Jason
Stowage Class Traveler
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-24
38.2967 Lat
kudos:3

Hard drive click-of-death, VIP2250

Hello!

Okay, so I've been nursing my VIP2250 for a while now, Its been freezing, and locking up during playback of a recorded program, with a chirping sound from the HD.. Reboot, and all is well for like a week.

Well, its been happening more and more often, finally this morning I rebooted the VIP2250, after it died while playing a recorded Moonshiners, and I heard the infamous hardrive "click of death".. The system booted to a black screen with a red X in the middle.

Eeeek

So, I pulled the power, let it sit for a min, then fired it back up, and all seems to be well for now.

So.. Heres my question:

The Hard Drive; Is this equipment owned, or leased by me, the customer? If its leased, how would I go abouts getting a replacement / repair, and if its owned, is it possibe to replace the hard drive? I'd assume I'd have to image a new HD with some kind of goofy FS format, or otherwise "Bless" it to be recognized by the DVR..

FWIW, we've had this VIP2550 for a few years, and its worked beautifully, only the last couple months has it started to go downhill..

Any help is most appreciated.. Thank You!!
--
When cryptography is outlawed, bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir cevinpl.

Matt7

join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Insight Communic..

ATT owns the receivers.. You would need to call into Tech support to schedule a replacement ... In theory you could swap the hard drive yourself but why spend money on buying AT&T a hard drive for their receiver? easier just to have them replace the receiver since your going to loose any stored content anyways.

Rangersfan

@sbcglobal.net
reply to Jason

The DVR is the property of AT&T U-verse. It is not owned by the customer. The DVR is included at no additional charge in the U-Family and the U200 and above packages.

The Motorola VIP 2250 has only been available to customers since 2011. If you are having issues with your DVR, call U-verse Technical Support at 800-288-2020.

Jason
Stowage Class Traveler
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-24
38.2967 Lat
kudos:3
reply to Jason

Okay.. Good to know.

I'll contact AT&T Monday.

Thank you Matt7 See Profile and Rangersfan!
--
When cryptography is outlawed, bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir cevinpl.

Rangersfan

@sbcglobal.net

U-verse Technical Support is available 24/7 so you can call them anytime.

Tech007
Premium
join:2013-01-25
Belleville, IL
reply to Jason

The sooner you call, the sooner they can drop ship you a new one or send a tech out. We work 7 days a week so if they send a tech out could have a new one tomorrow..