spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

David9726

join:2013-02-16

[Rant] Comcast says no service for me?

I've been trying to get comcast service for some time, i really depend on the internet for everything i do being into tech so much gaming, watching TV online creating websites etc and just being into electronics in general. I live in a remote area and don't have many HSI options there's no DSL only satellite or 4G LTE but they are useless with such low bandwidth limits. I'm currently using a WISP but can't really stream anything or play any games online with them.

I am 1137 feet from the highway and comcast says that's to far to get service but i have to disagree my parents house is just up the road from me and is 700ft off the road and has no amp and the service works just fine.

To add insult to injury a mile down the road from where i live there is a house 1015 feet off the road and they have comcast service it does look like they have a amp in there line, i don't know them personally. These are all single houses no subdivisions or anything.

I just don't understand how they can give one person service way off the road and not another.

I haven't tried to get there service for about 4yrs so i'm going to try again and see what they say this time.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5

Expect to pay in to the high 4 to 5 figures to get yourself service.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to David9726

I would check the franchising agreement with the authority having jurisdiction to see if there are build out requirements and if Comcast may have to foot all or some of the cost.

Otherwise, your only other option unfortunately is to pay thousands of dollars for plant buildout or to relocate to a more urban area where broadband is available.

flwpwr

@comcast.net

1 edit
reply to David9726

its not from the highway that matters, its from the plant. Perhaps there is a off shoot of plant from the highway to within distance of your houses, or perhaps it was built before Comcast bought it and they are now stuck supporting it [everyone in my FFO knows we have enough of that crap] with bad build design, either way you were told no, so your only option is to see if there is a rule in the local municipal agreement that states they must serve someone in your situation and the chances are no there is not, but you can look and see. Google franchise agreements for more help.

Until then call DSL provider or wireless and see what they say.

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium
join:2004-11-12
reply to David9726

Over 400' of cable is a huge difference between you and your parents. Did they recently have it installed, was it there when they moved in? Do you recall it being installed?
The house further down the road with a more "like" situation appears to have hardline and an amp running to the home. They most likely paid for that "plant extension" or maybe even have a Business Class service with a contract. In most cases the Business still pays for the extension.

Your best bet is to see the Franchise agreement if they still exist in your area. But there is a cost to loss calculation that goes into effect in most of those agreements. And the cost of extending plant to your residence Vs the projected profit is usually a bad gamble. Therefore- the cost gets passed on to you.
--
CableTechs.org/"Horrible People with Integrity"

David9726

The cable for the other two houses was already ran by a cable company that comcast bought.

honestly i would pay a few grand to get decent internet. It's that important to me and moving is out of the question i have way to much land and plus a new house that i intend to live in until i pass away so it would be a long term thing hopefully 50+ yrs.

travelguy

join:1999-09-03
Santa Fe, NM
reply to David9726

If you have true line of sight between your property and someone with service, you can look into a wireless link.

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
reply to David9726

said by David9726:

The cable for the other two houses was already ran by a cable company that comcast bought.

honestly i would pay a few grand to get decent internet. It's that important to me and moving is out of the question i have way to much land and plus a new house that i intend to live in until i pass away so it would be a long term thing hopefully 50+ yrs.

It's going to take more than a few, I suspect.

LSUDVM

@comcast.net
reply to David9726

Do you have a neighbor with Comcast and who is within 250 feet? If so then can tap their line and run a line to your house. That is what they did for me since my house too is a 1000 feet off the road.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5

said by LSUDVM :

Do you have a neighbor with Comcast and who is within 250 feet? If so then can tap their line and run a line to your house. That is what they did for me since my house too is a 1000 feet off the road.

That would depend entirely on plant design and not distance alone.

David9726

They said I can get service but its going to cost around 6, 000.

I can run the cable myself but where do you find 1200 ft of cable online? Most i have found is 1, 000 ft.

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA

You can't use 1200' of drop cable...

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to David9726

»store-puhr4.mybigcommerce.com/co···CASS.pdf

its not cheap.

also how did you plan on putting the cable in?
--
I'm better than you!

David9726

said by gar187er:

»store-puhr4.mybigcommerce.com/co···CASS.pdf

its not cheap.

also how did you plan on putting the cable in?

Direct burial wish I could use the power poles. Lol

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4

you renting a trencher?

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to David9726

Did they tell you to use 625 or are you just guessing? Around here 625 wouldnt be used for that long of a run. At 1100 feet its not just a matter of running the 1100 feet with main line. Its going to depend whats out there. Would hate to see you run all that main line only to find out you didnt save any money at all and there is a real good chance thats what happens.

flwpwr

@comcast.net
reply to David9726

said by David9726:

They said I can get service but its going to cost around 6, 000.

I can run the cable myself but where do you find 1200 ft of cable online? Most i have found is 1, 000 ft.

You need to stop, and ASK Comcast what you need to put in yourself since they are saying you can do it, becasue there are a lot of options and a lot of potential for you to buy something that is NOT going to work. Heck you can even buy fiber and put in but they cannot likely hook it up for you so....

There is a world of physics and physical laws involved in this and they will not just BEND to your will when you mess up. Instead they will leave you spending money on something that just CANNOT work for you in the end, and never say a peep the whole time.

If you are trying to do what I suspect you are trying to do, the chances of you doing this correctly are very low, without a GUIDE of some sort. Randomly buying coax online and putting it in a ditch is not likely going to work out. And if it was that simple, they'd of already done that, they contract those out every day. Now the more common set up is you do the physical work like digging the trench to save yourself some money and they do the wire installation after you do it. No different than the power company, they'll run it UG if you dig a trench but if they dig it, it costs an arm and a leg. But that sounds more like just drop work, and if that were the case you could just dig to the first utility pole anbd they could run it aerial to there and go underground at that point to the house, assuming it is utility right of way and not like a neighbors private pole.

Also we no longer direct bury stuff you put it in PVC conduit to protect it. It would suck to have to do all this over again next week becasue some kid went rock digging with a shovel in the wrong spot, no?

I would call back in for another serviceability and PAY attention to what your options are, if they tell you you can do some of it, ask for more information on what you need to be doing are you just digging the trench to save some money or are you buying coax, and if so what size, and what else. Ask them to wheel off the run for distance and WALK IT WITH THEM so you know where to dig and what the plan in. And last ask them for the cost and legal changes to the property, becasue it is very likely its no longer yours when they do this, along that path. If you are OK with that, great, if not.. you need to think about what you are doing before you do it, becasue once its done, you're too late.

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium
join:2004-11-12

Agree with Flwpwr here.
If they even allow you to do it yourself, which is doubtful, you would have to adhere to all specs put forth.
Also, since the extension will need an amp at the end, you will also need to have that run powered so its a live cable as it were with AC running through it to power the amp. They would power it obviously put that also changes regs on how you bury it.

Best of luck. If youve found the place and property you want to die on, this is a great investment for you. Hope it all works out!
--
CableTechs.org/"Horrible People with Integrity"

RR Conductor
NWP RR Inc.,serving NW CA
Premium
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
reply to David9726

What area are you in?

David9726

Comcast is doing the work themselves. They are going to extend the hardline to within 200ft of the house!

FirebirdTN

join:2012-12-13
Brighton, TN

1 edit
reply to David9726

-Deleted-

Looks like to OP got Comcast to work it all out.

-Alan

David9726

Yes i was extremely surprised and happy of course even if i do have to pay for it.

I will go from 3Mbps for $100 a month to 50Mbps for $79.95