silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix

Re: Wii U

The Wii U had an estimated sales of between 50-60k for January. That is beyond horrible for a new console. Maybe the dinosaur (Nintendo) will get the hint and just exit the console business already. Yes, I said it.

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Thorndale, ON

1 edit

1 recommendation

danawhitaker

Premium Member

said by silbaco:

The Wii U had an estimated sales of between 50-60k for January. That is beyond horrible for a new console. Maybe the dinosaur (Nintendo) will get the hint and just exit the console business already. Yes, I said it.

That number is quite low. But compare the total number of Wii Us on the market to the same number of PS3s and 360s and Wiis on the market after their respective launches (all of which were in November of their respective years, so the length of time should be comparable:

»vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/P ··· _figures

»vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Wii

»vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Xbox_360

The Wii U is at around 3 million. The PS3 was at 3.6 million at the end of Quarter 3, which is about 1.5 months from now. The 360 was at 3.2. The original Wii did better than any of those.

"Sony expected to sell 6 million units by the fiscal year ending in March 2007.[17] Only 3.68 million were sold, falling short of that mark."

One valid argument might be that the 360 and PS3 weren't selling as many because they were harder to find I suppose, while the Wii U was easily attainable even in the throes of the holiday season. I sort of wonder if it's slightly a victim of its own availability in that respect. Because it's not sold out constantly, there's less buzz. There also haven't been any titles released since launch that would really help generate that buzz either.

I didn't find a month by month comparison, but it may be that everyone who *really* wanted the Wii U at launch or near it bought it already, while with the 360 and PS3 those sales may have been spread out more over that first two month period because of lack of availability. It'll be interesting to compare it all when the PS4 or next Xbox launches.

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

1 recommendation

C0deZer0

Premium Member

Not to mention the original Wii retailed for cheaper than any of the other systems you mentioned, WiiU included, at launch, so a lot of ebay hambeasts then bought lots of them to turn around and sell for insane markups for holiday shopping ebay bids.