MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka to Bob4

MVM

to Bob4

Re: Best Tires On Back Axle

said by Bob4:

So if I have 8/32" on the front and 6/32" on the back, my car turns into a death trap?

That is a pretty disingenuous reply.

I didn't say that. Not even close.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4

said by Cho Baka:

said by Bob4:

So if I have 8/32" on the front and 6/32" on the back, my car turns into a death trap?

That is a pretty disingenuous reply.

I didn't say that. Not even close.

OK, but it's a serious question: At what point does the difference in tread depth become a problem?

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka

MVM

said by Bob4:

OK, but it's a serious question: At what point does the difference in tread depth become a problem?

I personally don't see an issue with the scenario you described. A little common sense is needed.

New tires on the front, and 5 year old tires with 4/32" on the rear, I would be more concerned.
We have arrived at this situation because the lawyers will take advantage of any opportunity to make a buck, and people are always looking for a reason why an accident wasn't their fault.

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium Member
join:2004-04-13
Canada

BonezX to Bob4

Premium Member

to Bob4
said by Bob4:

not at all when they are both bald as hell.

basic thing, if the conditions are beyond what the tire can support at the tread level it is at you will have issues, if not, the difference doesn't really matter too much, IE: don't try to out drive the tires.

easiest is just don't drive to the limit of the best tire. if you know the rear ones are bad figure out where their limit is, and drive accordingly.

but try telling your average all season awd SUV driver to drive according to the conditions, you get some amusing replies.

:edit: yea completely forgot the lawyer thing, that's going to be an issue no matter how big/small, front/back the difference is.