how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

CptWiggles

join:2013-02-16
West Hartford, CT

[Connectivity] Internet dropping

For the past few weeks I've been having some intermittent connection drop outs. Basically I have been constantly pinging google and every few hours for about 10 minutes or so I will keep getting request timed out every few seconds. I have two computers that I have been testing this on, both wired. I have a Comcast Triple play with pretty high speeds. The modem that Comcast has provided me with is a TG862G. One of the wired computers are hooked directly into the modem, the other is also completely wired and goes through a DGL-4500. Nothing is plugged into the WAN port so it is just being used as a switch and for wifi. When connection begins to drop phone and cable still seem to work fine, but both wired computers begin to drop at the same time and I can still hit the DGL-4500 and modem through the LAN without any issue. This leads me to believe the issue doesn't lie within the house.

I have had 2 Comcast technicians out to the house so far. The first claimed that the signal was too low at the box outside of the house and he would request a line crew. I was told they had checked and the signal is fine or now fine, I don't know if they did anything. the second technician came out to the house after the supposed line crew came and swapped out the modem and said the signal seems perfect and passed every test. I am still experiencing the issue and if it isn't the lines outside I have no idea what the issue could be. Maybe someone can help me out.

Thanks in advance.

Expand your moderator at work

CptWiggles

West Hartford, CT
reply to CptWiggles

Re: [Connectivity] Internet dropping

Click for full size

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA

What are your signal levels ?

CptWiggles

West Hartford, CT

Click for full size
Here are the signal levels.

CptWiggles

West Hartford, CT
reply to Anon

CptWiggles

West Hartford, CT
reply to Anon

»oi45.tinypic.com/ok5s4.jpg

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA

Is your upstream signals always stable that you can see ?

CptWiggles

West Hartford, CT
reply to CptWiggles

Edit: Sorry for the extra posts, I was trying to figure out how to post the screen shots.

CptWiggles

West Hartford, CT
reply to ExoticFish

I haven't looked at signals while the drops were occurring yet. I will do so next time though.

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA

Okay, that would be very helpful. If the signals are going up to around 50+ that could be when the connection is actually dropping.

CptWiggles

West Hartford, CT

Ok, it is actually occurring right now again and I am watching the signal levels and there is absolutely 0 change in signal.

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA

Are the drops all day or do they seem to be between specific time ?
--
»www.VAJeeps.com
»www.ChinchillasForum.com

CptWiggles

West Hartford, CT

1 edit

I don't think there's much of a pattern, but I'll try to keep a log.

Edit: but they do occur throughout the day and night.

CptWiggles

West Hartford, CT

So, seems like no real pattern, though it seems like I went most of the day today without any drops so far with the exception of two separate but more minor instances. If anyone has any ideas though I'd love to hear em.

CptWiggles

West Hartford, CT

So it seems like the issue is occur much more often in the evening, around 5pm until unknown, which doesn't mean it doesn't happen during the day though. Also only very few of the occurances actually show up in PingPlotter meaning the same situation occurs as in the previous pictures of cmd line where I will get request timed out every few seconds for quite a while.

The issue is currently occurring and seems to have been for longer than normal at the moment.

CptWiggles

West Hartford, CT

Click for full size

CptWiggles

West Hartford, CT

Well I didn't really get much help, but just to give an update, I couldn't think of anything else that may have been causing my issue after 5 visits from Comcast. So I decided to replace the initial splitter that takes the line that comes into the house and splits it to internet and tv. So far it seems that doing this fixed the issue.