Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

1 edit

C0deZer0 to me1212

Premium Member

to me1212

Re: PlayStation 4 will stream PS3 games, reports WSJ.

They make it sound like how OnLive does it now.

The problem is that it means that your existing PS3 disc library won't work at all. Sony has said as much already from reports leading up to this point.

But again, I still don't see any reasonable or valid excuse why Sony decided to try to make us forget all about the PS2 when it came to the question of BC for the PS3. From a logical standpoint, it makes more sense for Sony to have dropped direct PS1 compatibility while retaining PS2 compatibility on the PS3... much like how the WiiU is directly compatible with the Wii games, but not the GameCube games, while mentioning that they intend on having GC games available for Virtual console.

I forsee a similar 'service', where PS3 games could be re-purchased/downloaded for play on the PS4... eventually. And while PS4 is switching architecture to an x86 style hardware, it's at least now possible to play PlayStation One and PlayStation 2 games on a PC platform reasonably well... not perfect regarding PS2, but no worse from what I'd seen when compared to a softBC PS3 or a slim defaulting to the leftover debug-mode PS2 emulator left in Sony firmware code.

From what I can take away from the article, it basically sounds like a form of OnLive, specific to PS3 games, and will likely be a subscription thing if PS Plus is any indication.

I will laugh if I see them trying to offer a rhythm game through streaming... basically anything that would normally need super-tight input latency... for PS1 that would easily include Bust a Groove, but on PS2, that would mostly account for DDR and your Guitar Hero's and Rock Band games. Yea, good luck with that.
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO
·Google Fiber

me1212

said by C0deZer0:

. basically anything that would normally need super-tight input latency...

That brings me to think of another thing, what about the people that have crap internet? Sony just gonna give em the middle finger? They bought all this ps3 stuff and now poof its useless.

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker

Premium Member

said by me1212:

said by C0deZer0:

. basically anything that would normally need super-tight input latency...

That brings me to think of another thing, what about the people that have crap internet? Sony just gonna give em the middle finger? They bought all this ps3 stuff and now poof its useless.

Useless is a stretch. No one's forcing people to get rid of their PS3 and only use a PS4.

C0deZer0
Premium Member
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

Except $ony, when they stop supporting the system.

danawhitaker
Premium Member
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker

Premium Member

That wouldn't affect someone who bought only physical games though generally, would it? I guess it would affect anything with online multiplayer if they stop maintaining the PSN for the PS3 and such. But that's definitely not a new problem. Original Xbox games no longer have online multiplayer capability either. That's sort of a risk you take investing in any game or service that requires you to be connected or is multiplayer only. Just last year Sony finally shut down Everquest Online Adventures for PS2.

C0deZer0
Premium Member
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

Well, it is a problem already... one can't get another system like the launch models with BC new, even on eBay, and even if you by chance luck out and find one that is unopened, Sony won't treat it as a "new" system either, and demand close to $200 a pop if it needs to go in for service at any point. And that's if they'll accept it for service anymore, since it's basically at their discretion whether to repair it or blow you off and tell you to buy a neutered unit.

danawhitaker
Premium Member
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker

Premium Member

said by C0deZer0:

Well, it is a problem already... one can't get another system like the launch models with BC new, even on eBay, and even if you by chance luck out and find one that is unopened, Sony won't treat it as a "new" system either, and demand close to $200 a pop if it needs to go in for service at any point. And that's if they'll accept it for service anymore, since it's basically at their discretion whether to repair it or blow you off and tell you to buy a neutered unit.

I guess that's why I've stopped getting rid of my old consoles when I upgrade. My Wii is sitting right next to my Wii U on my TV stand right now (well, metaphorically speaking anyway). I have a PS1, eventually I plan to reacquire a PS2 as well.

For what it's worth, there are other places you can get PS3s serviced than Sony. I know someone who does repairs. Often they will recommend that people just get a new one or purchase a second-hand one somewhere rather than repairing because of the cost, but if you're really adamant about keeping your launch model with BC, I bet there's someone who could handle the repair.

captokita
Premium Member
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

captokita to C0deZer0

Premium Member

to C0deZer0
said by C0deZer0:

But again, I still don't see any reasonable or valid excuse why Sony decided to try to make us forget all about the PS2 when it came to the question of BC for the PS3.

Maybe because at the end of the day they want you buying NEW PS3 games? New buyers, non PS2 owners, are likely not going to care about BC. For ME, I never get rid of old consoles. I have HDLoader on my PS2, something I couldn't use on a BC PS3, and have Japanese games for my PS1, which again, aren't supported by either the PS2 or PS3. So BC is irrelevant to me.

I see the wanting for full BC - but a company like Sony at the end of the day, doesn't make (additional) money from you playing PS2/PS1 games on your PS3.