spc
Search similar:

uniqs

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

haroldo

[iPad] iPad Mail not searching beyond the downloaded items

If I'm not mistaken, iPad used to search emails on your device and then it would offer to search emails on the server.
Now iPad only searches the hundred messages that have been downloaded but it does not search beyond that. It doesn't offer to search items still on the server.
Is this normal?
Thanks!

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person
join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

not quite right

I found a ton of references to this issue, but not one fix. It did seem to be more common amongst G-mail users than anyone else. Are you using a G-mail account by chance. I would hate to think that Google is purposely causing an annoyance in the native mail app in hopes of forcing people into using the G-mail app. I for one only use my old mobile me (iCloud) acct. and do receive the "continue to search server" message.

haroldo
USA

haroldo

yes to gMail

bbarrera
MVM
join:2000-10-23
Sacramento, CA

bbarrera

MVM

i have gmail setup as exchange account, it syncs only 1 month local to ipad, and I just searched for a 3 year old email and it was found immediately

haroldo
USA

haroldo

I recall trying to use Exchange on iToys about a year ago, but for some reason (I can't remember) I didn't like it and reverted to IMAP. Can you let me know what negatives there might be. I wish I remembered why I undid it

bbarrera
MVM
join:2000-10-23
Sacramento, CA

1 edit

bbarrera

MVM

I dunno, Google's IMAP support sucks IMHO and using it confused the hell out of my wife.

Setting up as Exchange made things 'just work' for my wife. Google is moving away from ActiveSync support on free gmail accounts.

The basic problem is that Google created its own mail system and Gmail doesn't use a standard like IMAP, it only supports it for compatibility reasons (along with POP and Exchange ActiveSync).

pike
Premium Member
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC

pike to not quite right

Premium Member

to not quite right
said by not quite right:

I would hate to think that Google is purposely causing an annoyance in the native mail app in hopes of forcing people into using the G-mail app.

Quite the opposite, actually. The original implementation of Google's ActiveSync didn't support this functionality but it was recently added (within the past 6 months or so).

not quite right
Puyallup, WA

not quite right

No active sync was only for business accts. Otherwise you had to set G-mail up as an Exchange acct. which the ability to do so has been removed by google with the introduction of the G-mail App ...

haroldo
USA

1 edit

haroldo to bbarrera

to bbarrera
I'll try it again
Thanks!

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike to haroldo

Mod

to haroldo
iOS does not like a large amount of Exchange mail.

It will take up to 30 seconds to find something in my inbox. Only in iOS 6.

haroldo
USA

haroldo to bbarrera

to bbarrera
Do I have to set anything up at gmail.com? I set it up on iPhone, but email that was received at web site too 10 minutes to show on phone. Thanks!
haroldo

1 edit

haroldo

Set up Exchange on iPhone, it works.
Set it up exactly the same on iPad and nothing shows up in Mail
Am I a moron?
I deleted the exchange account and added it again, four times.
I rebooted the phone
I held iPhone up next to iPad to make sure I was doing it the same way
Frustrated
Does it work on iPad?
haroldo

1 edit

haroldo

I deleted the Exchange account again and I'm copying every item from iPhone and it still doesn't work.
I even deleted the account from iPhone and added it back and it works perfectly (just to make sure I was doing it the same way)
How can this be? How can iPhone work and iPad not? Thanks

not quite right
Puyallup, WA

1 recommendation

not quite right

Haroldo this should help explain whats going on : »www.zdnet.com/google-dro ··· 0008836/

haroldo
USA

haroldo

Thanks...so if I understand it correctly, setting up an Exchange account (which is frequently recommended here) is not really an option anymore.
For some reason, I was able to set it up on iPhone, but not on iPad.
Just wondering if the iPhone eventually stop working?
modelamac7
join:2002-04-13
Waterford, MI

modelamac7 to haroldo

to haroldo
I just forward all Gmail to my iCloud mail account, and have them deleted on the server when that happens. There is now no need to search beyond my Mac.

I do periodically check the server Spam account for stuff that slipped thru the cracks.

not quite right
Puyallup, WA

not quite right to haroldo

to haroldo
said by haroldo:

For some reason, I was able to set it up on iPhone, but not on iPad.
Just wondering if the iPhone eventually stop working?

Its my understanding that some devices are grandfathered in, its only new devices that won't be able to use Google EAS. Now after reading several articals on this I'm not so sure if anyone but paid Google Apps customers will be able to use EAS.