Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to Mike2009

Re: Major CRTC decision next week. - CBB

said by Mike2009:

My plan was to always stay with an independent ISP but now Bell says Fibe TV will be available here in the next few months. This is a dilemma for me. If I can get Fibe TV and keep my TSI internet that would be perfect. I'm a little tired of the satellite.

[GULP] Do business with Bell? Like, actually get a bill from them? The lyin-est cheatin'est stealin-est company on the planet?

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Cogeco UBB, No Modem Required - »[Niagara] 40gb of "usage" while the modem is unplugged

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by dillyhammer:

said by Mike2009:

My plan was to always stay with an independent ISP but now Bell says Fibe TV will be available here in the next few months. This is a dilemma for me. If I can get Fibe TV and keep my TSI internet that would be perfect. I'm a little tired of the satellite.

[GULP] Do business with Bell? Like, actually get a bill from them? The lyin-est cheatin'est stealin-est company on the planet?

Mike

I still have home phone and satellite with them.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TwiztedZero

said by TwiztedZero:

said by HiVolt:

Well lets hope the rates are gonna be significantly lower... Otherwise Bell/Rogers and the rest of the cartel are gonna suck a lot of users back into their camp with those unlimited "deals".

Except the incumbent unlimited deals are for like 6 months then goes back to a full rate... its just another scheme.

Whereas, TPIA's oughta be able to continue to offer unlimited tiers indefinitely, we can hope.

I think they'll have them for a while, then simply keep raising the price on the unlimited option, similar what they did to the max overage fees.
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

Well lets hope the rates are gonna be significantly lower... Otherwise Bell/Rogers and the rest of the cartel are gonna suck a lot of users back into their camp with those unlimited "deals".

That's going to be what stings the most. My instinct is if the rates are much lower, Bell and Rogers will definitely be lowering prices even further, maybe even bundling unlimited caps but if they wholesale costs remain high you can expect Bell and Rogers to go back to higher prices when the promos expire.

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

said by TwiztedZero:

said by HiVolt:

Except the incumbent unlimited deals are for like 6 months then goes back to a full rate... its just another scheme.

Whereas, TPIA's oughta be able to continue to offer unlimited tiers indefinitely, we can hope.

I think they'll have them for a while, then simply keep raising the price on the unlimited option, similar what they did to the max overage fees.

Even simpler than that, the Rogers option at least has almost no terms except for "subject to change at any time" so all they have to do is put a notice on the bill 30 days in advance and go oh BTW we are discontinuing this option and then remove it from the bill entirely.

mikee

join:2012-12-21
Gloucester, ON
kudos:1
reply to TSI Marc

What time of day do they usually release what they'll be talking about?

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28

could be any time but 10am is usually fairly common
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON

You mean 11 am?

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

no 10.. obviously not today though. hehe

big decisions tend to come out when they're ready.. there could even be a lockup for this one... in which case I'd be heading to Ottawa. If that were the case I'm assuming we'll be hearing from them soon.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON

The last few had been out at 11 so I don't know but Monday is an unlikely day for releases.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to dillyhammer

said by dillyhammer:

[GULP] Do business with Bell? Like, actually get a bill from them?

The lyin-est cheatin'est stealin-est company on the planet this side of the Pecos ? Mike

There - That's how Yosemite Sam woulda said it.

EDIT : Geez, my typing sux this morn !

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to mlerner

cool. anything is possible. a few years back, for some reason 10am stuck in my head but if its been 11 lately.. you must surely be right.

lets see what happens though. its 11 now
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to Mike2009

said by Mike2009:

I still have home phone and satellite with them [BH#$ELL].

We will pray for your soul.

Toutes ensemble, maintenant....

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to mlerner

said by mlerner:

The last few had been out at 11 so I don't know but Monday is an unlikely day for releases.

yup. 11am.. their website just changed

»www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/whatsnew.htm
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

and most importantly.. no decision today!
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

said by TSI Marc:

and most importantly.. no decision today!

I guess that even CRTC execs and their devoted minions all have families....

Perma

join:2011-12-20

No, CRTC released a decision today just not the one we were looking for. CRTC is a federal agency, family day does not apply.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

Say it's not true !

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to Davesnothere

yeah hehe. kinda figured it wouldn't come out on family day... even if its a provincial holiday.

I'm too wired up about this decision though. It'll be therapeutic for me.. assuming its a positive one. so much blood spilled on this over the last few years.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine

Considering that even Videotron, out of everyone, decided to allow unlimited last second that matches Rogers' and Bell's offer to the penny?

Either Hell is frozen or it's going to be a great improvement over what we have now.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

yeah. I'm totally expecting it to be a good decision. and that's pretty scary!
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Nagilum
Premium
join:2012-08-15
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

there could even be a lockup for this one... in which case I'd be heading to Ottawa.

What's a "lockup"? A confidential decision?
--
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore, 1993

ShetiPhian

join:2011-12-29
Belleville, ON
reply to TSI Marc

I agree with other posters, this seem very much like damage control.
The big guys are expecting the CRTC to rule in favour of third parties, so their doing this to prevent as many customers as possible from switching. The average customer wouldn't see the point in going through the hassle of switching when their current provider has a similar deal.

Bell could offer me "free" internet and I'd stay with TekSavvy. As everyone here already knows, no matter how good an incumbents offer sounds you'll always get screwed in the end.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
reply to Mike2009

said by Mike2009:

Just remember that Bell's definition of a "few months" has, on occasion, been several years.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to ShetiPhian

Sorry... but.... is this the same CRTC we're talking about here?

The same one that's fucked up virtually every goddamn decision for the last 20 years? That CRTC?

I don't mean to be the eternal pessimist here, but if history serves, the CBB rates will either remain unchanged or be raised. The incumbents began offering unlimited because they've been circling like buzzards for the last 2-3 years, now they're coming in for their pound of flesh, starting with the eyeballs.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Cogeco UBB, No Modem Required - »[Niagara] 40gb of "usage" while the modem is unplugged

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to bt

said by bt:

said by Mike2009:

Just remember that Bell's definition of a "few months" has, on occasion, been several years.

The official announcement for Fibe TV in Ottawa was made last week and it says this year. When I called they told me in the spring. Previously I got answers like 2-3 years. We'll see. No big deal either way.

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
reply to dillyhammer

said by dillyhammer:

Sorry... but.... is this the same CRTC we're talking about here?

So far, the new Chairman has got all the new decisions right. Plus the fact that the incumbents ordinarily have no reason at all to offer a $30 unlimited option over the $100+ cap.

RicHSAD

join:2003-07-16
Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC
reply to Mike2009

Offering unlimited could just be a way for them to increase their ARPU. It gives a reason to the users to go for 3+ services and I suspect a lot of low-usage people will end up paying the 10$ just for the peace of mind.

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON

Maybe but then they can offer better bundles where ARPU really matters and they can lock in customers. They don't care so much about individual services even though it does add to the ARPU.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to dillyhammer

said by dillyhammer:

I don't mean to be the eternal pessimist here, but if history serves, the CBB rates will either remain unchanged or be raised. The incumbents began offering unlimited because they've been circling like buzzards for the last 2-3 years, now they're coming in for their pound of flesh, starting with the eyeballs.

While the pessimism isn't undeserved considering the way things were under KvF, the CRTC has undergone a significant change of attitude that has been demonstrated under JPB. The rejection of the Bell-Astral merger was the biggest single demonstration of that change of attitude. There have been numerous smaller ones, too. This change, combined with the requirement of a fully open method of calculating costs, is a legitimate reason why someone should be expecting a better result from the CRTC on the CBB file, not worse.

If there is disappointment this week, it will be because the drop isn't as big as we all expected, not because it didn't happen at all.