Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Nick
Purveyor of common sense
Premium,VIP,MVM
join:2000-10-29
Smithtown, NY

Optimal hard drive configuration for my setup?

I'm trying to optimize my hard drive layout in my computer using an
Asus P8Z77-V LE (Manual)

and:
2 x 250GB Samsung 840 SSD drives
1 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda STBD3000100**
1 x Optical drive

**Note: I am going to be adding a 2nd 3TB Seagate drive for a RAID-1 configuration.

Here's what I intend to do:
One of the Samsung drives is already the OS/System drive with Win 7 Pro and I'd like to keep it that way. The second Samsung drive, I want to use as a caching/hybrid drive to the future 3TB array.

The problem I seem to be running into, is that this motherboard has 2 SATA controllers, Intel and Marvell but only Intel supports the caching feature. And only 3.5 (the .5 being eSATA) of the ports are 6GBps SATA ports.

So the question is, how do I connect up all my drives so that I can:

have a proper RAID-1 with HDDs
have a system SSD and use one other SSD for caching (I know the limitation is 64GB so the rest will actually be used for photos)
--
-Stupidity, like hydrogen, is one of the basic building blocks of the Universe.
-Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Misc

Nick
Purveyor of common sense
Premium,VIP,MVM
join:2000-10-29
Smithtown, NY

I guess I solved my own problem by fiddling around with different drive configurations.

The 3GB Sata ports and 6GB Sata ports are seen by the Intel RAID controller so I configured:

6GBSATA_01 - 250GB Samsung SSD (OS/System)
6GBSATA_02 - 250GB Samsung SSD (Cache/2nd drive)
6GBSATA_03 - empty
6GBSATA_04 (eSATA) - empty
3GBSATA_01 - 3TB Seagate Drive
3GBSATA_02 - empty (future 3TB Seagate Drive)
3GBSATA_03 - Optical Drive
3GBSATA_04
3GBSATA_05
3GBSATA_06

Once I wired this up, I was able to see the "Optimization" option and I was able to configure the cache for my HDD and have an open port for the 2nd HDD. I don't think I need 6GBPs for my HDDs since their performance is not as fast as SSDs.
--
-Stupidity, like hydrogen, is one of the basic building blocks of the Universe.
-Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Misc