Search similar:

uniqs

AdamB0
join:2001-01-07
Columbus, OH

AdamB0 to HelpPlz

to HelpPlz

Re: Youtube sucks for me

It's prime time and AT&T is just laughing at my feeble attempts to watch a video on YouTube. "Oh you want to watch that video, here have some buffer! Just kidding"

Dennis
Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL

Dennis

Mod

said by AdamB0:

It's prime time and AT&T is just laughing at my feeble attempts to watch a video on YouTube. "Oh you want to watch that video, here have some buffer! Just kidding"

Here is what I'm trying to figure out. If it's a bottle neck issue with AT&T then why isn't any other service impacted? I'm watching 1080p videos via wireless with no issues right now.

AdamB0
Columbus, OH

AdamB0

said by Dennis:

said by AdamB0:

Here is what I'm trying to figure out. If it's a bottle neck issue with AT&T then why isn't any other service impacted? I'm watching 1080p videos via wireless with no issues right now.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if it's because I cancelled Uverse cable last year and won't respond to the weekly e-mail and letter from AT&T.
davidmi58
join:2001-04-22
Chicago, IL

davidmi58 to Dennis

to Dennis
Tracing route to youtube-ui.l.google.com [74.125.227.142]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms home [192.168.1.254]
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 * * 24 ms 71.145.65.44
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 21 ms 23 ms 23 ms 12.83.43.17
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 21 ms 21 ms 21 ms 209.85.254.120
10 22 ms 21 ms 28 ms 72.14.237.133
11 46 ms 45 ms 45 ms 72.14.239.137
12 47 ms 47 ms 50 ms 209.85.243.179
13 43 ms 42 ms 52 ms 72.14.237.220
14 44 ms 43 ms 43 ms 216.239.43.187
15 45 ms 46 ms 46 ms dfw06s17-in-f14.1e100.net [74.125.227.142]

Trace complete.
From Chicago. Youtube has been dead to me for at least 4-5 days. Any video...doesn't matter.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to AdamB0

MVM

to AdamB0
said by AdamB0:

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if it's because I cancelled Uverse cable last year and won't respond to the weekly e-mail and letter from AT&T.

You are not alone:

Comcast.
Cox.
Charter.
Mediacom.
CenturyLink.
Frontier Communications.

Either all these ISPs are in collusion against Google, or there are issues with Google transit/peering.

Dennis
Mod
Algonquin, IL

Dennis

Mod

said by NormanS:

Either all these ISPs are in collusion against Google, or there are issues with Google transit/peering.

Don't forget load balancers. The only other time I've seen this before was with misconfigured load balancer....of course I don't have enough wireshark packet captures to prove it.

TestBoy
Premium Member
join:2009-10-13
Irmo, SC

TestBoy to HelpPlz

Premium Member

to HelpPlz
It's gotten especially bad this evening.
It is now past 11PM and I am starting to get page timeouts off and on and virtually no videos load.
sbcadguy
join:2009-12-06
Colton, CA

sbcadguy to HelpPlz

to HelpPlz
I'm having issues as well. U-Verse user in So Cal. This appears to be a widespread issue across different providers. There are a few posts on the Google help forum for YouTube.

»productforums.google.com ··· al-issue

My guess is it's something going on between the ISPs and Google/YouTube. Just going to take some time to find it.

Hurry up and wait. Just pause the video you want to watch and go do something else for a bit. Not much any of us can do.

Forosnai
join:2011-09-30

Forosnai to HelpPlz

to HelpPlz
No amount of investigation is going to help random YouTube videos from buffering or being non playable. It's not the isp's fault, it's not Google's fault. It's just a bad route and or congestion to said particular video, and is quite inherent of the nature of the YouTube service. YouTube isn't Netflix.
The only way to troubleshoot it is to toggle a proxy or use any number of options to vary the route when you encounter problematic videos. If you work that into your normal YouTube routine you will have a lot more time to invest into working on problems that can actually be solved.

TestBoy
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

TestBoy

Premium Member

said by Forosnai:

No amount of investigation is going to help random YouTube videos from buffering or being non playable. It's not the isp's fault, it's not Google's fault. It's just a bad route and or congestion to said particular video, and is quite inherent of the nature of the YouTube service. YouTube isn't Netflix.
The only way to troubleshoot it is to toggle a proxy or use any number of options to vary the route when you encounter problematic videos. If you work that into your normal YouTube routine you will have a lot more time to invest into working on problems that can actually be solved.

That would be fine if ANY videos played.
I have been trying random videos for the last 2 hours and I can't get any video to play at all.

The only videos that play without issue are the ads that come before the actual video.
I can't say I am surprised that the ads work and not the videos.

The same videos play fine if I use my phone for access but I only have a certain amount of data available on my phone...

AdamB0
Columbus, OH

AdamB0 to NormanS

to NormanS
All those threads are old. This issue has only occurred in the last few days since the 14/15th. It IS an AT&T problem. I have no problem accessing the videos over my VPN or through my Verizon phone.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

1 edit

NormanS

MVM

said by AdamB0:

All those threads are old. This issue has only occurred in the last few days since the 14/15th. It IS an AT&T problem. I have no problem accessing the videos over my VPN or through my Verizon phone.

Okay, sorry about that. I just figured seeing that the problem has occurred with other ISPs might result in looking in a new direction.

skj
Welcome to the far side of reality
Mod
join:2002-04-04
Gone South

skj

Mod

(topic move) Youtube sucks for me

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 5 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »Youtube sucks for me
Paralel
join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US

Paralel to HelpPlz

to HelpPlz

One thing a few of those have in common seems to be routing issues through 72.14.23*.* & 12.122.1*.*

I don't really see any consistency in the rest of it.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena to AdamB0

Premium Member

to AdamB0
said by AdamB0:

It IS an AT&T problem.

Although I would have no problem scolding AT&T for their crappy products, I don't believe it is ONLY AT&T. I do believe they are partly to blame, but at such a high level (main back bone routing) they can't really fix it that easy. It's more or less like having a freeway through a valley, knowing that you can't move the mountains around it to put the freeway somewhere else, you will have to take the freeway as it is.

Youtube is as much a part of the problem in this case. Their "freeways" route around different mountains, and sometimes they don't interconnect at the right spot for videostreams to be very effective.

Another reason I know this isn't specifically AT&T, is the problems reported by many other providers. Do some searches, and you will see that every single provider has now, or has in the past had issues with youtube. Even the coveted FIOS with their fast fiberoptics has had complaints with Youtube videos not loading/working.

This all said, I have AT&T U-Verse and never have youtube problems. Which would indicate localization also is a big issue.

One fix I have heard is using local DNS servers, as the ones from AT&T might be too far away, and makes you connect to a Google datacenter much further away.

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David

Premium Member

said by maartena:

Another reason I know this isn't specifically AT&T, is the problems reported by many other providers. Do some searches, and you will see that every single provider has now, or has in the past had issues with youtube. Even the coveted FIOS with their fast fiberoptics has had complaints with Youtube videos not loading/working.

Agreed, one FIOS guy stopped right by in this thread to report his FIOS isn't without problems either

Quote from earlier in this very thread!
said by praetoralpha:

Youtube has been sucking a lot for me lately (and I'm on FIOS!). I don't even try to watch at 1080p, and lately 720p and even 480p have been unreliable to load fast enough to watch without buffering.

So I don't think it has anything to do with the following

• intentiional throttling:
• being lazy/inept

my nintendo wii seems to be having problems playing youtube videos with it's new app. Although I don't expect the Wii to be the pinnacle of youtube videos. I thought I just about killed it with the hulu trial last year. I am still not really convinced there isn't still some damage to the wii after trying that.

On the further note I notice here on the corporate connection here at the office the buffering problem is happening here as well. As of late I have been having buffering on youtube no matter which wan port I pick at home either. Wan1 (ATT DSL) or Wan2 (charter cable), I can pick which connection I want and it still sucks.

my only defense... Atube catcher and watch it off a local drive. Someone told me about trying waterfox for my 64 bit system and see if that makes some changes. I am going to set that up for tonight, as google chrome has pissed me off for the last time.
Expand your moderator at work

TestBoy
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

TestBoy to HelpPlz

Premium Member

to HelpPlz

Well tonight its a lot better.
I can't stream 1080p videos but I can almost stream 720p vids.
If I let them start then pause it for a few minutes it seems to buffer it enough to let it play the rest of the way.

Let's hope it lasts a little while....
slckusr
Premium Member
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC

slckusr to HelpPlz

Premium Member

to HelpPlz
I havent been able to watch Youtube for a couple weeks now, It will stream if i go lower than 720p, but buffers\stutters. I built a new computer during this time and still have the same effect. Any devices connected to my network suffer the same fate. (tablet,phone). Netflix works flawlessly, as do other video streaming sites /shrug.

Good to know its not just me though, Might make a call or do something else useless to make me feel better about it.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena

Premium Member

said by slckusr:

Netflix works flawlessly, as do other video streaming sites /shrug.

This should also tell you that it isn't specifically AT&T.

cob_
1310nm Of Goodness
Premium Member
join:2003-07-08
Tulsa, OK

cob_

Premium Member

said by maartena:

said by slckusr:

Netflix works flawlessly, as do other video streaming sites /shrug.

This should also tell you that it isn't specifically AT&T.

Think I'd agree with that statement at this point, unless it is a routing issue between Google and AT&T. Hopefully both parties are aware and looking into it.
davidmi58
join:2001-04-22
Chicago, IL

davidmi58 to HelpPlz

to HelpPlz
This continues to suck so badly. I hope someone is trying to fix it. I can't even make it though a video without multiple buffering even at 240. HD is pointless. Very frustrating.
Come on, ATT! Let's get it done!
srudenko
join:2009-06-28
Alvin, TX

srudenko to cob_

to cob_
Why does YouTube work perfectly when I am connected via Comcast or Verizon LTE yet sucks when I am on ATT Uverse?

Dennis
Mod
Algonquin, IL

Dennis

Mod

Well you'll be taking a different route and probably coming into a different interface depending on what server farm youtube is hosting that video from or where it decided to put you based on assumed geographical data.

Before AdamB deactivated his account I got his data and we tried to reproduce the issue via the same equipment he uses and didn't have any luck. As I've said I also can't reproduce it here on my Chicago Uverse line either sadly.

David
Premium Member
Granite City, IL

David to HelpPlz

Premium Member

to HelpPlz
I know I don't have uverse as of yet, but if you want the DSL at the house has had this problem off and on for a while now. Would that help you any or not?

Again, not uverse so don't know if it would or would not help.

Dennis
Mod
Algonquin, IL

Dennis

Mod

yes a wireshark packet capture would tell us the symptoms of the issue.

FYI I dropped an email to google/youtube but haven't heard anything back. They might just think I'm crazy or not even know who to push the issue to.
Expand your moderator at work

cob_
1310nm Of Goodness
Premium Member
join:2003-07-08
Tulsa, OK

cob_ to srudenko

Premium Member

to srudenko

said by srudenko:

Why does YouTube work perfectly when I am connected via Comcast or Verizon LTE yet sucks when I am on ATT Uverse?

As I posted above, it depends on which server you are load balanced to. Some videos will play flawlessly for me, while others are unwatchable. The only difference is which server I am balanced to, and the route to it. Bad ones have a couple of extra hops after the point at which AT&T hands off to Google.

David
Premium Member
Granite City, IL

1 edit

David to Dennis

Premium Member

to Dennis
said by Dennis:

They might just think I'm crazy

I am glad you said that, not me. Leaves me off the hook now!

Although anyone with uverse that has this problem a wireshark packet capture as well would probably be most welcomed.
jsw13
join:2013-02-21
Chicago, IL

1 edit

jsw13

capture_2013···-21a.zip
34,489 bytes
Wire Shark Capture
I have uverse in Chicago and youtube is super slow for me. It even buffers at 240p. Speed tests show normal speeds for me which normally allowed for 720p without buffering.

I have attached a wireshark packet capture.

EDIT:

After some more google searching, I tried forcing my computer to access a different server by blocking the one I was using, r19---sn-q4f7dne7.c.youtube.com, via my hosts file. This brought my speed back up to normal.