the incumbents' data to calculate rates using those rules. Incumbents can do the CRTC's costing exercise themselves with the numbers they provided the CRTC and already have a pretty accurate estimation of what the CRTC will say before decisions come out.

As for the CRTC's decision not being in the incumbent's favor, I doubt it. The CRTC's decision will still be in the incumbent's favor since they have to guarantee a fair return on investment, they will simply be less favorable - enough so to tell incumbents that they have failed to kill wholesale high-caps/unlimited service.

The main difference is that this time, the crtc didn't just trust incumbent costs, and rubber stamped. They're actually looking at the numbers, and questioning them.

Based on questions posed to them by the crtc, they know which numbers will drop, and possibly a rough estimate of how much.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

Perma

1 recommendation

reply to Dones

said by Dones:

Monday is family day

Family day is a provincial holiday, not federal. CRTC is a federal agency.

Perma

reply to chrisl83

said by chrisl83:

Same here, if they come out with unlimited plans after this at a decent price then I'm going to have to switch over.

andyb
Premium
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario
reply to Perma

said by Perma:

said by Dones:

Monday is family day

Family day is a provincial holiday, not federal. CRTC is a federal agency.

Yea it is.thats why I think Monday may be the day. Depends on if the CRTC thinks it will move the stock markets or not.To be honest I dont think the stock market even knows the CRTC exists lol

afterburn999

join:2010-09-12
Scarborough, ON
reply to TSI Marc

Does this mean anything for DSL users?

andyb
Premium
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario

Possibly lower rates and/or higher caps.It applies to all Wholesale ISP's dsl and cable

Nemo888

join:2005-12-25
Canada
reply to TSI Marc

With 10Mb upload I will need unlimited.

The Mongoose

Toronto, ON

said by Nemo888:

I'd expect at least a couple of the TPIA providers to have unlimited plan available on very high speeds...but given how much bandwidth-hours such accounts could use, I'd expect such plans to be pretty pricey.

vincom

join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON
Reviews:
·Anveo
·TekSavvy Cable

said by The Mongoose:

said by Nemo888:

I'd expect at least a couple of the TPIA providers to have unlimited plan available on very high speeds...but given how much bandwidth-hours such accounts could use, I'd expect such plans to be pretty pricey.

rogers users think its a good deal to pay over $100 for their internet w/the unlimited addon, i think indies would comeout alot cheaper than that

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5

said by vincom:

rogers users think its a good deal to pay over $100 for their internet w/the unlimited addon, i think indies would comeout alot cheaper than that

Considering how many people are complaining about inconsistent speeds with TPIAs but not with the incumbents themselves in large part due to inefficient traffic hand-off between TPIAs and incumbents, I think there is a legitimate case for people preferring the incumbent's premium price to avoid most back-end speed-related headaches.

While it hasn't gotten bad to the point that I would personally consider switching back to expensive incumbent internet, the inconsistency is definitely irritating.

UK_Dave

join:2011-01-27
Powassan, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

Hey there IE.

That's precisely the situation I am in.

I desperately DO NOT WANT to go back to Bell.

I will pay higher monthly charges to TSI to avoid doing so.

But I need a functional internet. Mine is still (literally), unusable for over half of my waking hours. 800ms+ average ping.

Dave

vincom

join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON
Reviews:
·Anveo
·TekSavvy Cable

said by UK_Dave:

Hey there IE.

That's precisely the situation I am in.

I desperately DO NOT WANT to go back to Bell.

I will pay higher monthly charges to TSI to avoid doing so.

But I need a functional internet. Mine is still (literally), unusable for over half of my waking hours. 800ms+ average ping.

Dave

well when i was on rogers i cannot say it was 100% dependable, im on coloseum 6dsl now and its great but i need higher speeds and bell has not upgrade to vibe yet in my area.
is the cable issues todo w/disagreagation, and will aggregation solve those issues, i will be switching to cable as soon as i the crtc rules on cbb, i couldnt live w/outages

JunjiHiroma
Live Free Or Die

join:2008-03-18
reply to andyb

I got some sad news about that tho: