how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

RDGB36

join:2005-11-06
Grand Bay, AL

[AL] How to find out what happened to WEIQ HD 42-1

Earlier this month my old CRT TV went bad, so I bought my first digital TV, and gave the DTA back to Mediacom.

I have the family package, so the initial scan brought in the ordinary channels, plus the digital ready local HD channels, so there were two of the locals, the SD and the HD.

To not have duplicates, I removed the SDs and left the HDs. E.g., the Alabama PBS station channel 42 is SD 1-108 and the HD is 42-1, as confirmed in the lineup at »www.mediacomtoday-lineup.com/lin···_ba.aspx

But earlier this week the HD 42-1 disappeared, leaving only the SD 1-108, which I had to re-enable.

Being new to all this keeping up with the QAM numbers, my question is how to find out what happened to 42-1? Is it an APTV or Mediacom problem?

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:117
I do show you should still be receiving that channel. It was not dropped on our end or moved to a different number. Have you tried scanning the channels again to see if it will reappear?

RDGB36

Grand Bay, AL
Shouldn't entering 42-1 on the keypad get it, if it is there?

If I re-scan, then I have to do the removing of all the unwanted channels all over again.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
Unfortunately if a channel goes missing on the QAM tuners the first step would be a channel scan.

RDGB36

Grand Bay, AL
A re-scan still didn't get 42-1 back.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
Next thing we can try is disconnecting the coax line and then reconnecting. That can solve issues such as this.

RDGB36

Grand Bay, AL
The coax was already disconnected today as I rearranged the stand the TV is on.

But my question is if there even is an issue.
Maybe APTV is having trouble with their HD signal. (Technical? Ran out of money to pay for it?)
If there is nothing there, Mediacom can't send it to my TV.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
That is very true. Like I said earlier, I don't see that we changed/removed the channel at all. If you are able to contact them maybe they can shed some light on that situation.

RDGB36

Grand Bay, AL
reply to RDGB36
APT's reply to my e-mail inquiry:

"Cable providers throughout the state are required by law to carry the main APT channel. If you're not receiving it for some reason, Mediacom should be able to provide an explanation as to why they're experiencing difficulties. If the channel hasn't been restored as of yet, please let me know."

Even though my e-mail was about the HD channel 42-1, they may have misinterpreted it, or answered too quickly. My reply will state that I am getting the SD channel, but not the HD.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
Sounds good, keep me updated!

RDGB36

Grand Bay, AL
reply to RDGB36
Yesterday, Wed 3-6, at 5pm, I did a quick check for 42-1 before the 5pm news, and it wasn't there.

Later in the evening, around 9pm, after I turned the computer off, and joined my wife at the TV, in the course of channel flipping, 42-1 was there.
An APTV membership drive was being shown.

Today, Thu 3-7, at 4:30pm a quick check shows 42-1 still there.

I haven't had a further response from APTV.org yet.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
Let us know here of any info you get.

RDGB36

Grand Bay, AL
reply to RDGB36
Here is the reply from APTV, still not quite understanding that I know the difference between SD on 1-108 vs. HD on 42-1:
"I've consulted with engineering, and it's definitely a matter for your cable provider. It sounds like they have their feeds mixed up. They'll need to rescan from their head-end receive point. APT has no way to control that. I suggest calling them to let them know that you're getting SD channel 42 where you should be receiving HD. We haven't heard from other viewers reporting this, but I'm a bit surprised that they (Mediacom) haven't realized what's happening. In addition, APT has no way to block a feed from anyone - Mediacom receives the same APT signal as everyone else, and we have no way to switch their SD and HD receivers.

"If the Meidacom representative that you speak to will forward your message on to the technical department, I feel certain that they will attend to this matter. If that doesn't happen, please let us know. It may become necessary for someone here to try to connect with them (Mediacom), but we always want to allow the cable companies to handle these kind of matters directly with their customers."
I am still receiving 42-1, but am mystified as to why it disappeared for several weeks.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
reply to RDGB36
Glad to hear it is back up and running. I wish I had more information to share about this. If you run into any other issues, please let me know and I will get some more of the local technical staff involved.

RDGB36

Grand Bay, AL
reply to RDGB36
Today we came a little after 5pm from a walk, and the wind made me curious about the weather forecast. The network news channels still had sports, and the 5.2 weather offshoot channel worked, but TWC on QAM 1-230 wasn't in the channel listings any more. Keying 1-230 caused the TV to jump to 1-241, the next channel up.

"My" TV, the 13" with the DTA, gets TWC on 32, so the signal is getting through.

Would a problem with the TV cause this? Or some signal strength issue that makes the TV think the channel is no longer there?

(When I first got the TV I pulled the listings into a spreadsheet to print out my own channel guide, and to show where a HD is selected in place of the SD, to avoid duplicates, so I have a record of what channels were pulled in with the initial scan.)

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
I am not showing TWC has changed, and still should be found on 1-230. I am showing the broadcast feed is working as it should. Can you try doing a channel scan and let me know what happens?

RDGB36

Grand Bay, AL
reply to RDGB36
The same thing happened again.
I did not do a scan, but after turning the computer off last night and joining my wife at the HDTV, I noticed that TWC on 1-230 was back in the channels.
And it is still there now.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
That is good news that the channel is back. Please keep me updated if this goes away again.