spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Cdnmoose
join:2010-08-24
St John'S, NL

Cdnmoose

IS Cogeco going to offer unlimited

Anyone have any idea if Cogeco is going to offer unlimited internet like Rogers and Bell is doing right now?
mentro4
join:2013-02-16
Stoney Creek, ON

mentro4

Ya that's interesting since I have all 3 services with cogeco. Would be a nice addition because I'm sick and tired of always checking my internet usage.

RedMageX
join:2011-10-06
Hamilton, ON

RedMageX

Who knows. I've love to see an unlimited package, but considering they removed the original unlimited package years ago, it's anyone's guess as to if they will bring it back
daredevil
join:2012-01-15
Burlington, ON

daredevil to Cdnmoose

to Cdnmoose
I sure hope they do. Currently you could subscribe to one of their internet business packages for which they don't charge overage fees so its essentially unlimited. But i would like to see this in writing on all their packages. It would be nice especially with the residential packages since the prices are generally cheaper for the faster downloads speeds. I've been checking to see if cogeco is going to but nothing posted on their website. I am also checking start.ca as well since they service my area but no unlimited on the higher download cable speeds.
DeViLzzz
join:2004-07-29
Sarnia, ON

DeViLzzz

Changes are coming with the CRTC's decisions this next week. It will be interesting to see what it does to internet services offered across the nation.
DeViLzzz

1 edit

DeViLzzz to mentro4

to mentro4
mentro I always hated that with Cogeco and I am glad I no longer have to deal with that as I moved to Start.ca and while I don't have unlimited with my current package right now I do have 300 GB of usage which may be unlimited soon if the CRTC's decisions are what people are hoping for

btw if you want unlimited with Start.ca you can get it but at a slower speed
mentro4
Stoney Creek, ON

mentro4

Problem is Sean I have all 3 services with cogeco at a discount. Can't take advantage of discount if I don't have all 3. If i get rid of 1 I'll pay quite a bit more for the other 2.
DeViLzzz
join:2004-07-29
Sarnia, ON

DeViLzzz

Well sometimes it is about value too. I have VOIP phone I pay $19.83 inc tax for per month, cable internet from Start.ca I pay $62 n change for per month and I pay $31.99 per month for tv from Cogeco (minus sports pack). Point is in order to get these companies to give the consumer more in some instances you need to pay a little more sometimes to get them to change. Take money away from them and they will feel it. Btw you can get a discount with 2 services from Cogeco and I think the 3rd one only gives you a $5 discount if memory serves me correct.

Are you sure you are saving much by having 3 services with Cogeco ?

btw the VOIP phone I talked about well with that service for 6 months you only pay $14 and change and heck there are probably better deals out there that people have found

I find it hard to believe Cogeco really saves you that much and gives you good value in a 3 services bundle.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Cdnmoose

Premium Member

to Cdnmoose
For some reason, I can't see Cogeco offering any sort of unlimited option when they've gone out of their way to have the most punitive UBB in the entire country - not even if (or when?) the CBB review is out next week and Cogeco's rates are slashed.
Phorkster
Premium Member
join:2004-06-27
Windsor, ON

Phorkster to DeViLzzz

Premium Member

to DeViLzzz
said by DeViLzzz:

Well sometimes it is about value too. I have VOIP phone I pay $19.83 inc tax for per month, cable internet from Start.ca I pay $62 n change for per month and I pay $31.99 per month for tv from Cogeco (minus sports pack). Point is in order to get these companies to give the consumer more in some instances you need to pay a little more sometimes to get them to change. Take money away from them and they will feel it. Btw you can get a discount with 2 services from Cogeco and I think the 3rd one only gives you a $5 discount if memory serves me correct.

Are you sure you are saving much by having 3 services with Cogeco ?

btw the VOIP phone I talked about well with that service for 6 months you only pay $14 and change and heck there are probably better deals out there that people have found

I find it hard to believe Cogeco really saves you that much and gives you good value in a 3 services bundle.

I pay less than $8/month for my VOIP. $62 for Start with modem and about $90 with Shaw Direct for Satellite. Considering I was paying $110 with Cogeco for cable, $45 VOIP with Cogeco and $60 with Cogeco Internet.

Bundle Schmundle.

tristen1230
join:2010-12-26
Belleville, ON

tristen1230 to Cdnmoose

to Cdnmoose
Cogeco does, if you want to fork up $200 per month. I can see it being done but not for free. If it costs $200 for 60 Mbps down and 2 Mbps up and unlimited it would not be cheap. They would probably make more money on overages then offering unlimited for an affordable price.

Teksavvy will be offering unlimited cable in Cogeco foot print in Ontario VERY soon. Unlimited and same speeds for little extra in my opinion for how much most people are charging for unlimited plus if you want to pay $3 more a month on basically all packages with Cogeco you get 300 GB of bandwidth which to most people they would NEVER go over.
mentro4
Stoney Creek, ON

mentro4

where does it say on their website that if you pay 3 dollars extra a month you get 300 gigs a month?

tristen1230
Belleville, ON

tristen1230 to Cdnmoose

to Cdnmoose
Well it does not say exactly on the site but if you do the math for the packages.

Last Parade
join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON

Last Parade to Cdnmoose

to Cdnmoose
COGECO used to offer unlimited internet.

tristen1230
Belleville, ON

tristen1230 to Cdnmoose

to Cdnmoose
Lets look at those unlimited packages way back: »web.archive.org/web/*/ht ··· ogeco.ca
Phorkster
Premium Member
Windsor, ON

Phorkster to Last Parade

Premium Member

to Last Parade
No they didn't It was also in the TIA with the caps. They just decided to enforce it one day. I remember that day vividly because there was umpteen posts about getting internet service cut off for no reason. Cogeco forgot to mention it to the unwashed masses.
dad_of_3
join:2004-05-31
Ingleside, ON

dad_of_3

said by Phorkster:

No they didn't It was also in the TIA with the caps. They just decided to enforce it one day. I remember that day vividly because there was umpteen posts about getting internet service cut off for no reason. Cogeco forgot to mention it to the unwashed masses.

it was the third week of September 2007...burned into my memory

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to Last Parade

Premium Member

to Last Parade
said by Last Parade:

COGECO used to offer unlimited internet.

Was never "unlimited", if you go back there was something like 20GB down and actually 2GB up (they separated the upstream and downstream, which is completely insane by todays standards).

They just never enforced it, it was a soft cap at the time. Some people got "hit" closer if they were in a more congested area than others, so that's why it seemed so inconsistent.

I don't know what the practice is today, but that was the practice about 10 years ago when I was there...then again our "Standard" internet was the only service available and it was a 3mbit down and 384kbit service up.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

You mean 2Mbit down and 128kbit up.

And I *think* the limits were something weird like 10 down and 5 up or 10 down and 10 up. I remember lots of my friends would get "letters" but I never did.
mentro4
Stoney Creek, ON

1 edit

mentro4

Does cogeco usually follow bell and rogers?

Last Parade
Port Colborne, ON

Last Parade to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

And I *think* the limits were something weird like 10 down and 5 up or 10 down and 10 up. I remember lots of my friends would get "letters" but I never did.

it was 5 down, 1 up as late as 2002.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Standard was never 5/1. Pro might have been, but I don't think it got the 1Mbit upload until the download hit 10. It was 640k prior to that.

It was 2/128k when I got hooked up in St. Cats in 2000.

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

It WAS 2/128....then it moved to 3/384....this was all before pro came out, pro was just there as I was leaving in 2005...

It eventually unofficially went to 4/384 then 4/512, then 5/512, then 5/640...

There was never a 5/1 back then....we were angry it was 384 as all the upstreams were saturated back then (4 upstream channels, just 1 downstream channel required back in those days for the most part....couple nodes near U of Windsor required a 2nd downstream....)...again my info's about 10 years old and all D1 related....

Pro I believe was 10/1 when it first started and oh boy was it pricey!....I believe at the time $70/month...back then that was a lot vs the $39.95 that "Standard" internet.

Lite was originally 128/128.......with 1gb down and 1gb up each MONTH....those were good times, it was $29.95/mth back when it first launched...no clue what it is today or what "Lite" constitutes...

Although back then I had Mountaincable "Lite" service and it was a 64/64 service for the same $29.95/month.....

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

1 edit

Gone

Premium Member

I believe Pro was 6/640 to start when Standard was 4/384. It most certainly didn't start at 10/1.

This was back when Bell bumped regular DSL to 3/384 from 1/160 and also released Ultra at 4/640. This was also during Bell's first attempt at UBB that they scuttled only to come back years later with a vengeance.

And yeah, I remember the Windsor issues. There was a reason Windsor had the first nodes that used 16 QAM on Cogeco's network. Back in those days everything was QPSK for return and most of the forward was 64 QAM.

Edit - my memory of Bell Ultra is probably wrong. For some reason I think Bell Ultra was released at 3/384 when regular was 1/160, then they were both upgraded to 3/384 and 4/640. Ultra was then upgraded to 5/640, then they started advertising sync rate of 5/800 as real rate even though it was no different than 4/640, and then eliminated Ultra all together and it all synced at 5/800.

tristen1230
Belleville, ON

tristen1230 to Cdnmoose

to Cdnmoose
By the way I doubt Cogeco will. Cogeco does not really have big competition between the other big internet companies. Cogeco has a large territories which they are making more on overages then they probably would with offering unlimited. All in all in my opinion no.

Last Parade
Port Colborne, ON

Last Parade to Cdnmoose

to Cdnmoose
I always thought pro started at 16Mb. I got it at an install in Crystal Beach in 2004.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by Last Parade:

I always thought pro started at 16Mb. I got it at an install in Crystal Beach in 2004.

Nope. Standard became 10 and Pro 16 at the same time, though I'm pretty sure it was later than 2004.

hm
@videotron.ca

hm to Cdnmoose

Anon

to Cdnmoose
said by Cdnmoose:

Anyone have any idea if Cogeco is going to offer unlimited internet like Rogers and Bell is doing right now?

I don't see why they would.

This is the same company who called their customers thieves for using bandwidth.
mentro4
Stoney Creek, ON

mentro4

I don't think anyone can say one way or another what cogeco is going to do, especially with the crtc's decisions this week. From what I've been reading the decisions that they are going to be making is going to affect the indies in a positive way which might help us who still have cogeco for internet.
Phorkster
Premium Member
Windsor, ON

Phorkster to mentro4

Premium Member

to mentro4
I can say, with certainty, that Cogeco will follow the money. Whether that is unlimited at a higher price or lower prices with higher cap penalties, who knows.