uniqs

Blockgorilla
Sarcasm is my native tongue
join:2010-02-11
Wichita, KS

Blockgorilla to Octavean

to Octavean

Re: First NVIDIA GeForce Titan 780 Performance Numbers Revealed

i bet you this card can max out a pci-e 2.0 x16 lanes ?
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO

me1212

Can a 690/7990? If so chances are yes. Wonder when something comparable to it will make it to the x60 slot, so I can actually afford it. :P

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to Blockgorilla

Premium Member

to Blockgorilla
said by Blockgorilla:

You definitely want to be on Z77 or X79 if you are putting down a grand for a GTX Titan.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

said by Krisnatharok:

said by Blockgorilla:

You definitely want to be on Z77 or X79 if you are putting down a grand for a GTX Titan.

lol....dude, I can guarantee you there's someone out there somewhere that bought a 690 and plugged it into a PCI-E 1.0 board.
me1212
Lees Summit, MO

me1212

Thats a disturbing thought. Although it does cause me to wonder what would happen if one were put in a 1.0/1.0 o 2.0/2.1 slot how much worse would it preform compared to a 3.0 slot? I'll be interested to see what the benches show.

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

We know it would obviously perform better than anything else plugged into there... but I'd be curious to know how much better it would be in a 2.0 or 3.0 slot then as well.
me1212
Lees Summit, MO
·Google Fiber

me1212

I just realized, doesn't AMD have like no mother boards with pcie 3.0? Yeah I know kinda off topic, but how much else is this gonna put amd behind? The 680 and even amd's own 7970, when using multi gpus, are better preforming in pcie 3.0 than 2.0(Not sure how much more never done the math myself), I assume the same is true for the 7990 and 690, and most likely this one too. Like I said probably a bit off topic but it worries me that we may have even less competition if amd doesn't get its chip sets in gear and put pcie 3.0 on boards.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

quote:
ASUS Unveils World's First PCI-Express 3.0 Motherboard for AMD Processors

ASUS did the unthinkable yet simple, by innovating the first AMD platform motherboard that features PCI-Express 3.0 x16 slots, the Sabertooth 990FX/GEN3.0 R2.0. Long naming aside, the board provides you a couple of gen 3.0 slots by using PLX-made 48-lane PCI-Express Gen 3.0 bridge chip.

»www.techpowerup.com/1785 ··· ors.html
me1212
Lees Summit, MO

me1212

Woops, looks like I'm outdated. Sorry about that, hadnt heard about that yet. good to see though.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

Well it's still very new and I don't know if its even hit the market yet. In other words I don't know if it can be purchased yet. It's also just one board by one manufactur so your thinking isn't outdated IMO.

ASUS does some degree of innovation but sometimes they get ahead of themselves and come up with products that they have been effectively unable to bring to market due to outside forces. For example ASUS outfitted most of their Z77 motherboards with a "TB_Header" intended for use with a ThunderboltEX add-in card that was never released. The ThunderboltEX card was supposed to add Intel Thunderbolt support to these Thunderbolt ready motherboards but Intel refused it certification.

ASUS also intended to bring Intel Thunderbolt to AMD motherboards in a similar way via the "TB_Header" and ThunderboltEX card which is surprising since an Intel video subsystem (iGPU) is a requirement of the spec. Needless to say Intel had a part in smacking this down too,....

I guess my point is you have to see it for sale before you can really see it as a viable solution.