share rss forum feed

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to mlord

Re: Major CRTC decision next week. - CBB

said by mlord:

said by Guspaz:

said by InvalidError:

If what was announced in Videotron's forum is real, all TGV tiers are getting bumped to 10Mbps upload in April.

That's surprising, since Videotron doesn't support upstream bonding

There have been a couple of postings here over the past few days of people reporting 3X upstream bonding in Quebec.. I assume those are on Videotron (?).

Edit: Can't find them right now.. I could have been confusing Cogeco's recent 3X uplink with Videotron in my mind.

4 channel bonding on upstream w/ videotron. Been like that for about 4 years minimum, as far as I recall.

Videotron & Shaw have been one of the best and most advanced cable companies is all of North America in terms of speed deployment in both upstream, downstream, and in terms of first to deploy. I think the Docsis 3 wiki even mentions it.

I don't know about Shaw, but Videotron has had 300-meg down and 100-meg up test beds since... going by memory since ~2009-2008.

@mlord, yeah I recall a few topics over the past few years talking about it. Tried looking, couldn't find them either.

Just came across this blog from 3 years ago though:
»www.cedmagazine.com/blogs/2010/0···h-64-qam

Been a few years... this isn't anything new with videotron. Not sure where people are getting that they have no upstream bonding...

I also seem to recall a Motorola or Cisco white-paper on videotron and their set-up and the research they all put in to become the first and fastest in all of North America. I *think* it might have been on Goldbergs blog 3-4 years ago.

Anyhow... been a few years. Nothing new.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to MJB

said by MJB:

Will The SBG6580 Modem Work On Teksavvy Cable? 8*4 Channel Bonding..

TSI Marc?

Only the modems listed on TekSavvy's website in the Approved Modems list under Cable packages are allowed by Rogers on their network.

As for will it work, some users here on DSLR have gotten non-approved Motorola modems with TekSavvy accounts. They report it as SB6121 and give them the serial number of their modem. This is not recommended though, if you ever have any issues like DHCP. line sync/quality or other issues that need to get forwarded to Rogers for a ticket, they can simply deny support on the basis of an unsupported CPE device being connected.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

2 edits
reply to Gone

said by Gone:

said by Guspaz:

The decision sucks, but the retroactive Bell discount will help them migrate as many users as they can to DSL.

And, as I said earlier, it really sucks because the footprint for them to migrate those cable customers to VDSL is piddly small compared to who they can serve with cable above 6Mbit/s right now.

Based on the info at the below link, 43% of Bell line loops have been upgraded to qualify for VDSL, and 59% to qualify for at least SOME level of FTTN DSL service.

»Re: Start communications as of Feb-11-2013 2Mb DSL service

This also means that 41% are limited to legacy DSL of 6Mbps and less, and that 16% (59 less 43, such as at MY location) should currently qualify for FTTN but not for VDSL.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

I dont know when exactly... I'll be on here discussing as soon as I have a better idea though.

Thanks.

Am catching up on thread now and see that you answered before I asked a 2nd time.

Who knows - mayhaps you added more after that - only about a dozen pages to go....

Need COFFEE !

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to resa1983

said by resa1983:

SUMMARY (from Page 35 of current thread) »Re: Major CRTC decision next week. - CBB :

Bell's capacity costs dropped dropped 53%.
Telus's access costs in Alberta & BC dropped 1.8% - 24.5%
Cogeco's capacity dropped 5%. No change in access fees.
Everyone else's capacity & access went up.

Changes are retroactive to Feb 2012.
For TPIA providers who have both GAS & TPIA, the Bell refund should be able to cover the increases for Rogers Videotron & Shaw.
For those who only have TPIA on aggregated, such as Start Cable, this will be a kick to the stomach as they'll need to eat this difference as they can't retroactively charge.

Legacy 6mbps GAS unaffected.

Also:
They're opening another consultation for modem fees, different access costs (like Bell charging $90 for any FTTN install, even if you're just upgrading from another dsl service & don't need an install), and as well, asking about any OPTIONAL speeds.

The optional speeds question in the consultation is from my submission in November regarding Rogers offering 45/7 to their own customers in selected areas, and that I doubted Rogers would be offering 45/7 to TPIA - which led to Rogers being ordered to state upload speeds on their tariff refile due this month.

Business GAS will cost the same as residential GAS - no more massive increase for no service difference whatsoever. Same with Business Cable & Residential Cable.

Thanks.

I may pospone reading the next 10 pages and have a nap.

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !

lbonnell

join:2013-02-21
reply to TSI Marc

does fttn dsl service still require dsl filters on all telephones?

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4

said by lbonnell:

does fttn dsl service still require dsl filters on all telephones?

Yes, though Bell usually installs a POTS splitter near the demarc and then connects the modem to a dedicated non-voice jack. No filters required.

lbonnell

is it part of the install or something you have to request extra?
i would certainly consider switching to dsl again but i hated the filters.
curious as you said "usually" what makes them decide to install or not to install the pots splitter?

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

It's part of the install.

The reason I said usually is because to the best of my knowledge they won't put one in for a dry loop, but they'll still show up to make sure that the loop is assigned properly.

bbiab

join:2004-05-26

said by Gone:

The reason I said usually is because to the best of my knowledge they won't put one in for a dry loop, but they'll still show up to make sure that the loop is assigned properly.

So then if you order a 2nd line dry and they don't put a splitter in, and then you cancel the 1st line to put the POTS on the dry, then they come back and do the job proper?

lbonnell

reply to Gone

is bell.ca more accurate then teksavvy for determining speeds available?

bell indicates 5mbps is the best i can obtain based on phone # / postal code
teksavvy says i can get 25/10 based on postal code.

could this have something to do with the fact that my pots is with teksavvy?

King Sull
Premium
join:2012-03-26
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Marc

Googles hiring fiber engineers in Waterloo Ontario if you all didn't know. Sooo...........soon

»business.financialpost.com/2013/···aterloo/

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to bbiab

said by bbiab:

So then if you order a 2nd line dry and they don't put a splitter in, and then you cancel the 1st line to put the POTS on the dry, then they come back and do the job proper?

No, because you could just move the second line to the splitter yourself.

Bugblndr

join:2010-03-02
Burlington, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Gone

said by Gone:

They put one in on both my dry loops.

squircle

join:2009-06-23
Oakville, ON
reply to lbonnell

said by lbonnell:

bell indicates 5mbps is the best i can obtain based on phone # / postal code
teksavvy says i can get 25/10 based on postal code.

You should call Teksavvy or post in the direct forum so they can qualify you with Bell's tools, which are more accurate then a simple postal code check.

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5

Yeah qualifying on postal codes never works. Bell's online tool is fairly accurate these days so if it says 5 megs, not likely you'll get any better elsewhere.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to Bugblndr

said by Bugblndr:

They put one in on both my dry loops.

Really? I had a guy out last week for a dry loop and he didn't put one on, but I pointed out to him how I was using the old POTS splitter from a previous DSL install.

Bugblndr

join:2010-03-02
Burlington, ON

Actually I just double checked, they put one on one of the lines, for the second the inside guy never showed up. A few months ago when I switched back from Cable to VDSL they never showed up either.

bbiab

join:2004-05-26
reply to Gone

In this scenario, there is no splitter.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

said by bbiab:

In this scenario, there is no splitter.

You can still use one as a low-pass filter even on a dry loop.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..
reply to mlerner

said by mlerner:

Yeah qualifying on postal codes never works. Bell's online tool is fairly accurate these days so if it says 5 megs, not likely you'll get any better elsewhere.

bell.ca says my address doesn't qualify for any service, however TSI can see I qualify for 25/10 and the Bell DSLR direct forum guy was able to see my address qualified for 25/10 too.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to TSI Marc

said by hm :

4 channel bonding on upstream w/ videotron. Been like that for about 4 years minimum, as far as I recall.

In Quebec City, yes. Everywhere else in Quebec, no, Videotron's cable offering has been much more primative, only a basic 4x1 setup.

That's why they didn't offer anything more than 60/3 outside of Quebec City until recently.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to jmck

said by jmck:

bell.ca says my address doesn't qualify for any service, however TSI can see I qualify for 25/10 and the Bell DSLR direct forum guy was able to see my address qualified for 25/10 too.

You might have been lit up for 25/10 recently enough that it hasn't populated to every database they have.

TypeS

London, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to jmck

said by jmck:

said by mlerner:

Bell has reps on DSLr forums? o.o

kovy

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8

said by TypeS:

said by jmck:

said by mlerner:

Bell has reps on DSLr forums? o.o

Yeah look at their forum.

WaitForGodot

join:2009-01-07

said by kovy:

...with oodles and oodles of praises I suppose !! NOT!!

TypeS

London, ON
reply to kovy

Oh nice, guess I will go ask about if Fibe speeds up to 25/10 are really available in my area.

kovy

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8
reply to WaitForGodot

said by WaitForGodot:

said by kovy:

...with oodles and oodles of praises I suppose !! NOT!!

Well I heard its better then calling.

jacketfeng

join:2008-12-21
Toronto, ON
reply to TSI Marc

if bell gonna upgrade their speed, teksavvy also will match up ?

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to InvalidError

said by InvalidError:

said by MaynardKrebs:

(and CNOC's collective 5% of the market)

That 5% is from something like two years ago. TSI alone has gone from ~70k in their pre-TPIA days to ~200k today so I would expect 3rd-party awareness to have pushed that 5% figure up a point or three over the past year or two.

Right.

Actually, it was 6.2% (550K subs, IIRC) at the time when the Open Media Anti-UBB petition began.

Then TPIA cable caught on as a way to diversify from the evil of Bell.

TSI Marc recently posted here of them having over 200K subs overall, and it seems to me that it was something like 50 or 60K back then.

I'm not sure where the newer stats would be found, but rest assured folks, it's no 6.2% anymore for Indies' total, let alone 5% !