IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

[Connectivity] High Packet loss

I did a shaper probe and it said something about high packet loss. I have been having intermittent connectivity issues and I've had several truck rolls. I even experimented with rental modems to rule out my purchased modem.

This is what ShaperProbe said.

Connected to server 203.5.76.153.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 10480 Kbps.
Downstream: 58131 Kbps.

The measurement will last for about 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 10229 Kbps.

Downstream: Measurement aborted due to high packet loss rate.

For more information, visit: »www.cc.gatech.edu/~parth ··· iffprobe
logout

[Process completed]

At least I'm getting my provisioned speeds. But I want to be 100 percent sure that I have packet loss before I waste another tech visit to have him/her say the signal is fine, we'll refer to maintenance.

Modem is a Surfboard 6120. Signals are all good Power is +3 SNR is 37 on all four downstream channels and the upstream power on both upstream channels is 40. What puzzles me is I have uncorrected codewords in the 1500 range for a modem that was reset 24 hours ago. And the log shows a T3 error code.

Setup is two 3-way splitters with the phone modem (Arris TM722) and internet modem (SB6120) on the first splitter (both on the -7.5 leg) then a MoCA trap on the -3.5 leg going to the second splitter with the two HD boxes on the -7.5 leg and the host DVR on the -3.5 leg. I do have the AnyRoom DVR.

flwpwr
@comcast.net

flwpwr

Anon

»/pingtest
ExoticFish
join:2008-08-31
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
You can't go by ShaperProbe as far as "packet loss" goes.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

said by ExoticFish:

You can't go by ShaperProbe as far as "packet loss" goes.

Why not ? It's yet another indicator of a possible problem. FWIW, every time I've had real packet loss issues either to my WAN default gateway or on the routing path to the Shaperprobe servers I got that message.