TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG to rocca

Premium Member

to rocca

Re: Start Communications - new TPIA Rogers/Cogeco

ah I see I see so how long once everything is out will it take for you guys to make up your mind?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

Probably about a week.
Sanek
join:2006-08-10
Kanata, ON

Sanek

Any plans to offer unlimited for the higher-end cable tiers? Kind of not feeling very comfortable with having $0.5/GB overage with no max as far as I can tell.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

not yet should know what will happen in the future after this week.
morisato
join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

1 recommendation

morisato

Would be nice to see 150/10 with Unlimited bandwidth P:) Cmon rocca u know u want a HOG who uses a 150/10 connection 24/7!

yesnomaybeso
@start.ca

yesnomaybeso

Anon

»www.cbc.ca/news/technolo ··· ing.html

So good news for Start customers on Cogeco lines ? I am in Sarnia and from what I believe this article is saying this means good news for me.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca to morisato

Premium Member

to morisato
said by morisato:

Would be nice to see 150/10 with Unlimited bandwidth P:) Cmon rocca u know u want a HOG who uses a 150/10 connection 24/7!

Sure thing, $3000/mo and I *might* break even on it.
Guru
join:2008-10-01

Guru

said by rocca:

said by morisato:

LOOOL.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to rocca

Premium Member

to rocca
said by rocca:

said by morisato:

The problem with all these people asking for Unlimited options.. and I'm sure rocca gets this, but a lot of you probably don't.. is that people paying a BIG premium over capped service, will use what they are paying for. Really use it.

Normal pricing/over-subscription theory would suggest that you could charge 10% of the cost, expecting that on average people only use 5-7% of what they can during peak hours. That would be true for the vast majority of unlimited customers if the cost was only a small premium over regular accounts. Once the cost is 3x or 5x the cost of a regular account, people are going to feel motivated to extract "full value" out of it (or look at it from another perspective, only people who really plan to exploit unlimited will sign up).

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

Very well explained.

It's a vicious circle as well, ie the higher the premium is, the fewer lower usage people will pay to be in the 'unlimited pot' which rapidly increases the average which causes those getting the least amount of value to exit the plan, thus continuing to raise the average cost of those remaining. Repeat.

silvercat
join:2007-11-07

silvercat to Teddy Boom

to Teddy Boom
said by Teddy Boom:

The problem with all these people asking for Unlimited options.. and I'm sure rocca gets this, but a lot of you probably don't.. is that people paying a BIG premium over capped service, will use what they are paying for. Really use it.

Maybe having unlimited service could mean that i won't have to check my usage stats all the time, and just be unworried that i'm going to go over the bandwidth cap. Doesn't necessarily mean that usage will increase significantly. Unlimited or not, i don't think people's habits with respect to streaming TV (Netflix, MLBTV, NHL Gamecenter Live, etc...) will change -- what i mean to say is that they will still watch streaming video during primetime, unlimited or not.

Where unlimited usage could be a problem, is with Peer to Peer programs (torrents, Usenet, etc...) -- but users, if they have proper awareness, should download these extra "programs" off-peak. This is easy to schedule.

One idea, is to just have the bandwidth meter running during peak times (since the highest peak bandwidth in any given month determines how much Start will have to pay Cogeco -- and the highest peak bandwidth point *will* be during prime time hours). I don't know if it is feasible to calculate bandwidth this way, but it's a thought. The math is probably not so simple.

upgraded
@cogeco.net

upgraded

Anon

What people say they will do, and what they actually will do are 2 separate things.

I can tell you I will download all my nzb headers off of peak time, but if I am a paying customer and decide at prime time I want to, there is nothing stopping me.

I could tell Rocca that I will download all my linux isos at night, but if a release comes out at 9pm, why should I wait since I am a paying customer?

I am sure this is part of his fear/business plan.
morisato
join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

morisato

RIP Rocca P:0 retroactive increases ouch,.. 150/10 not happening anytime soon..

silvercat
join:2007-11-07

silvercat to upgraded

to upgraded
said by upgraded :

I can tell you I will download all my nzb headers off of peak time, but if I am a paying customer and decide at prime time I want to, there is nothing stopping me.

I could tell Rocca that I will download all my linux isos at night, but if a release comes out at 9pm, why should I wait since I am a paying customer?

I think that you're right about this, and this is a very good point that you're making.