spc
Search similar:

uniqs
achalupka
join:2003-09-22
Ottawa, ON

achalupka

Ottawa: network upgrades in Westboro?

Curious if anyone knows what kind of work is going on in the Westboro / McKellar Park area of Ottawa? Everyday on the drive from my house through the neighbourhood to the 417, I pass an army of Bell trucks scattered around the various side streets. I assume this is some kind of network upgrade (FTTN?).
kovy7
join:2009-03-26

kovy7

said by achalupka:

Curious if anyone knows what kind of work is going on in the Westboro / McKellar Park area of Ottawa? Everyday on the drive from my house through the neighbourhood to the 417, I pass an army of Bell trucks scattered around the various side streets. I assume this is some kind of network upgrade (FTTN?).

Best way to find out would be to ask them... Could be FTTH, or anything else.
taraf
join:2011-05-07
Ottawa, ON

taraf to achalupka

to achalupka
Most of Westboro already has FTTN... I'm on a 7330 less than 50m from the node... poles in the back yard, straight shot 4 houses down is the Bell box with the DSLAM in it.

Assuming it is a network upgrade you're seeing, it's probably making the area ready for FibeTV. There's already FibeTV in parts of Ottawa, and I understand that there's work they need to do to clean up the neighbourhood before they can sell you the service.

Have you considered asking one of the techs what they're doing?
taraf

taraf

Ok... they're grooming for IPTV. I had a tech out today for intermittent sync, and he confirmed that the reason I'm having intermittent sync is because a tech was out on a pole replacing a terminal up the street, getting the area ready for IPTV. Apparently he's planning on replacing my own terminal later this week.
SLAMtech
join:2009-12-03

SLAMtech to achalupka

to achalupka
Yea sounds definitely like a grooming project. When I worked in Montreal for a bit there were like 20 Bell vehicles going from street to street while the cable repair techs posted there tents with heaters around the cross box to verify the lines.

The techs doing the grooming now are probably a lot better now but a few times I had to climb the pole for them and do there job while on a repair because they were cutting to clear the wrong way lol. Hopefully those headaches are gone.