join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..
reply to mlerner

Re: Major CRTC decision next week. - CBB

said by mlerner:

Yeah qualifying on postal codes never works. Bell's online tool is fairly accurate these days so if it says 5 megs, not likely you'll get any better elsewhere.

bell.ca says my address doesn't qualify for any service, however TSI can see I qualify for 25/10 and the Bell DSLR direct forum guy was able to see my address qualified for 25/10 too.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to TSI Marc

said by hm :

4 channel bonding on upstream w/ videotron. Been like that for about 4 years minimum, as far as I recall.

In Quebec City, yes. Everywhere else in Quebec, no, Videotron's cable offering has been much more primative, only a basic 4x1 setup.

That's why they didn't offer anything more than 60/3 outside of Quebec City until recently.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to jmck

said by jmck:

bell.ca says my address doesn't qualify for any service, however TSI can see I qualify for 25/10 and the Bell DSLR direct forum guy was able to see my address qualified for 25/10 too.

You might have been lit up for 25/10 recently enough that it hasn't populated to every database they have.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to jmck

said by jmck:

said by mlerner:

Yeah qualifying on postal codes never works. Bell's online tool is fairly accurate these days so if it says 5 megs, not likely you'll get any better elsewhere.

Bell has reps on DSLr forums? o.o

kovy

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8

said by TypeS:

said by jmck:

said by mlerner:

Bell has reps on DSLr forums? o.o

Yeah look at their forum.

WaitForGodot

join:2009-01-07

said by kovy:

...with oodles and oodles of praises I suppose !! NOT!!

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
reply to kovy

Oh nice, guess I will go ask about if Fibe speeds up to 25/10 are really available in my area.

kovy

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8
reply to WaitForGodot

said by WaitForGodot:

said by kovy:

...with oodles and oodles of praises I suppose !! NOT!!

Well I heard its better then calling.

jacketfeng

join:2008-12-21
Toronto, ON
reply to TSI Marc

if bell gonna upgrade their speed, teksavvy also will match up ?

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to InvalidError

said by InvalidError:

said by MaynardKrebs:

(and CNOC's collective 5% of the market)

That 5% is from something like two years ago. TSI alone has gone from ~70k in their pre-TPIA days to ~200k today so I would expect 3rd-party awareness to have pushed that 5% figure up a point or three over the past year or two.

Right.

Actually, it was 6.2% (550K subs, IIRC) at the time when the Open Media Anti-UBB petition began.

Then TPIA cable caught on as a way to diversify from the evil of Bell.

TSI Marc recently posted here of them having over 200K subs overall, and it seems to me that it was something like 50 or 60K back then.

I'm not sure where the newer stats would be found, but rest assured folks, it's no 6.2% anymore for Indies' total, let alone 5% !

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to MaynardKrebs

said by MaynardKrebs:

said by InvalidError:

That 5% is from something like two years ago.

TSI alone has gone from ~70k in their pre-TPIA days to ~200k today so I would expect 3rd-party awareness to have pushed that 5% figure up a point or three over the past year or two.

Call me when the indies have 20-30% market share. Then we may have a market.

Would 10% be believable at present ?

andyb
Premium
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario

I thought I saw 7% in one of the CRTC sheets Thursday

simsin0

join:2008-01-06
reply to TSI Marc

cant wait to see what this means for vdsl service! want to make the jumpt to 25/10 or maybe even 50/10!

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Midland, ON
kudos:3
reply to TSI Marc

So being as the prices for cable now suck for tek and they will cover my area this year at least I'd hope are they keeping unlimited or is that retiring now?

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5

said by TOPDAWG:

are they keeping unlimited or is that retiring now?

They will most likely stick around but expect a $10-30 hike.

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Midland, ON
kudos:3

hm that sucks prices are high as is 28/1 over 50 I mean damn. The state of the internet is Canada so damn pathetic.

cidknee0

join:2009-02-28
reply to TSI Marc

And you can thank the CRTC for keeping it that way. They have been taking bribes from Rogers and Bell forever to do what they want. This is just one more example.

bdoyledimou

join:2002-08-20
Markham, ON
reply to TSI Marc

if TekSavvy raises their cable 28 unlimited price -- even by $10 -- it is once again cheaper to stay with the incumbents -- and faster -- with proper direct support.

As it took me 1 minutes with a calculator to deduce this -- i am sure Tek is aware of this -- as would the CRTC.

JMJimmy

join:2008-07-23
reply to TSI Marc

I wonder if anyone is going to do the math to see if the costs as stated in the decision match up with the price/profit margin shown on Bhell's year end for it's internet division.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5

said by JMJimmy:

I wonder if anyone is going to do the math to see if the costs as stated in the decision match up with the price/profit margin shown on Bhell's year end for it's internet division.

The average Bell subscriber uses ~70% less data per month than the average wholesale subscriber so the CBB charges do not affect Bell anywhere near as much as they affect 3rd-parties.

Another factor that may help Bell claim lower CBB costs for their own subscribers is that traffic is divided between peering in Boston, Chicago, NY and probably other places which should allow more even and balanced loading across the core network rather than funneled directly to Toronto like most GAS traffic is. I could see this reducing Bell's own retail CBB costs by ~30%.

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Marc

If cable rates do go an extraordinary amount I'll just wait out the transition to APOI at the higher rather on my 28/1 account and then downgrade to 25/2 when APOI is live. I'll get all the download speed I could ever care for and more upload which is what I actually want. Hopefully this reduction in the package will compensate for whatever increase we have coming with the new CBB pricing.

Gruesome

join:2007-10-18
Milton, ON
reply to TSI Marc

How long before they are all in front of the CRTC again?
As speeds rise the situation becomes unsupportable.
Soon the incumbents will be able to offer speeds that the independents can't because they won't be able to afford the traffic that comes with them
Around and around

bbhog

join:2010-07-05
North York, ON

@Gruesome I think you are right. This will have to be fought by CNOC and IISPs again in a couple years.

d_source

join:2011-01-18

I doubt it will even take a couple years before they realize it's not supportable.

AkFubar
Admittedly, A Teksavvy Fan

join:2005-02-28
Toronto CAN.
reply to TSI Marc

Perhaps at that time they will nationalize the incumbent's network so that all ISP can use use it. It is possible that it could be purchased by the gov enhanced and shared out.
--
BHell... A Public Futility.

The Mongoose

join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

said by AkFubar:

Perhaps at that time they will nationalize the incumbent's network so that all ISP can use use it. It is possible that it could be purchased by the gov enhanced and shared out.

The only thing worse than Bell and Rogers running the last-mile network would be the government running it.

koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by The Mongoose:

said by AkFubar:

The only thing worse than Bell and Rogers running the last-mile network would be the government running it.

I disagree a little.. I think local government (city, town etc) could install dark fibre to each lot as they do for water and sewage hookups. It's something that I feel really would level the playing field. It also would allow each provider to run their own last mile.

The Mongoose

join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

said by koreyb:

I disagree a little.. I think local government (city, town etc) could install dark fibre to each lot as they do for water and sewage hookups. It's something that I feel really would level the playing field. It also would allow each provider to run their own last mile.

I love the idea in theory. In practice, I fear corrupt and incompetent governments would screw it up through bad contracting practices and mismanagement. You could wind up with a very expensive and unreliable network maintained entirely by unionized government workers. Governments simply can't be trusted not to try to gain political leverage from something like that.

d_source

join:2011-01-18
reply to AkFubar

With the current Guv of ON dumping/selling resources to create quick cash to pay off provincial debt, it's highly doubtful they would buy anything, especially something that will require a lot of money for constant upgrades.

AkFubar
Admittedly, A Teksavvy Fan

join:2005-02-28
Toronto CAN.
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TSI Marc

Well i don't entirely agree that nationalization would be a problem a change in gov, the correct "arms length" agency with the proper planning and input could make it a possible solution. I agree the current system is unsupportable in the longer term, pretty well the only way to do it will be an industry shared network. Nationalization is ONE option.
--
BHell... A Public Futility.