uniqs
share rss forum feed

W411
Premium
join:2009-10-07
Windsor, ON
kudos:1

[WIN7] Windows 7 "cannot open volume for direct access &quo

I have a clean install of Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit on an Acer 5733 and right from the 2nd full boot I have had the error message:

"one of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. you may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended that you continue.
windows will now check the disk.
cannot open volume for direct access.
autochk cannot run due to an error caused by a recently installed software package.
use the system restore feature from the control panel to restore the system to a point prior to the recent software package installation."

At the point of this error the only software installation that had occured was the OS. I installed all the Windows updates thinking a MS patch might fix the issue.

The drive was manufactured in January 2013 and I ran a check on the SMART attributes using Acronis on the local machine which showed no issues.

I pulled the drive and ran chkdsk on it in a sata dock on another system, no errors were found.

I put the drive back in the local machine and ran sfc /scannow via an elevated command prompt, which found no issues.

I ran chkdsk c: from an elevated command prompt and no problems were found.

There are also dozens of errors every hour in the system log:

"the file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. please run the chkdsk utility on the volume new volume"

I ran chkdsk c: /f from an elevated command prompt to schedule the check and rebooted. On reboot chkdsk ran and completed with no errors and rebooted. Upon reboot I ended up back at the first error message, and still have the same errors showing up in the system log.

bevills1

join:2006-05-29

Re: [WIN7] Windows 7 "cannot open volume for direct access

Have you tried to use the system restore feature from the control panel to restore the system to a point prior to the recent software package installation? Maybe 1 of the updates caused the problem.