join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario
kudos:1
reply to Perma

Re: Major CRTC decision next week. - CBB

said by Perma:

said by Dones:

Monday is family day

Family day is a provincial holiday, not federal. CRTC is a federal agency.

Yea it is.thats why I think Monday may be the day. Depends on if the CRTC thinks it will move the stock markets or not.To be honest I dont think the stock market even knows the CRTC exists lol

afterburn999

join:2010-09-12
Scarborough, ON
reply to TSI Marc

Does this mean anything for DSL users?

andyb
Premium
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario

Possibly lower rates and/or higher caps.It applies to all Wholesale ISP's dsl and cable

Nemo888

join:2005-12-25
Canada
reply to TSI Marc

With 10Mb upload I will need unlimited.

The Mongoose

join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON

said by Nemo888:

I'd expect at least a couple of the TPIA providers to have unlimited plan available on very high speeds...but given how much bandwidth-hours such accounts could use, I'd expect such plans to be pretty pricey.

vincom

join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON
Reviews:
·Anveo
·TekSavvy Cable

said by The Mongoose:

said by Nemo888:

I'd expect at least a couple of the TPIA providers to have unlimited plan available on very high speeds...but given how much bandwidth-hours such accounts could use, I'd expect such plans to be pretty pricey.

rogers users think its a good deal to pay over $100 for their internet w/the unlimited addon, i think indies would comeout alot cheaper than that

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5

said by vincom:

rogers users think its a good deal to pay over $100 for their internet w/the unlimited addon, i think indies would comeout alot cheaper than that

Considering how many people are complaining about inconsistent speeds with TPIAs but not with the incumbents themselves in large part due to inefficient traffic hand-off between TPIAs and incumbents, I think there is a legitimate case for people preferring the incumbent's premium price to avoid most back-end speed-related headaches.

While it hasn't gotten bad to the point that I would personally consider switching back to expensive incumbent internet, the inconsistency is definitely irritating.

UK_Dave

join:2011-01-27
Powassan, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

Hey there IE.

That's precisely the situation I am in.

I desperately DO NOT WANT to go back to Bell.

I will pay higher monthly charges to TSI to avoid doing so.

But I need a functional internet. Mine is still (literally), unusable for over half of my waking hours. 800ms+ average ping.

Dave

vincom

join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON
Reviews:
·Anveo
·TekSavvy Cable

said by UK_Dave:

Hey there IE.

That's precisely the situation I am in.

I desperately DO NOT WANT to go back to Bell.

I will pay higher monthly charges to TSI to avoid doing so.

But I need a functional internet. Mine is still (literally), unusable for over half of my waking hours. 800ms+ average ping.

Dave

well when i was on rogers i cannot say it was 100% dependable, im on coloseum 6dsl now and its great but i need higher speeds and bell has not upgrade to vibe yet in my area.
is the cable issues todo w/disagreagation, and will aggregation solve those issues, i will be switching to cable as soon as i the crtc rules on cbb, i couldnt live w/outages

JunjiHiroma
Live Free Or Die

join:2008-03-18
reply to andyb

I got some sad news about that tho:

InvalidError

1 recommendation

reply to vincom

said by vincom:

is the cable issues todo w/disagreagation, and will aggregation solve those issues

Aggregated TPIA on Rogers should be much easier to manage for ISPs: only one trunk to Rogers-land to upgrade, manage and maintain rather than hundreds of per-POI endpoints/links. The main problem with aggregated is the current CBB rates that make buying sufficient capacity to avoid major peak-hours issues economically difficult if not impossible without increasing prices.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Marc

Well lets hope the rates are gonna be significantly lower... Otherwise Bell/Rogers and the rest of the cartel are gonna suck a lot of users back into their camp with those unlimited "deals".
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to dillyhammer

said by dillyhammer:

And within a week 3 major incumbents and 1 indie - all parties to those decisions - announce unlimited internet.

Incredible.

Does something bloody stink to high heaven or what?

Mike

It can't be, they said unlimited was pointless as 95% of their customers never hit their caps... how could they, why would they... NEVER!

Sanek

join:2006-08-10
Kanata, ON
reply to dillyhammer

said by dillyhammer:

And within a week 3 major incumbents and 1 indie - all parties to those decisions - announce unlimited internet.

Which indie?

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to dillyhammer

said by dillyhammer:

TSI.

They've always had unlimited on Cogeco. Teksavvy's aggregate plans are identical to what they sold in Chatham.

InvalidError

reply to Tx

said by Tx:

It can't be, they said unlimited was pointless as 95% of their customers never hit their caps.

Many people who buy into unlimited do so simply because they do not want to worry about how much they use but still wouldn't go over their caps by much (if at all) even if they did not buy into unlimited.

With the $10 unlimited (after $20 bundle discount), getting unlimited even if you do not need that much is not that hard a decision to make if the prospect of paying an extra $1.50/GB beyond your cap (or going with a 3rd-party ISP) scares you. For the incumbent, this is a guaranteed $10/month extra instead of random amount between $0 and whatever the overage cap is.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

2 edits
reply to Gone

said by Gone:

said by dillyhammer:

TSI.

They've always had unlimited on Cogeco.

Teksavvy's aggregate plans are identical to what they sold in Chatham.

Has there been a formal announcement from TSI to state that such packages and prices are to be offered to everyone else in Cogeco-Land, or are you just quoting from the TSI website's not yet updated Chatham rate pages ?

AFAIK, Marc has not nailed anything down yet for us, regarding new cable packages and prices.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

Well lets hope the rates are gonna be significantly lower... Otherwise Bell/Rogers and the rest of the cartel are gonna suck a lot of users back into their camp with those unlimited "deals".

Except the incumbent unlimited deals are for like 6 months then goes back to a full rate... its just another scheme.

Whereas, TPIA's oughta be able to continue to offer unlimited tiers indefinitely, we can hope.
--
----|- From the mind located in the shadows of infinity -|----
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = Twizted Zero
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to Davesnothere

said by Davesnothere:

Has there been a formal announcement from TSI to state that such packages and prices are to be offered to everyone else in Cogeco-Land, or are you just quoting from the TSI website's not yet updated Chatham rate pages ?

AFAIK, Marc has not nailed anything down yet for us, regarding new cable packages and prices.

I suppose nothing has been formalized but there was a semi-formal announcement stating unlimited would be offered in Cogeco's entire Ontario footprint.

Their Chatham cable offering was too small a sample to consider anything more than a beta.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Cogeco UBB, No Modem Required - »[Niagara] 40gb of "usage" while the modem is unplugged

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

My plan was to always stay with an independent ISP but now Bell says Fibe TV will be available here in the next few months. This is a dilemma for me. If I can get Fibe TV and keep my TSI internet that would be perfect. I'm a little tired of the satellite.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..

said by Mike2009:

My plan was to always stay with an independent ISP but now Bell says Fibe TV will be available here in the next few months. This is a dilemma for me. If I can get Fibe TV and keep my TSI internet that would be perfect. I'm a little tired of the satellite.

[GULP] Do business with Bell? Like, actually get a bill from them? The lyin-est cheatin'est stealin-est company on the planet?

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Cogeco UBB, No Modem Required - »[Niagara] 40gb of "usage" while the modem is unplugged

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by dillyhammer:

said by Mike2009:

[GULP] Do business with Bell? Like, actually get a bill from them? The lyin-est cheatin'est stealin-est company on the planet?

Mike

I still have home phone and satellite with them.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TwiztedZero

said by TwiztedZero:

said by HiVolt:

Except the incumbent unlimited deals are for like 6 months then goes back to a full rate... its just another scheme.

Whereas, TPIA's oughta be able to continue to offer unlimited tiers indefinitely, we can hope.

I think they'll have them for a while, then simply keep raising the price on the unlimited option, similar what they did to the max overage fees.
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

That's going to be what stings the most. My instinct is if the rates are much lower, Bell and Rogers will definitely be lowering prices even further, maybe even bundling unlimited caps but if they wholesale costs remain high you can expect Bell and Rogers to go back to higher prices when the promos expire.

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

said by TwiztedZero:

said by HiVolt:

I think they'll have them for a while, then simply keep raising the price on the unlimited option, similar what they did to the max overage fees.

Even simpler than that, the Rogers option at least has almost no terms except for "subject to change at any time" so all they have to do is put a notice on the bill 30 days in advance and go oh BTW we are discontinuing this option and then remove it from the bill entirely.

mikee

join:2012-12-21
Gloucester, ON
reply to TSI Marc

What time of day do they usually release what they'll be talking about?

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28

could be any time but 10am is usually fairly common
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON

You mean 11 am?

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28

no 10.. obviously not today though. hehe

big decisions tend to come out when they're ready.. there could even be a lockup for this one... in which case I'd be heading to Ottawa. If that were the case I'm assuming we'll be hearing from them soon.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON

The last few had been out at 11 so I don't know but Monday is an unlikely day for releases.