Lagz
Premium
join:2000-09-03
The Rock

1 edit
reply to HelpPlz

Re: Youtube sucks for me

Pretty much sucks in my area too.

ATT uverse 12/2 with a static IP package.
Windows 7 64 ultimate...
Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and 12.10

Disabled ipv6 and still sucks .. will put that list in my hosts file and see if this clears up.

--
When somebody tells you nothing is impossible, ask him to dribble a football.

Dennis
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL
kudos:5

said by Lagz:

Pretty much sucks in my area too.

ATT uverse 12/3 with a static IP package.
Windows 7 64 ultimate...
Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and 12.10

Disabled ipv6 and still sucks .. will put that list in my hosts file and see if this clears up.

Whoa....3mb? What does a speed test look like to you? I find it odd that you have 12mb package and youtube only reports under 3mb.
--
My Blog. Because I desperately need the acknowledgement of others.

The Judd Family site!

Lagz
Premium
The Rock

3 edits

Typo on the first post. I have 12/2. You can see from my test history even back in june of last year I have yet to break 6000Kbps here at DSLR,

even though I am suppose to have 12/2. Even my upload is lacking, although that's acceptable.

At speedtest.net I get...

The funny thing is that isn't even my IP address shown. My IP Addresses in my block all start with 108.x.x.x ...
I blocked those servers and still having issues with youtube.

edit: the laptop that took that speed test at speedtest.net was hooked directly to my 2wire modem. That laptop is also what took the 2 most recent speed tests here at DSLR. All my other computers have the correct addresses. They are all attached to separate router/switches configured with my IP addresses.
--

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
reply to HelpPlz

it cleared up mine, I listed mine in the hotbrick's URL filter. Quick downloads so far right from youtube. Haven't tested the nintendo wii yet, but if it works, I am leaving it.

Lagz
Premium
The Rock
reply to HelpPlz

I have included those addresses in my hosts.
Trying to watch this at 720p is like pulling hair

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9xTloaoLFo

--

doubleohwhat

join:2008-10-25
Birmingham, AL
reply to David

said by David:

it cleared up mine, I listed mine in the hotbrick's URL filter. Quick downloads so far right from youtube.

Same here. Adding those servers to my hosts file pretty much solved my youtube issues.

StillLearn
Premium
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL
reply to Lagz

said by Lagz:

Typo on the first post. I have 12/2.

12/1.5 would be a more common plan.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
Granite City, IL
reply to Lagz

Try blocking the following IP: 173.194.55.38

I believe that's the IP that might be giving you the trouble. It is not giving me any trouble and the video plays fine.

Lagz
Premium
The Rock

It plays fine at 720p?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Lagz

Reading your graph:

• There is no result for your connection (would be black).

• Your ISP connection (yellow line) will not factor out slower, ADSL connections, which will weigh against your result.

Referring back to my graph, it is significant to note that my connection speed, as measured at YouTube, is 2x my ISP average. My ISP average is weighted down by the connections which are resold ILEC connections (ADSL in the case of my ISP), while my connection is pure CLEC hardware (ADSL2+).

YouTube does not differentiate between U-verse and non-U-verse; "AT&T is AT&T". Pretty much makes the graph useless for looking at class problems within an ISP with different connection types, be it resold ILEC service (ADSL-only for Sonic.net because AT&T does not offer U-verse as a wholesale service) versus pure CLEC (ADSL2+ for Sonic.net "Fusion"), or ADSL with ATM vs IPDSL.

And watch more YouTube; a lot more. You don't have enough data points on your connection to display your performance. Hmm. Even signed out, I still show my connection performance, so maybe you need to have an account, and be signed in to accumulate data. Makes their graph even more useless.

I should also point out that the city graph averages the regional ISPs together, so AT&T weighs my city average down from where it would be if AT&T were broken out from the average.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
Granite City, IL

3 edits
reply to HelpPlz

duplicate post, plz delete me.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
Granite City, IL
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to Lagz

Replayed at the 720p (wired connection) didn't try wireless. Had plenty of buffer too. I could have kept on going.

Scratch that, didn't see the setting. I must have done the default of 360p. It does buffer for me at 720p and 480 it did play for quite a bit before hitting the buffer. This might be because I don't have full HD capability (speed test is only 5.1/630 realtime so that could explain quite a bit, for VuDu I don't get HD either). On the "auto" setting which was 360p it kept up good. I don't have an HDtv in my house so just getting youtube to play on standard at all has been a blessing. The Nintendo Wii only Does SD, I believe the WiiU does HD, but I don't have one so I can't confirm/deny that.

Also note: I do not have Uverse internet, I have an AT&T DSL Elite (legacy DSL) line as Wan1. I also have a charter cable line as Wan2/backup. Both Wan1 and Wan2 have been experiencing this problem for quite a while off and on.
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!

Lagz
Premium
The Rock
reply to NormanS

said by NormanS:

And watch more YouTube; a lot more. You don't have enough data points on your connection to display your performance. Hmm. Even signed out, I still show my connection performance, so maybe you need to have an account, and be signed in to accumulate data. Makes their graph even more useless.

I have an account. Might be some script that NoScript is blocking, even though I have all visible scripts enabled at youtube.
--

CarbonCopy

join:2003-01-29
Fresno, CA
reply to cob_

Thanks for the tip about blocking youtube servers. Blocking this one worked for me.
127.0.0.1 r1---sn-vgqelnez.c.youtube.com

StillLearn
Premium
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL

Note there are a lot of people who suggest using 0.0.0.0 in the hosts file instead of 127.0.0.1. Some say there is no advantage to 0.0.0.0, but I have not seen anybody say that 0.0.0.0 has a disadvantage.

cob_
1310nm Of Goodness
Premium
join:2003-07-08
Tulsa, OK
reply to HelpPlz

Just wanted to add to this, the list of hosts I provided for blocking is probably nowhere near complete. My solution currently is to leave my hosts file pulled up on my desktop and add lines to it each time I encounter a video I can't stream.

We really need AT&T and Google to investigate this issue in tandem.

Dennis
Premium,Mod
Algonquin, IL

1 edit
reply to Lagz

Click for full size
youtube my_speed
said by Lagz:

I have an account. Might be some script that NoScript is blocking, even though I have all visible scripts enabled at youtube.

I also use noscript and my youtube graph shows my speeds around 4mb (had 3mb upgraded to 6mb for this testing about a week ago).

That monster truck video you posted above looks just fine to me at 720p right now.

Update: I seem to be streaming from 173.194.55.38

--

The Judd Family site!

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:6
reply to HelpPlz

Videos are loading slow again tonight for me on Comcast. I've either gotten full PB speeds of 25 Mbps or only 23 kbps-5 Mbps.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
Granite City, IL
reply to HelpPlz

since I know you are on comcast what video is giving you the problem? Link?

I am not sure how to get the URL's like someone has above, but I can get the IP. I am guessing it's a filter for wireshark.

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Frontier Communi..
·AT&T U-Verse

1 edit

said by David:

since I know you are on comcast what video is giving you the problem? Link?

I am not sure how to get the URL's like someone has above, but I can get the IP. I am guessing it's a filter for wireshark.

Oh, it's not a specific video. I can load it up once and I get the full 25 Mbps during PB and then I could load it again and only get 1-4 Mbps or so.

Had similar issues when I had U-verse internet a couple months back. On 3 Mbps/1 up Pro I sometimes had days where I could not even stream 240p as it would constantly buffer. It happened most of the time at night for me on both this and U-verse. During the day I could stream 720p on Youtube without a problem on my 3/1 connection.

Maybe Youtube is just really congested?

securityguy

join:2012-08-14
Birmingham, AL
reply to Lagz

said by Lagz:

I have included those addresses in my hosts.
Trying to watch this at 720p is like pulling hair

Wow. Glad I'm leaning towards NOT upgrading from AT&T DSL to U-verse.

That video plays fine at 720p on my lowly 6mbps down, .5mbps up DSL connection.

Lagz
Premium
The Rock
reply to HelpPlz

It seems major ISP's are throttling users!

»Why Is Everyone Having YouTube Streaming Issues?

»dd.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/1···imit=500

»Youtube is slow

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB8UADuVM5A

--

Dennis
Premium,Mod
Algonquin, IL

said by Lagz:

I can't speak for any other ISP's but AT&T is not throttling youtube at all. I can't even recreate the problem with my home Uverse line so I'd really appreciate not being accused of that.
--

The Judd Family site!

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Lagz

said by Lagz:

So why does it affect some users, but not others, on the same major ISPs?

And why, among those affected, is it only YouTube, but not Hulu, or Netflix, or others?

If it was the ISPs, it would affect all users. And if the ISP rationale is to throttle streaming content, it would be applied to all streaming services.
--
Norman

Lagz
Premium
The Rock

said by NormanS:

That's the million dollar question. Maybe in some markets they have way oversold from what they can deliver?

said by NormanS:

And why, among those affected, is it only YouTube, but not Hulu, or Netflix, or others?

Youtube is by far and above the most visited site with an astounding amount of traffic. Only Google and Facebook beat youtube in visits and traffic. Netflix nor Hulu are even ranked on anything that I can find.

said by NormanS:

If it was the ISPs, it would affect all users. And if the ISP rationale is to throttle streaming content, it would be applied to all streaming services.

Not necessarily. It would apply to a site or sites that generate the most traffic in markets or areas that have been severely oversold.
--

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

A "severely oversold" network would display general congestion symptoms across the board, not just on one streaming network. It would show problems within the provider transit network, not just on the edge, where peering occurs, or beyond, in the CDN transit network.

OTOH, inadequate load balancing at the CDN would easily account for these problems; but be difficult to address as users tweak their hosts files, and such, causing over-correction headaches for the network engineers.

Blame the users? In this case, youbetcha!
--
Norman

Dennis
Premium,Mod
Algonquin, IL
reply to Lagz

said by Lagz:

said by NormanS:

That's the million dollar question. Maybe in some markets they have way oversold from what they can deliver?

said by NormanS:

Youtube is by far and above the most visited site with an astounding amount of traffic. Only Google and Facebook beat youtube in visits and traffic. Netflix nor Hulu are even ranked on anything that I can find.

said by NormanS:

Not necessarily. It would apply to a site or sites that generate the most traffic in markets or areas that have been severely oversold.

No. That's not how it works. If was a bandwidth saturation or a bottleneck it would impact all services in that market. Granted it would show up on streaming services (video, VoIP, gaming, bit torrent ) but it would show across them all. You wouldn't be able to do a speed test and get 18mb and then turn around and be able to not watch a video at 480p. The internet does not work that way. If it impacted youtube it would impact Hulu unless the issue was much closer to the server than AT&T (ie the CDN servers they use).
--

The Judd Family site!

DNSguy

join:2006-04-09
Saint Charles, MO
kudos:3
reply to Lagz

said by Lagz:

said by NormanS:

Really? You could not find a ranking for Netflix?

Netflix gobbles a third of peak Internet traffic in North America

"Audio and video streaming account for 65% of all downstream traffic from 9pm-12am and half of that is Netflix traffic [on North America fixed networks]."

Slowin225

@sbcglobal.net
reply to HelpPlz

This isn't a U-verse issue-- this is a google YouTube mirror issue. If you can go into your firewall and block the following outbound server IP ranges, all your YouTube buffering should disappear:

BLOCK outbound connections to:
206.111.0.0/16
173.194.54.0/24
173.194.55.0/24

skj
Welcome to the far side of reality
Premium,Mod
join:2002-04-04
Gone South
kudos:1
reply to HelpPlz

Take a look here for our front page article on the issue:

»Why Is Everyone Having YouTube Streaming Issues?
--

Reality is the leading cause of stress among those who are in touch with it.--Jane Wagner