spc
Search similar:

uniqs
tulsaweather
join:2013-02-16
Tulsa, OK

tulsaweather

[OK] Cox security router issue

I have a Cisco RVS4000 router that I'm using as a firewall and doing some port forwarding to allow for outside users (grandmothers) to see IP cameras on my nursery.

I have a Cisco 2960 managed switch that all my networking products (cameras, PCs, wireless access points) plug into.

Cox Security installed this morning. They added a Netgear router to communicate (Z wave?) with the various sensors they put in place, glass breakage, fire/heat, thermostat.

Since there is only one port on the back of the modem, the system was installed by directly connecting the netgear router to the modem, then patching from the netgear router to my RVS4000. This works great, except it appears the netgear router doesn't port forward, so my IP cameras are DOA from the outside, and the grandmothers are agitated at this turn of events.

When I hang the netgear router off the 2960, my home security portal seems to have trouble getting status updates and communicating with the sensors, but the RVS4000 is the main router, and it happily allows the port forwarding, since the netgear is being bypassed.

I'd like to have everything work, ideally, hanging the netgear router off the 2960. Any ideas are greatly appreciated...

CoxTech1
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1

The only thing that comes to mind is maybe there's a double-NAT problem. You could try connecting the Netgear via the LAN switch ports to your Catalyst and be sure DHCP server is disabled in the Netgear so you don't have a rouge DHCP server on your LAN.
tulsaweather
Tulsa, OK

tulsaweather

It appears the netgear default password has been changed and I don't have the new one. It is not the one printed on the router label.

CoxTech1
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1

One other option you could try is connecting from the LAN switch ports on the RVS4000 to the WAN on the Netgear. This would require no reconfiguration of the Netgear but you might still have the double-NAT problem. Something else that may or may not be an issue as I'm not sure what protocol the Netgear is using for home security communications could be a known FTP bug with the RVS4000. Basicallly FTP communication via the RVS4000 will timeout and fail to complete if the session lasts longer than somewhere in the range of 20 min.
CoxTech1

CoxTech1 to tulsaweather

to tulsaweather
Something else I just though of to is the Netgear router may need to be accessible from the WAN so you might have to track down the IP address the Netgear obtains from your network and DMZ it.
VentShop
join:2009-08-21
Oklahoma City, OK
ARRIS CM8200
(Software) OPNsense
Netgear R8000

VentShop to tulsaweather

to tulsaweather
If you have one of the 15mb tier packages or higher you should be able to allocate at least three computers. Simple solution put a switch between your gear and the cable modem and then after getting it online go to the cox website and provision another computer. Then plug the router cox sent for your home security setup in and let them each have their own IP address.

Should solve all problems that you have going on from as far as I can tell.
m8trix
join:2003-12-24
Chandler, AZ

m8trix to tulsaweather

to tulsaweather
set the touch screen to DMZ it should pass the ports
tulsaweather
Tulsa, OK

tulsaweather

Awesome help. I DMZ'd the netgear after plugging into the RVS4000 and it worked like a charm.

Thanks so much for sharing your wisdom.