Nepean, ON
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable

2 edits
reply to Eric972

Re: Major CRTC decision next week. - CBB

Capacity Based Billing (CBB) refers to the CRTC regulated pricing scheme under which third-party ISPs pay for link capacity (gigabits/second) to/from the Telco/Cableco's.

Currently the rates are artificially inflated by a factor of 10-20X over what link capacity for other purposes costs, and the CRTC is due to rule this week on a revised rate structure.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
reply to bitchtorn

said by bitchtorn:

Not sure why they need a "late" release.

Bell/Rogers/Videotron already got the memo ahead of time - and updated packages to include unlimited. (for a cost)

Its probably more like the CRTC actually dug into the costing reports, and based on the questions, they know the rates are dropping.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

stevey_frac

join:2009-12-09
Cambridge, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

said by resa1983:

said by bitchtorn:

Not sure why they need a "late" release.

Bell/Rogers/Videotron already got the memo ahead of time - and updated packages to include unlimited. (for a cost)

Its probably more like the CRTC actually dug into the costing reports, and based on the questions, they know the rates are dropping.

I tend to agree with this assesment.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to TSI Marc

Unfortunately, while CBB costs may be 10x+ what they should be, most people expect the CRTC to drop them by at most 3x.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

Dunlop

join:2011-07-13
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
·ELECTRONICBOX

said by Guspaz:

Unfortunately, while CBB costs may be 10x+ what they should be, most people expect the CRTC to drop them by at most 3x.

Baby steps... 3 weeks ago nobody thought the incumbents would offer unlimited ever.

Our situation is not ideal, but it is looking to be WAY better than it was 2 years ago

bbhog

join:2010-07-05
North York, ON
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

If they did a 3x drop what would the rate end up being in $/gbps say in Rogers land?

Satya

join:2011-09-11
Mississauga, ON
reply to TSI Marc

if the indies ever offer the 150/10 month for unlimited bw for 100 bucks a month or even with a quota of 1TB a month will jump on it in a heartbeat. I really care about the upload speed.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to bbhog

said by bbhog:

If they did a 3x drop what would the rate end up being in $/gbps say in Rogers land?

I was approximating; the expectation is that none of the rates will go below $8k/gigabit
--

Satya

Mississauga, ON

8000 is not cheap :O

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to Dunlop

said by Dunlop:

Baby steps... 3 weeks ago nobody thought the incumbents would offer unlimited ever.

Our situation is not ideal, but it is looking to be WAY better than it was 2 years ago

Baby steps my ass.

If the CRTC cuts prices to 1/3 what they are today, when in fact they should be cut by 90%, do you really think they'll entertain an R&V from CNOC for the unreduced amount before, say, 2017 by the time a decision is rendered? In the interim, the incumbents will still be laughing all the way to the bank.

Satya

Mississauga, ON

yeap that ^__^

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Satya

said by Satya:

8000 is not cheap :O

No, but it's better than the $18,000-24,000 per gigabit in the current CBB rates...

Current pricing almost makes it cheaper for indies to build their own aggregation network with leased fiber lines.
--

bbwarrior

join:2005-12-12
Saint-Laurent, QC
reply to TSI Marc

I'm in a glass case of emotion!!!!!!!!!

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17

said by bbwarrior:

I'm in a glass case of emotion!!!!!!!!!

Tap,tap, tap.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

I seriously doubt all the capacity-dependent infrastructure between individual subscribers and aggregated POIs costs 10X less than current rates when fully separated from invariant costs.

Only a few more hours to go before we see who made the most accurate guess.
Expand your moderator at work

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
reply to Satya

Re: Major CRTC decision next week. - CBB

said by Satya:

if the indies ever offer the 150/10 month for unlimited bw for 100 bucks a month or even with a quota of 1TB a month will jump on it in a heartbeat. I really care about the upload speed.

I want it under that $100 bucks, closer to 80 for limited and 88 for unlimited... seeing as rogers charges 122 for their own customers. Then factor in the HST after that and you're in the actual $100 ballpark. (this doesn't take into account the package change fee of $25 or so to move up a tier)
--
----|- From the mind located in the shadows of infinity -|----
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = Twizted Zero
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca

Dunlop

join:2011-07-13
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to MaynardKrebs

said by MaynardKrebs:

Baby steps my ass.

If the CRTC cuts prices to 1/3 what they are today, when in fact they should be cut by 90%, do you really think they'll entertain an R&V from CNOC for the unreduced amount before, say, 2017 by the time a decision is rendered? In the interim, the incumbents will still be laughing all the way to the bank.

I'm not saying I endorse it. The system has been this way for decades, short of violence in the streets it will not change too drastically overnight.

CBB was the start, hopefully this announcement proves me wrong (I'm sure it will be good news, hopefully GREAT news).

Regardless it is looking like unlimited internet will be viable for most Canadians, something that was not easily achievable only 1 years ago

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Marc

Wow there are currently 58 people reading this thread Way to go DSLR!

The anticipation is killer. Which exact page will the documents be available on?

»www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/decisions.htm

OR

»www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/8045/dt2013.htm

mikefallen

join:2010-01-27
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to TSI Marc

says 65 readers on my page....i got ants in my pants!!!!!

i didn't think Canada would have res service over 100Mbit for a long time.....now only if they offered symmetrical links like the rest of the world.....copper infrastructure woes i guesss

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
reply to creed3020

said by creed3020:

The anticipation is killer. Which exact page will the documents be available on?

»www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/decisions.htm

OR

»www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/8045/dt2013.htm

62 people now..

Links to everything will show up on the decisions page (1st link).

The press release will show up at the top, and the actual decision will be lower under telecom decisions.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

mikefallen

join:2010-01-27
Scarborough, ON
reply to TSI Marc

honestly can say i'm more excited/nervous about this decision than i am for xmas.......that says something

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to resa1983

said by resa1983:

said by creed3020:

62 people now..

It's like the telecom Superbowl/Stanley Cup...

I've been hitting the refresh button on this thread every couple of minutes since I got to work.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

mlord

join:2006-11-05
Nepean, ON

Not much point in hitting refresh too often just yet.
The CRTC page says: Please be advised that Thursday's release (February 21) will be at 2:00 p.m. [Ottawa time].

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:26

Well, looks like my daughter (uh, yeah) finished the lego cinema palace just in time - great therapy!
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

mlord

join:2006-11-05
Nepean, ON

»shop.lego.com/en-CA/Palace-Cinema-10232

mikee

join:2012-12-21
Gloucester, ON
reply to TSI Marc

mine says 80 readers lol and 49mins until its out

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:26
reply to mlord

yep, that's the one!

wanna see a pic?
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to mlord

Thanks posting this, I'm now ogling all sorts of Lego Star Wars stuff, like the Lego Death Star Peter Nowak blogged about a while back.

Never enough time...
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

MFido

join:2012-10-19

1 edit
reply to TSI Marc

Videotron will increase some of their upload speed soon (April 17):

»[TGV] Du nouveau sur les accès internet TGV réside

EDIT: and I see a new 15M plan