how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

suzins

join:2013-02-16
Crisfield, MD

[CATV] Fuzzy lower channels

I have fuzzy lower channels in my den. Here's my setup for the house: Den (Sony) and Master Bedroom (Visio) have cable boxes. Three other rooms have direct wired to box via splitters for 16 channels with no box. Here's what I have done to date: I have checked and rechecked the connections. I have switched cable boxes and switched tvs. I have taken the DVD player out of the mix. I have removed the direct wired tvs/splitters from the mix. Here's the results:

Cable straight in to Sony gives great picture in den. That's the only clear lower channel picture success in the den.

Cable box from den taken to bedroom tv gives great picture so it's not the box. Cable box from bedroom tv (with great picture) moved to den gives fuzzy pic. Visio from bedroom to den gives fuzzy picture so it's not the Sony.

Anyone up for a mystery to solve?

Thanks!

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:14

Sounds like low signal or a poor connection in the den

suzins

Crisfield, MD

But does that make sense if directly connecting the cable to the tv produces an excellent picture? And I did previously get a new cable to connect from the box to the tv as well and that made no difference?

lineofsight

join:2003-01-03
East Saint Louis, IL
Reviews:
·PHONE POWER
reply to suzins

I can't tell what your setup is.
Please detail where the feed from outside goes, then what splitters or other devices it connects to from there.
It matters because each time you add a splitter, you will lose some signal level.
I can't even tell if you are talking about a fuzzy picture on analog tv or digital tv, or if you mean the signal from the cable box is fuzzy and the signal is a RF coax from the set top box to the tv.
Please be more specific.
Limit your example to 1. the way it works when it is all good. 2. the way it works when it is all fuzzy.

suzins

Crisfield, MD

Charter Digital Cable
From the outside feed the coax cable connects to the cable box, then the coax connects to the dvd player, then the coax connects to the tv. Channels 2 - 10 are fuzzy constantly UNLESS I connect the outside coax feed directly to the tv, bypassing the cable box. Channels 11 up are picture perfect all the time.

All channels, including 2 on up are perfect on the second tv/cable box/dvd combo connected the same way.

lineofsight

East Saint Louis, IL
Reviews:
·PHONE POWER

Why are you connecting to the TV using a coax cable? Is the TV not capable of Digital inputs? You mentioned that one of them is a Visio, that is probably a HD TV with several digital or HD inputs.
Does the Cable Box have any other way of connecting it's output to the TV such as HDMI, Component Video?
Otherwise, it seems your Charter Digital Cable signal is being converted to a standard channel 3 or 4 Analog signal.
Then, to make matters worse, you are piping that through a DVD player, which is going to repeat the analog channel 3 or 4 that came into it and finally send it to the TV.
The effect of passing the signal through these devices is the noise being introduced at each point of a RF amplifier, one in the cable box, another in the DVD player.
The only thing I can think of that would make this even worse would be if you are using RG-59 coaxial cable instead of RG-6.

suzins

Crisfield, MD

Yes our cable is not capable of HD, which I know...so it is being converted to analog, while the tvs are digitally capable, there is no HDMI connection on our cable boxes, coax is my only choice. However, as I mentioned in my first post, I have taken the DVD player out of the mix and it did not affect it whatsoever. The signal is the same with or without it. And as I mentioned the same exact setup is working perfectly in another room, however switching the different components does not affect the outcome which WHY this is such a mystery to me. I just drove 40 miles in the snow to go buy all new cables and a booster to no avail. I guess thankfully the tv is easy enough to move out... I am apparently relegated to disconnecting the coax from the cable box and using it directly into the tv to watch lower channels. Otherwise I will surely slowly go mad. Thanks anyhow.

lineofsight

East Saint Louis, IL
Reviews:
·PHONE POWER

Let me get this straight - Charter is renting you a set top box that allows the reception of digital channels, and the only way to watch those channels is with an analog tv connection?
What is the make and model of the set top box?
It sounds like it's time for a new, updated cable set top box that has either HDMI, Component video, or both.

bobjohnson
Premium
join:2007-02-03
Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·T-Mobile US
·Sprint Mobile Br..
reply to lineofsight

said by lineofsight:

Then, to make matters worse, you are piping that through a DVD player, which is going to repeat the analog channel 3 or 4 that came into it and finally send it to the TV.

This is most likely the OP's problem...

suzins

Crisfield, MD
reply to lineofsight

No, you don't understand, our cheap cable company won't offer HD in our area!! And no amount of bickering begging and wringing of hands will convince the stupid mayor and council to break the contract with them and let us get something better in our little town!

lineofsight

East Saint Louis, IL

Dude, time for Dish Network.

mmainprize

join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI
reply to suzins

If the Lower channels are bad but the higher channels are OK then you have a problem with the cables at you location. Call out the cable tech to fix it, you are most likely paying for wire maintenance anyways.