uniqs
share rss forum feed

sbcadguy

join:2009-12-06
Colton, CA
reply to StillLearn

Re: Youtube sucks for me

said by StillLearn:

said by sbcadguy See ProfileBased of Google searches, there are a lot of people saying they are having the problem.
[/BQUOTE :

You haven't even established that the problem is.
-?? Not sure what you mean by this. Nobody had seemed to determine the exact problem. Just a temp workaround so far. I'm just a user here trying to participating in this discussion.

You ignored the IPv6 inquiry and request.
-I did not, it wasn't directed at me. It was directed to jsw. I was planning on testing the IPv6 theory when I get home tonight either way.

I don't, and never have, worked for ATT or related.
-no one ever said you were. My statement above was directed to Dennis (see the "reply to Dennis" part of the post).

Dennis
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL
kudos:5

1 edit
reply to HelpPlz
Ok new question what OS is everyone using?

RG: 2wire 3800HGV-B
IPv6 on in network interface: yes

edit: i have a 3800 not a 3801

cob_
1310nm Of Goodness
Premium
join:2003-07-08
Tulsa, OK
reply to HelpPlz
I've done some more packet capturing, here's a larger list of bad hosts. The loopback addresses are in place because I'm adding them to my hosts file as I encounter them. I didn't trace to all of them, but I assume they have the extra 2 hops after the AT&T > Google handoff we've seen with the previous ones.

127.0.0.1 r20---sn-q4f7dnee.c.youtube.com
127.0.0.1 r18---sn-q4f7dnez.c.youtube.com
127.0.0.1 r9---sn-q4f7dney.c.youtube.com
127.0.0.1 r14---sn-q4f7dnle.c.youtube.com
127.0.0.1 r20---sn-q4f7dnez.c.youtube.com
127.0.0.1 r2---sn-q4f7dnle.c.youtube.com
127.0.0.1 r9---sn-q4f7dnse.c.youtube.com
127.0.0.1 r5---sn-q4f7dnl6.c.youtube.com
127.0.0.1 r17---sn-q4f7dnle.c.youtube.com
127.0.0.1 r6---sn-q4f7dnle.c.youtube.com
127.0.0.1 r9---sn-q4f7dne7.c.youtube.com
127.0.0.1 r5---sn-q4f7dnse.c.youtube.com
127.0.0.1 r8---sn-q4f7dne7.c.youtube.com
--
"No matter how hard you push and no matter what the priority, you can't increase the speed of light."

- RFC 1925

sbcadguy

join:2009-12-06
Colton, CA
reply to Dennis
U-Verse RG: 2Wire 3800HGV-B
IPv6 on in network interface: yes

Currently blocking server: »r13---sn-q4f7dnse.c.youtube.com

shermdog

join:2002-09-30
Hazelwood, MO
reply to cob_
I also observed some of these servers having an issue. I'd suspect it has to do w/ the peering (although it appears to be post AT&T handoff).

Either way, null routing that list appears to have helped and I'll continue to monitor this thread until we get something better than a band-aid figured out

zbludgeon

@sbcglobal.net
reply to Dennis
RG: 2wire 3801HGV
IPv6: Off in network settings

Also tried blocking various youtube servers in my hosts file and it hasnt helped.

Paralel

join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US
kudos:4
reply to HelpPlz
RG: 2wire 3801HGV

OS: Win 7 x64/Win 8 x64/OS X Snow Leopard/Win XP SP3 (multiple systems and users at the residence confirming the issue)

IPv6 on in network interface: No, none of them.

Issue is only occasional, not chronic. If I have trouble with 720p, I'm having trouble with 240p. 1080p rarely seems to work without buffering. I have the 12/1.5 service, which runs at full speed minus overhead with a ping of ~40 ms.

Dennis
Premium,Mod
Algonquin, IL
reply to HelpPlz
So here is a funny thing.

All along I haven't really had any issues testing with my main Win 7 x64 OS using Firefox. Tried it with Win XP no real issues either (wireless box).

Last night right before I went to bed I remembered that there is a youtube on our Samsung flat panel we just bought. Turned it on and they don't give you an option for picture quality, so I'm assuming it was 720 or 1080p and the buffering on just a single music video was horrible. There are a lot of complaints in the google forum's regarding youtube and tv's.

Need to figure out a way to see what server my TV using. Also need to carve out time to test on my main rig at same time at night (hard with three kids).
--
My Blog. Because I desperately need the acknowledgement of others.

The Judd Family site!

StillLearn
Premium
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
reply to Paralel
said by Paralel:

OS: Win 7 x64/Win 8 x64/OS X Snow Leopard/Win XP SP3 (multiple systems and users at the residence confirming the issue)

You sometimes you get lagging on each of the 4 computers watching videos?

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to HelpPlz
something that makes me wonder is if these integrated devices are aiming at the bad server list as part of the app?

putting the pc's streaming on top of the integrated devices and that could create some headaches/traffic jams so-to-speak

worth a thought//
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!

cob_
1310nm Of Goodness
Premium
join:2003-07-08
Tulsa, OK
reply to Dennis
I think you guys are making a mistake believing that this has something to do with anything inside your house. This is clearly a routing or bandwidth straining issue between either AT&T and Google or within Google's network.

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
said by cob_:

I think you guys are making a mistake believing that this has something to do with anything inside your house. This is clearly a routing or bandwidth straining issue between either AT&T and Google or within Google's network.

It's clearly an AT&T issue when YouTube's own graphs show AT&T being at least 20% slower than the other ISPs.
--
PRescott7-2097

Dennis
Premium,Mod
Algonquin, IL
reply to cob_
said by cob_:

Agreed. What I was saying was that the servers they pre-program or divine through whatever method they use for their tv based youtube app might possibly shine light on what it going wrong. DNS servers do not currently offer geographical data so they must have a magic method to get you to the closest server farm.

They are youtube/google, that means they have thousands of geographical based server farms behind load balancers and apparently only a few exhibit this issue based on an unknown factor.

(the only reason I mentioned OS was in the off change winxp was negotiating a smaller tcp mss)
--

The Judd Family site!

Dennis
Premium,Mod
Algonquin, IL
reply to joako
said by joako:

It's clearly an AT&T issue when YouTube's own graphs show AT&T being at least 20% slower than the other ISPs.

I don't see how that is a smoking gun. There are reports from CA, OH, and FL with issues and also other ISP's complaining. Not to mention a multitude of people complaining about their smart TV's youtube app buffering like crazy.

I want to find an issue and fix it. Trying my best but just saying it's an issue based off that doesn't really help much. I'm even here on peak time watching video to prove it.

Maybe I haven't seen the graphs you are referring too. Can you share the link? I hope you don't mean this:
»www.youtube.com/my_speed
--

The Judd Family site!

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
Granite City, IL
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to HelpPlz
said by joako:

Well if that's all the evidence we need then I want the other smoking gun answered that's pointing toward google. Why should I have to block google/youtube links below in order for google/youtube to work?

said by cob_:

127.0.0.1 r20---sn-q4f7dnee.c.youtube.com
127.0.0.1 r18---sn-q4f7dnez.c.youtube.com
127.0.0.1 r9---sn-q4f7dney.c.youtube.com
127.0.0.1 r14---sn-q4f7dnle.c.youtube.com
127.0.0.1 r20---sn-q4f7dnez.c.youtube.com
127.0.0.1 r2---sn-q4f7dnle.c.youtube.com
127.0.0.1 r9---sn-q4f7dnse.c.youtube.com
127.0.0.1 r5---sn-q4f7dnl6.c.youtube.com
127.0.0.1 r17---sn-q4f7dnle.c.youtube.com
127.0.0.1 r6---sn-q4f7dnle.c.youtube.com
127.0.0.1 r9---sn-q4f7dne7.c.youtube.com
127.0.0.1 r5---sn-q4f7dnse.c.youtube.com
127.0.0.1 r8---sn-q4f7dne7.c.youtube.com

I added those to my hosts list and out of the 2 of the 4 pc's I have 2 have no problems streaming google/youtube videos now, while the other two still.

I am sure google is just going to open up and tell me why.
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to joako
said by joako:

I'm with Dennis See Profile on asking if you mean this:

My YouTube speed graph.

You need to know something about what is being graphed. In this case, AT&T and Comcast are averaged together as the blue line. My speed (black line) is not averaged with my ISP reported average (yellow line).
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

frank124c

join:2003-12-04
Brooklyn, NY
reply to HelpPlz
I have Verizon DSL in Brooklyn NY and I have found that YouTube works best for me if I use the Chrome browser and if I temporarily disable my AVG antivirus program. With AVG on YouTube starts and stops for me and it also starts and stops when I use Firefox. I don't know if this would help you with your FIOS problem but you may want to try it.
--
visit my great chess site: »www.webmasterfrank.com

Paralel

join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US
kudos:4
reply to StillLearn
said by StillLearn:

said by Paralel:

You sometimes you get lagging on each of the 4 computers watching videos?

I'm not sure what you're trying to ask as that doesn't appear to be a coherent sentence.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by Paralel:

I'm not sure what you're trying to ask as that doesn't appear to be a coherent sentence.

Try reading it with only one, "you". The position of the adverb, relative to the second person personal pronoun is flexible. Could have been the result of a massive edit of an originally longer post; BTDTGTTS.
--
Norman
Expand your moderator at work

Lagz
Premium
join:2000-09-03
The Rock

1 edit
reply to HelpPlz

Re: Youtube sucks for me

Pretty much sucks in my area too.

ATT uverse 12/2 with a static IP package.
Windows 7 64 ultimate...
Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and 12.10

Disabled ipv6 and still sucks .. will put that list in my hosts file and see if this clears up.

--
When somebody tells you nothing is impossible, ask him to dribble a football.

Dennis
Premium,Mod
Algonquin, IL
said by Lagz:

Pretty much sucks in my area too.

ATT uverse 12/3 with a static IP package.
Windows 7 64 ultimate...
Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and 12.10

Disabled ipv6 and still sucks .. will put that list in my hosts file and see if this clears up.

Whoa....3mb? What does a speed test look like to you? I find it odd that you have 12mb package and youtube only reports under 3mb.
--

The Judd Family site!

Lagz
Premium
The Rock

3 edits
Typo on the first post. I have 12/2. You can see from my test history even back in june of last year I have yet to break 6000Kbps here at DSLR,

even though I am suppose to have 12/2. Even my upload is lacking, although that's acceptable.

At speedtest.net I get...

The funny thing is that isn't even my IP address shown. My IP Addresses in my block all start with 108.x.x.x ...
I blocked those servers and still having issues with youtube.

edit: the laptop that took that speed test at speedtest.net was hooked directly to my 2wire modem. That laptop is also what took the 2 most recent speed tests here at DSLR. All my other computers have the correct addresses. They are all attached to separate router/switches configured with my IP addresses.
--

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
Granite City, IL
reply to HelpPlz
it cleared up mine, I listed mine in the hotbrick's URL filter. Quick downloads so far right from youtube. Haven't tested the nintendo wii yet, but if it works, I am leaving it.

Lagz
Premium
The Rock
reply to HelpPlz
I have included those addresses in my hosts.
Trying to watch this at 720p is like pulling hair

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9xTloaoLFo

--

doubleohwhat

join:2008-10-25
Birmingham, AL
reply to David
said by David:

it cleared up mine, I listed mine in the hotbrick's URL filter. Quick downloads so far right from youtube.

Same here. Adding those servers to my hosts file pretty much solved my youtube issues.

StillLearn
Premium
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL
reply to Lagz
said by Lagz:

Typo on the first post. I have 12/2.

12/1.5 would be a more common plan.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
Granite City, IL
reply to Lagz
Try blocking the following IP: 173.194.55.38

I believe that's the IP that might be giving you the trouble. It is not giving me any trouble and the video plays fine.

Lagz
Premium
The Rock
It plays fine at 720p?

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Lagz
Reading your graph:

• There is no result for your connection (would be black).

• Your ISP connection (yellow line) will not factor out slower, ADSL connections, which will weigh against your result.

Referring back to my graph, it is significant to note that my connection speed, as measured at YouTube, is 2x my ISP average. My ISP average is weighted down by the connections which are resold ILEC connections (ADSL in the case of my ISP), while my connection is pure CLEC hardware (ADSL2+).

YouTube does not differentiate between U-verse and non-U-verse; "AT&T is AT&T". Pretty much makes the graph useless for looking at class problems within an ISP with different connection types, be it resold ILEC service (ADSL-only for Sonic.net because AT&T does not offer U-verse as a wholesale service) versus pure CLEC (ADSL2+ for Sonic.net "Fusion"), or ADSL with ATM vs IPDSL.

And watch more YouTube; a lot more. You don't have enough data points on your connection to display your performance. Hmm. Even signed out, I still show my connection performance, so maybe you need to have an account, and be signed in to accumulate data. Makes their graph even more useless.

I should also point out that the city graph averages the regional ISPs together, so AT&T weighs my city average down from where it would be if AT&T were broken out from the average.
--
Norman